Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:16 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,812 times

Advertisements

A true conservative would not be either for or against "gay rights"...there are rights everyone should have, but no groups should be singled out for special rights.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:02 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,742,119 times
From everything I hear the Republican party wants goverment OUT of peoples personnal lives,less goverment, etc.
So leave gay people have ALL the rights the rest of us do.
If someone wants an abortion, it should be THEIR decision NOT the goverments.

I wish some people would realize that life is to darn short to get into others business.
Get a hobby, go out and have fun but above all live your own life.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:04 PM

112 posts, read 180,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
And what rights are you talking about?

If a man and a woman love each other but don't want get married but do spend the lives together why souldn't they have the same benifits too....Where do you draw the line ?
Sure they can have a civil union too if they do not want a "church" marriage, I don't see a problem with it really. :/

Old 02-07-2008, 07:09 PM

7 posts, read 17,070 times
That is what I agree with. I mean Church and homosexuality does not mix. That I have to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hektic View Post
Sure they can have a civil union too if they do not want a "church" marriage, I don't see a problem with it really. :/

Old 02-07-2008, 08:15 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
A true conservative would not be either for or against "gay rights"...there are rights everyone should have, but no groups should be singled out for special rights.
Exactly. Consenting, sane human adults should be able to marry each other regardless of the sexes involved. If the .gov has an issue on religious grounds then we have a problem... and they do have an issue on religious grounds.

Personally, I'd like to see the .gov out of the marriage business altogether. Civil unions for everyone, since as far as the .gov is concerned marriage is a property/family contract and nothing more.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyudi View Post
That is what I agree with. I mean Church and homosexuality does not mix. That I have to say.
Which church? Why does it even matter in civil law whether church and homosexuality mix, where and how?

Old 02-07-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hektic View Post
Even with myself being gay I don't really care if we can get married or not, just give all the same rights to civil unions.
Until something really big happens on a Federal level there will still be inadequacies. See NJ: civil unions are legal with all same rights, benefits, obligations as marriage, but Federal institutions don't have to grand same-sex couples a thing because they explicitly require "married" for benefit sharing, etc. Either civil unions for everyone or marriage for everyone. Creating two systems to satisfy some people's bigotry is silly.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:16 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyudi View Post
Forgive me for sounding a bit stereotyped, but does the Republican Party support Gay Rights? President Bush for example is in large opposition in gay rights

What will Mccain do (likely republican candidate) for the Gay Rights issue? I think the Democrats are a little bit more intact with an issue like that. There is still a form of discrimination. Should Gay Marriage be legal everywhere in the U.S? Here is what I think.

if the Government does not want to call it 'marriage' then fine, allow civil unions with the exact same rights. Marriage originated as a religious institution which perceived women as property. Would we not rather have a new, tolerant institution based on equality? And if that means civil unions, so be it. Let the religious zealots keep the title 'marriage".
I never get the whole against gay marriage thing..

I mean WHY are people so against what others do. Two gay men or woman living and loving each other and being given the legal right to be married ..I mean HOW does that hurt anyone or impact anyone outside of that gay union that someone would object to it.

Basically when two people are married legally they have the right to health insurance together as husband and wife and are basically considered next of kin.. what's so bad about that..

Aren't we supposed to be a country that seperates church and state.. and legal marriage and religios marriage, (while you can be both legally married and religiously married at the same time.. you can not be religiously married without legally be married) are two seperate things.

Let them be (and I am a straight married woman!). It doesn't bother me AT ALL!

Old 02-07-2008, 11:57 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
I don't really think it is the gov'ts right to tell people who they can and can't share benifits with, and who they can leave their inheritances with. The person works for their money and benefits not the gov't, so if they want to marry same sex they should be able to. By the way I'm a Republican, so I have some issues with my own party on this issue. I see it as an invasion of privacy.
I think you hit it right on the head... in fact if republican ideals were correctly promoted within the party concerning smaller government and privacy, republicans would be the gay rights party... Problem is, that for the longest time they have been the party of evangelicals and they avoid the issue completely because one stance will go against their ideals.. and the other stance will cause them to lose their religious base...the reality of it is though.. its not a matter of one party going to make anything happen more than the other.. its the framework of our constitution and bill of rights that will determine and make the case. Allowing for gay marriage or lack of gay marriage should not be handled by voting.. it is something that must be handled in the court system where a judge who is knowledgable of the constitution and weighs the gay marriage issue against that very document.. Religious leaders are the ones that have called judges "rogue" and what not when they rule in favor of gay marriage, when the reality is they are just upset that their point of view was not reflected in the decision. Its typical mob mentality that is undermining the works of our nation, the judicial branch of government is meant to exist for that specific reason, so that the wishes of the majority are not infringing on the rights and liberties of a minority group. It is a place where anyone no matter how small can bring your case to the court... the religious right want to ensure that their interpretation of the constitution is reflected in our judicial system, which is why many gay issues end up going all the way to the supreme court because there is no adequate explaination within the context of our law to make a judge rule against it. Unless of course a bigoted law is added to the constitution, which is what they are pushing for now...

Last edited by boiseguy; 02-08-2008 at 12:06 AM..

Old 02-08-2008, 12:40 AM

8 posts, read 19,300 times
I don’t support any gay marriages at all. In fact, I think it should be illegal still. Having a partner of the opposite sex is rough because you can’t understand your partner all the time. This is because men and woman are completely different. I find it very offensive seeing 2 guys kiss. I think those guys are taking the easy way out rather than trying to work on their relationships with the opposite sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies