Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 09:44 AM

10,757 posts, read 35,437,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Again with the generalization... you assume that I'm Christian because I am anti-abortion. I'm not overreacting, I'm actually floored that you are being narrow minded about this. The thought of killing an unborn child makes me sick, but most of my friends are gay and I am not Christian (or Jewish, or Muslim, or Hindu).
Then I don't get your reply at all, clearly my original question didn't even apply to you. Duh.

I'm being narrow minded?

I'm the athiest who says I think it should be legal but would never do it myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 09:53 AM

3,982 posts, read 10,462,106 times
so, are we saying every baby is adopted?

would that still happen if there were a million (or more) new babies EVERY yr?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Then I don't get your reply at all, clearly my original question didn't even apply to you. Duh.

I'm being narrow minded?

I'm the athiest who says I think it should be legal but would never do it myself.
It doesn't apply to me, why? Because you want to demonize Christians as being hypocrits?

Yes, in my opinion, you are being narrow minded in associating people who object to abortion as hating gays. Next you're going to assume that I am pro death penalty as well, because your motive appears to be trying to make people look hypocritical.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:13 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post

That's a good question... valid question. I'm not sure we can predict the number of additional babies that would be born if abortion were illegal.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:17 AM

7 posts, read 17,069 times
I think cultural and societal influences plays a more important role. Gender/Orientation in itself isn't a biological creation, it is a cultural one. The values and meanings that we derive from gender orientation are learned values and meanings that have been perpetuated and reinforced throughout all times and in every culture, there are differences between masculinity and femininity in gender orientation within different cultures but they are quite marginal in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
I'm curious for people who don't believe in abortion no matter what.

What if your wife or you were pregnant. Science has PROVEN that being Gay is genetic and they have come up with a test to be done prior to birth.

If you found out your son or daughter was going to be born Gay, what would you do?

Keeping in mind that science has proven its genetic, like having blue eyes or being tall or short. No amount of counseling would change it.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:24 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,269,800 times
Quote:

Quote:
That's a good question... valid question. I'm not sure we can predict the number of additional babies that would be born if abortion were illegal.
I don't know either, but I suspect that all the babies would be adopted. As I posted earlier, in 1984, when my husband and I adopted, the statistics were 700,000 couples desiring babies to every 1 baby available for adoption.

And no doubt, some women would elect to keep their babies if abortion were not an option.

Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
if that were true, why are there so many kids in orphanages?
because the tend to not be "healthy white infants"......

Old 02-07-2008, 01:53 PM

365 posts, read 699,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Unenumerated rights are retained not by the states, but by the people. It is only unenumerated powers that are reserved to the states, or to the people.

Meanwhile, the two basic human rights that the Bill of Rights provides specificity to are the right to a free conscience, and the right to be left alone. Absent the establishment of a valid and compelling state interest, these rights may not be violated by any legislature -- local, state, or federal.
I wish more people would listen to you...having had two abortions, the hate view on this subject is so totally ruling the rep of young mothers or innocent people who have had bad experiences...and not all abortions are even performed anymore in medical settings to lead to a prosecution, in fact, more are finished at home by the mother thru drugs...this issue in an of itself is the one thing that right now is holding me back from joining the republican party, they just cant seem to let this gun totting theory out of their heads....

Old 02-07-2008, 02:00 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petertherock View Post
Abortion and immorality is the biggest threat to national security we have. It's even a bigger threat than Osama Bin Laden. Who is Jesus? Jesus is true God and true MAN. This means when you follow Christ you are becoming human. When we evict Jesus from schools, the workplace, the public square, our homes, etc. We become less than humans and that's when you have the problems we have with society.

Abortion is the killing of an innocent human being in it's own mothers womb!! The human race is supposed to be the most intelligent of all animals yet we are the only ones in nature that purposely kill our young while it's still in the womb!! So the pro abortion people say "It's my body!" No it's not! It's the child's body!! They will say "Why shouldn't I have a right to choose?" This is the only place in the English language where we don't complete the sentence! The right to choose what?!?! The right to choose to kill an innocent baby? Do I have the right to terminate the life of someone I don't agree with? Do I have the right to choose to kill someone because I don't like their face? No! I don't.

Remember, God protects His friends. He destroys His enemies. If we individually and as a nation don't start to repent and follow Jesus then 9/11 is going to look like a walk in the park. That's what I guarantee. The attacks on 9/11 were a wakeup call. If we don't wake up and follow Jesus then we are in for long dark days ahead. Abortion and immorality is the top of the list of what we have to end if we want to save ourselves and our country.
but from His teachings in the bible, I don't recall Jesus bringing up the topic of abortion and the importance of stopping it.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:05 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Gimme a break... I don't buy that you don't realize the true issue is when life actually begins. You're much smarter than that.
That may very well be, but "your feelings" about when life actually begins aren't relevant to the exercise of their constitutional rights by others. You can name the source of yours (I'm not trying to), but as I posted in another thread, the source of most such feelings turns out to be one of a) religious dogma, b) disinformation, and c) unfiltered emotion. Clearly, none from among these three can remotely reach the level of invalidating a constitutional right.

Quote:
I'm not asking you to believe anything... we just need to define when life begins and when life ends. Then define what life is worth protecting and what is not. If it's not considered human life until it exits the womb after 9 months, then it's a no brainer.
Again reprising from another thread, life is a continuum with birth and death being processes that can be observed within it. There isn't this binary need to define a discrete beginning or end to life. Both a sperm and ovum are life of human origin before fertilization commences.

In the legal sense, meanwhile, the issue has been resolved since the founding of the republic, and in our culture and tradition from well before. Birth is the the legal start point. Those who would seek to up-end such centuries of law and tradition will need to bring a rather convincing secular argument of their case along with them. Many have tried. None has succeeded.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies