Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2016, 10:05 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankrj View Post
You watch ESPN nowadays and think it is the View"... Companies need to hire the best candidates. However, under-represented groups do have an argument if they are in the local community yet are overlooked.
The NBA is already doing this with Euro and South American players. How many guys are there now with last names ending in "vic" pronounced "Vitch"? The problem is the NFL, and NBA are trying to appease the international crowd for money and turns their back on their own qualified athletes.
Seriously? I don't see many white and Asian players given white and Asians are the largest population in the world. They are certainly underrepresented majority!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:08 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It's often intangible, or basically people who feel most comfortable around their coworkers in a professional environment. If the organization is overwhelmingly white and Asian males, then the new hires that will interact most seamlessly will tend to be - get this - white and Asian males.

Giving qualified people who have different experiences a chance is not racism or sexism.

"It's often intangible" = made up bull ****!

Old 02-10-2016, 11:41 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Another one who doesn't get it.

Sorry, can't help ya.

Cal Tech is all about merit, and the people it admits are testimony to that.

Exactly.

Wrong.

Merit means you can actually perform open-heart surgery successfully, pilot a 747-400 successfully, or play Beethoven's Pathetique Sonata in a way that wins audiences over in Carnegie Hall.

Merit is not you deciding to destroy your own company/business by hiring a bunch of losers and incompetents.

Wrong.
Dude, I love how you grabbed extreme examples out of desperation.

Companies don't go to temp agencies to hire pilots and cardiologists.

You can go a whole lifetime and never meet a 747 pilot or a heart surgeon. Have anymore totally ridiculous examples?

Old 02-10-2016, 03:37 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
I hope some of you realize the diversity is a stupid notion.

Unless there's a law saying we can't hire certain race, the basic economic rule would easily determine the best candidate with the least demand for compensation would win every time.

One only need to look at construction and farming jobs which are dominated by Latinos, often illegal immigrants who barely speak any English. Why? That's Economics 101.

Old 02-10-2016, 03:46 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
Actually the thing is that the decision to hire someone isn't always based on who is most qualified. There are other factors such as "how can I get someone to do this work for less money". In many cases the best person isn't hired because different department heads don't want to spend the extra money. We don't hire from overseas because they're just flat out better. It's that companies can get away with paying them less. Mostly because H1B kind of doesn't give them much of a choice in terms of what job they can and can't take.

With that out of the way, at the end of the day hiring will always come down to the judgement of an individual person in an individual team or business unit. The CEO of companies don't tell individual managers whom they should hire, because the CEO doesn't know that managers problems as well as that manager does.

Why are there less black and hispanic candidates in tech? Well as a black tech worker, it's probably because blacks almost never apply for tech jobs in the first place. But in general there aren't many Americans who take interest in tech to begin with. Tech isn't sexy. Go to any software engineering team, and you will hardly see any white people either. What really is missing is more diversity at the highest level of management.

The funny thing is that there are a lot of blacks and hispanics at senior VP and EVP levels in many companies. Yet they seem to be missing from managers and senior managers with specific Line Of Business focuses. And this leads to me last theory, more blacks and hispanics seem to be interested in general business than specific domains.

Old 02-11-2016, 04:13 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Dude, I love how you grabbed extreme examples out of desperation.

Companies don't go to temp agencies to hire pilots and cardiologists.

You can go a whole lifetime and never meet a 747 pilot or a heart surgeon. Have anymore totally ridiculous examples?
I know top people in all kinds of professions.

But I guess that's just me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Actually the thing is that the decision to hire someone isn't always based on who is most qualified. There are other factors such as "how can I get someone to do this work for less money". In many cases the best person isn't hired because different department heads don't want to spend the extra money. We don't hire from overseas because they're just flat out better. It's that companies can get away with paying them less. Mostly because H1B kind of doesn't give them much of a choice in terms of what job they can and can't take.
Companies want the best for a price that will allow them to make a profit.

There are also, of course, less tangible factors such as personality, likability, etc.

Race and gender have nothing to do with all of that -- unless companies are forced to take it into account.

Quote:
Why are there less black and hispanic candidates in tech? Well as a black tech worker, it's probably because blacks almost never apply for tech jobs in the first place. But in general there aren't many Americans who take interest in tech to begin with. Tech isn't sexy. Go to any software engineering team, and you will hardly see any white people either. What really is missing is more diversity at the highest level of management. The funny thing is that there are a lot of blacks and hispanics at senior VP and EVP levels in many companies. Yet they seem to be missing from managers and senior managers with specific Line Of Business focuses. And this leads to me last theory, more blacks and hispanics seem to be interested in general business than specific domains.
Good points.

Interests, talents, and advantages to employers tend to cluster in certain groups.

Blacks: Music, Sports, add to diversity

Asians: Technology, add to diversity

Latinos: Work for less if illegal, add to diversity

Women: Being "hot" (to men), add to diversity

White males: Better be really good at what you do, already rich or at least cute, or you're out of luck.

Then there are odd-ball cases, such as: If you want to be hired as the conductor of an American symphony orchestra, you better have a foreign accent.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-11-2016 at 04:28 AM..

Old 02-11-2016, 04:23 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,372,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I need some help from the liberals. How is this not racism and sexism?

"Intel set a goal last year: Of all new hires, 40 percent have to be women or under-represented minorities (black, Latino, Native American). The company had never hit that level in the past. So for Intel, it was an ambitious goal. And the company reports today: It managed to exceed it, hitting 43.1 percent."

Intel Discloses Diversity Data, Challenges Tech Industry To Follow Suit : All Tech Considered : NPR

Also why is there no diversity initiative in mining, drilling, farming and construction industry where the vast majority of the workers are men??? How about athletes? NBA? NFL where most players are of a protected race. Why no diversity is acceptable?
It is the very definition of racism and sexism. Have a nice day---as long as you're not a white male.

Old 02-11-2016, 05:53 AM

Lack of diversity actually is more harmful to companies than you think. In one respect a company certainly expect to get money from minorities, yet refuse to hire them. That usually doesn't look good. But the lack of minorities isn't very easy to explain. And I think forcing people to hire a certain type of person unusually not the best solution.

The key here is that tech is merciless. And there is no field that is more susceptible to disruption than tech. The thing is it is much easier to raise money, much easier to build out infrastructure now. That black or Hispanic tech companies isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Don't think for a second that older companies like Intel who have experienced about 2 to 3 waves of technological disruption doesn't recognize that at some point they're going to hit a plateau. This is why they're trying hard to retroactively get ahead of the curve.

The thing is that possible minority entries into the emerging tech market can leave a lot of companies behind the curve. Older companies like Intel really has no idea how to reach out to a the minority talent base. And as a result they'll be losing out on a potential talent base that could come back to bite them.

Moral of the story in tech is to never underestimate anyone. Me personally think that solid black owned and Hispanic owned tech businesses will emerge and google up all of this talent. And things will get very interesting.

Old 02-11-2016, 06:37 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Lack of diversity actually is more harmful to companies than you think. In one respect a company certainly expect to get money from minorities, yet refuse to hire them. That usually doesn't look good. But the lack of minorities isn't very easy to explain. And I think forcing people to hire a certain type of person unusually not the best solution.

The key here is that tech is merciless. And there is no field that is more susceptible to disruption than tech. The thing is it is much easier to raise money, much easier to build out infrastructure now. That black or Hispanic tech companies isn't a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

Don't think for a second that older companies like Intel who have experienced about 2 to 3 waves of technological disruption doesn't recognize that at some point they're going to hit a plateau. This is why they're trying hard to retroactively get ahead of the curve.

The thing is that possible minority entries into the emerging tech market can leave a lot of companies behind the curve. Older companies like Intel really has no idea how to reach out to a the minority talent base. And as a result they'll be losing out on a potential talent base that could come back to bite them.

Moral of the story in tech is to never underestimate anyone. Me personally think that solid black owned and Hispanic owned tech businesses will emerge and google up all of this talent. And things will get very interesting.
"In one respect a company certainly expect to get money from minorities, yet refuse to hire them."

I don't know of a single person, except maybe you, who, when going to buy a product,or need a service, etc., asks themselves, "was this made by a white or a black" before buying it unless they are the picture perfect example of "racist"

Old 02-11-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"In one respect a company certainly expect to get money from minorities, yet refuse to hire them."

I don't know of a single person, except maybe you, who, when going to buy a product,or need a service, etc., asks themselves, "was this made by a white or a black" before buying it unless they are the picture perfect example of "racist"

Well let's think about it. If there was a black tech company that never hired white people, do you think most white people would support that business or buy it's product? Pretty sure they wouldn't.

It doesn't factor into my decision, but it does for a lot of people. But I'm pretty sure most of these companies are afraid of competitors who are black and hispanic in origin that may take the black and hispanic consumer and talent base away from the likes of Intel or other established companies. What tech has shown us it's damn near impossible to shut down competition like it is in other industries like medical or finance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies