Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 02:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,723,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
That may very well be, but "your feelings" about when life actually begins aren't relevant to the exercise of their constitutional rights by others. You can name the source of yours (I'm not trying to), but as I posted in another thread, the source of most such feelings turns out to be one of a) religious dogma, b) disinformation, and c) unfiltered emotion. Clearly, none from among these three can remotely reach the level of invalidating a constitutional right.
What law created isn't subjective? It's a cop out to claim otherwise. Please name a law that has had no attachment of feeling involved in its writing or approval process.

Quote:
Again reprising from another thread, life is a continuum with birth and death being processes that can be observed within it. There isn't this binary need to define a discrete beginning or end to life. Both a sperm and ovum are life of human origin before fertilization commences.
There is if there are laws pertaining to the artificial ending of that life. There has to be a clear definition of who the laws apply to, and who rights apply to.

Quote:
In the legal sense, meanwhile, the issue has been resolved since the founding of the republic, and in our culture and tradition from well before. Birth is the the legal start point. Those who would seek to up-end such centuries of law and tradition will need to bring a rather convincing secular argument of their case along with them. Many have tried. None has succeeded.
If birth starts it, why in some states does a double murder charge stand when someone kills a pregnant woman?

Why are fetuses given rights of inheritence?

Does a person who is born deserve all Constitutional protections?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:13 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,126,843 times
I'm curious (and lazy); can someone tell me how much it costs and how long it normally takes to go through the adoption process?? Do agencies charge a flat-fee? If I wanted to adopt a newborn this year, any newborn, and I went into XYZ adoption agency what would I expect?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:15 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,474,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
I don't know either, but I suspect that all the babies would be adopted. As I posted earlier, in 1984, when my husband and I adopted, the statistics were 700,000 couples desiring babies to every 1 baby available for adoption.

And no doubt, some women would elect to keep their babies if abortion were not an option.
im thinking you may have added an extra 0 or so

Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,644,814 times
Murder is not constitutional.

I do not get my view from emotion. I do not get if from religion. I do not get it from disinformation.

I have a right to talk about it as a man because I am a former "fetus" that could have legally been murdered if my parents had chosen.

Apparently there are secular people with the view that life is important, regardless of what stage it is in:

Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League

Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
I'm curious (and lazy); can someone tell me how much it costs and how long it normally takes to go through the adoption process?? Do agencies charge a flat-fee? If I wanted to adopt a newborn this year, any newborn, and I went into XYZ adoption agency what would I expect?
It depends if it's a private adoption or through the state. In either case expect to go through extensive background checks, review of your medical records, home interviews.

Some of it borders on insanity, my friends that are looking to adopt had to get a locking cabinet for any movies that were PG13 or above. They had to put all medicines in a locked cabinet, and then put that locked cabinet in a safe. They had to put knives (silverware) not in a drawer, but on a cabinet shelf. Every upstairs room had to have a posted fire escape plan. The list went on and on...

I can understand not wanting to place kids with wackjobs, but they're not taking kids out of homes because there are PG13 movies that aren't locked up, and there isn't a posted escape plan somewhere.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:22 PM

5,169 posts, read 11,452,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post

Apparently there are secular people with the view that life is important, regardless of what stage it is in:

Atheist and Agnostic Pro-Life League
It just proves that you can not compartmentalize people and fit them in neat little boxes.

Here are some religious groups, for Choice...

Catholics for a Free Choice - About Us

Ohio Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice

Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Choice -- Issues (http://www.ircrc.org/issues.html - broken link)

Last edited by katzenfreund; 02-07-2008 at 03:23 PM.. Reason: forgot a word!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:31 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,759,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Children Awaiting Parents (http://www.capbook.org/gallery.php?category=6 - broken link)

Wednesday's Child (http://adopt.org/servlet/page?_pageid=289&_dad=portal30&_schema=PORTAL30 - broken link)

A Child's Waiting
The problem here is that all of those folks who tout adoption as the answer/alternative to abortion want only perfect little Caucasian infants.

The abused child, the older child, the handicapped child, the child of color--how can you expect someone to adopt a child with baggage from a former life? Tabula rosa--for those who are looking to adopt their mini me's, a child that they can mold to fit their idea of the perfect son or daughter. A child that falls out of that category falls completely off the radar.

Forget that there are children who truly need parents to love them. For most who complain about their inability to adopt, I seriously doubt the more difficult to place children are even a passing thought.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
The problem here is that all of those folks who tout adoption as the answer/alternative to abortion want only perfect little Caucasian infants.

The abused child, the older child, the handicapped child, the child of color--how can you expect someone to adopt a child with baggage from a former life? Tabula rosa--for those who are looking to adopt their mini me's, a child that they can mold to fit their idea of the perfect son or daughter. A child that falls out of that category falls completely off the radar.

Forget that there are children who truly need parents to love them. For most who complain about their inability to adopt, I seriously doubt the more difficult to place children are even a passing thought.
The discussion is not about older children... as I said, if women start giving birth to a 10 year old child, then we can have that discussion. Otherwise, start a new thread.

Since women give birth to infants, and there are people waiting for infants, there is a demonstrated demand for the infants that would result if abortions were ceased.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:37 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,474,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
It doesn't apply to me, why? Because you want to demonize Christians as being hypocrits?

Yes, in my opinion, you are being narrow minded in associating people who object to abortion as hating gays. Next you're going to assume that I am pro death penalty as well, because your motive appears to be trying to make people look hypocritical.
Is there a reason you want to fight rather then just calmly discuss because you certainly sound like it.

My question was a hypothetical, clearly I worded it poorly. I was saying IF science had proven being Gay was genetic, not that they already have.

AND my question was indeed aimed at some christians who are not only hypocritical but also feel that being gay is wrong. Since you are not a christian, my question doesn't apply to you.

You sound like your looking for a reason to be insulting and stir the pot frankly.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:38 PM
AT9

691 posts, read 1,221,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
We know y'all are very fervent in your desire to prevent all abortions.

But, are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

Would you be willing to pay, for 18 (or more) years the full cost of a child if a mother decided to not abort?

Would you be willing to adopt children, no matter how many there are?
Well.... if we could stop illegal's from crossing the border unchecked, we could save litterally hundreds of billions of dollars. Also, I think some people would be a lot more careful about having kids if they knew that they wouldn't have abortion as a cop-out. So yeah, I would put my money where my mouth is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies