Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 04:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Where are all the liberals? As soon as I brought up diversity in NBA, they all scattered. Why is that?
Why didn't you mention the NHL?

The NBA tried Affirmative Action (in favor of whites) and decided that they didn't like it. Read the history of the NBA.

Don't blame blacks or liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 04:26 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Intel has every right to hire whomever they choose. If they want these people, then they must have a good reason.
No they don't. They can't hire based race, gender, or sexual orientation etc.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why didn't you mention the NHL?

The NBA tried Affirmative Action (in favor of whites) and decided that they didn't like it. Read the history of the NBA.

Don't blame blacks or liberals.
Yes, NHL too.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:36 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
Quote:
Yes, NHL too.
Too late.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:40 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I can imagine the screams if the NBA would limit the percentage of AA to 60% "because we need diversity of whites and asians".
No, how about 13% and the rest distributed by ethinc % and also half female...now that would be fair.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:47 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
it has nothing to do with not wanting you or anyone else on the job...what it has to do with, is qualifications. When you make a people, hire people that beat out qualified workers b/c they are minorities, white woman included, you automatically cause the company problems due to them not being qualified.

plus, if you are brown skinned or a woman, and you walk into a business with confidence and know how, you WILL be hired. Yes, there are some still alive that are racist...that will never stop until all of society is educated as such and it has to start within the children.

Also, it is time, that brown skinned people apply themselves...I work with brown skinned people who out and out tell me, that people who sit back and collect welfare, make is so much harder on their reputations...
Believe me it did not take black people being on welfare to gain negative reputations, that was something that has happened over 100 years before I was born. From the sound of it, my behind would not want to associate with blacks who think we are viewed in a negative light due to some blacks being on welfare, those negros have some serious self-hate issues. That is like me saying most whites should feel bad for the mistreatment of my people, even if they had nothing to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I've also seen where black people with ethnic names have a harder time even getting in to interview. Here's an idea...stop naming your kids Shaniqua, and Taniqua, and you won't have an issue. When I see those type of names, I have a feeling that they will be someone who values their blackness more than doing a good job.
I have a better idea..how bout not judging a candidate by their name and race? You expect them to come into the job have a black power agenda and obsess about race while they are supposed to be working cause of their name? Are we as blacks not supposed to value who we are to make others feel more comfortable??

As far as the issue in the article at hand, I am sure you will see less and less Americans of all colours trying to get into the tech field. It is a very saturated field with too many people trying to break in, and nowhere near enough jobs for them. Add to that not many real entry level jobs and all the outsourcing going on. You can keep that field as far as I am concerned!!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:53 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
I need some help from the liberals. How is this not racism and sexism?

"Intel set a goal last year: Of all new hires, 40 percent have to be women or under-represented minorities (black, Latino, Native American). The company had never hit that level in the past. So for Intel, it was an ambitious goal. And the company reports today: It managed to exceed it, hitting 43.1 percent."

Intel Discloses Diversity Data, Challenges Tech Industry To Follow Suit : All Tech Considered : NPR

Also why is there no diversity initiative in mining, drilling, farming and construction industry where the vast majority of the workers are men??? How about athletes? NBA? NFL where most players are of a protected race. Why no diversity is acceptable?

Aren't poor people a minority and underrepresented?

Old 02-04-2016, 06:55 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
No they don't. They can't hire based race, gender, or sexual orientation etc.

Who's going to stop them?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 PM

16,552 posts, read 8,584,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

All I have been saying is that there is nothing wrong with hiring well-qualified women and underrepresented minorities in technical positions. Apparently, this is a liberal position, and a cause for disagreement.

Look, it is very easy to discuss this in the abstract, and I have found over the years people in industries/occupations that are not affected by diversity hiring/promotions are much more tolerant of them.
Yet I have a liberal friend who was freaking out that their kid was not getting into certain colleges because they had a diversity goal program that allowed kids with lesser grades and SAT/ACT score to get in.
Needless to say, then it sunk in because it hit home.

Affirmative action and other similar programs admit less qualified kids, hire less qualified people, promote less qualified and less senior personnel etc.
Yet if it never effects you or your family, many people just shrug their shoulders assuming it will never have an impact on their lives. However, if the paramedic coming to your house to save your Mom during a heart attack is a AA hire, and has trouble reading the rhythm or administers the wrong dosage of medication, your Mom might be a victim.
Or a friend/relative needs to be carried down multiple stories in a building fire, and some physically inferior woman is the one who needs to save them.
Or the cop who cannot subdue a suspect, so they use lethal force when not appropriate, then everyone in the city pays more money to cover the civil suit judgment and/or ensuing insurance rate hikes.
Heck look at the woman who was hired by the FD despite failing her physical, and within a couple of weeks is out on disability because she fell off the truck in the station.
The list can go on and on, but you get the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
Affirmitave action and quotas are discriminatory and actually damaging for minorities. It says " you can't compete on a level playing field based on skills and competency so we are going to give you an edge". Any minorities that are hired are then viewed as less capable than non minorities.

I've also seen where black people with ethnic names have a harder time even getting in to interview. Here's an idea...stop naming your kids Shaniqua, and Taniqua, and you won't have an issue. When I see those type of names, I have a feeling that they will be someone who values their blackness more than doing a good job. I feel like they will probably be the first to file EEOC suits based on discrimination if they are fired for work related misbehavior/incompetence. I know that may not be PC to admit, but that has been my experience.

Two interesting point to your post.
First I have a black friend who hates affirmative action because even though he made a successful career as a FDA, it is assumed he got where he is because of AA.

Second regarding "blackness" via certain names, I have spoken to several white people with businesses who assume the exact same thing regarding them having been raised with a racial chip on their shoulder. So the first time they are instructed about poor performance or need to be fired, it will be assumed it is racial rather than the real reason. Who would want to bring that upon themselves in the first place.
Granted the name Shaniqua or Trayvon will not automatically mean the person is afrocentric, but it doesn't help.

`

Old 02-05-2016, 03:03 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It's often intangible, or basically people who feel most comfortable around their coworkers in a professional environment. If the organization is overwhelmingly white and Asian males, then the new hires that will interact most seamlessly will tend to be - get this - white and Asian males.

Giving qualified people who have different experiences a chance is not racism or sexism.
Your perspective is extremely racist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies