Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,829,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I'd be co tent if white people were sentenced the same way as people of color. White people sell and use more drugs than black People, but we only arrest black people...
No they do not. You can believe that all you want to make yourself feel better though.

I like for you to show me the masses of whites who are caught with drugs and are not arrested.

I have no idea why you stick your head in the sand over the disproportionate amount of crime blacks, specifically young blacks males, commit. Sticking your head in the sand does not solve any problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,592,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Like it or not, the best tech companies have the best "culture"

There is a war to build the “best workplace in the world” – free food, unlimited vacation, yoga classes, beer bashes, and bright open offices are everywhere.

Best tech companies attract the best folks. Many east coast tech companies have lost their best aerospace engineers to google.

Great for brochures, not the actual reality of working in tech. The reality of tech work is being stuck at your computer trying to push out code before the next sprint. Triages and fixathons to try to figure out why certain features broke. Eating lunches at desk, and hours spent in Agile meetings. Such as demos, sprint planning, retroactives, and grooming.

The whole image that developers work in a paradise is false. And yes I've worked for a big tech company before in Silicon Valley. You know who enjoy this stuff? The marketing, sales, and UX teams, not actual engineers.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:04 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
No they do not. You can believe that all you want to make yourself feel better though.

I like for you to show me the masses of whites who are caught with drugs and are not arrested.

I have no idea why you stick your head in the sand over the disproportionate amount of crime blacks, specifically young blacks males, commit. Sticking your head in the sand does not solve any problem.
You should do your research:
When It Comes To Illegal Drug Use, White America Does The Crime, Black America Gets The Time

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rested-for-it/

And for advanced reading:
http://www.amazon.com/The-New-Crow-I.../dp/1595586431

Old 02-11-2016, 10:06 PM

39,231 posts, read 27,623,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Great for brochures, not the actual reality of working in tech. The reality of tech work is being stuck at your computer trying to push out code before the next sprint. Triages and fixathons to try to figure out why certain features broke. Eating lunches at desk, and hours spent in Agile meetings. Such as demos, sprint planning, retroactives, and grooming.

The whole image that developers work in a paradise is false. And yes I've worked for a big tech company before in Silicon Valley. You know who enjoy this stuff? The marketing, sales, and UX teams, not actual engineers.
well, I agree with you. especially the bolded.

But it is great for brochures, like you said.

My ex actually told me the marketing and sales made promises he couldn't keep, and he was not happy about that.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Great programmers have the ability to make both masterful/quick/dirty hacks and elegant/refined/robust solutions, and the wisdom to choose which is appropriate for a given problem.

I've dated two software engineers, One Chinese-American, one white. Both said they have yet to see a project done overseas at that sort of hourly rate that has actually gone well.

When the myth of cheap, abundant programming abroad is shattered, there is a lot more reason for the next generation of talent to take on and excel at a craft that creates real value.

Nope, companies will most certainly hire cheaper talent no matter what their relative skill level is. Upper management feel that they can just throw more developers at a problem than actual produce quality code. You are speaking from someone who has no inside knowledge of the field. I speak as a person who has actually trained offshore teams myself.

And if companies don't hire cheap talent, you could have fooled me. I see a lot of people coming from Cognizant, PwC, TCS, WiPro, KPMG, and other consultancy agencies that sponsor offshore work. Large portions of development teams are either already offshore or upper management wants to make them offshore. The purpose of onshore talent is to fire fight and get things stable enough to hand off to offshore.

Take from someone who has been in the industry for 15 years at many levels. Upper management hate engineering teams, and begrudgingly give them funding or the tools to succeed. Technology focused upper management is almost always low on the totem pole compared to his/her peers.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
So, you are stating there needs to be quotas to ensure someone from Africa and someone from Mexico is hired?
No. But there are smart people from a variety of bavkgrounds. If you only recruit from the same 3 schools, don't be surprised when you get the same ideas, the same perspective and over time subpar results.

Why Diverse Teams Create Better Work | Inc.com
Why diversity matters | McKinsey & Company
How Diversity Makes Us Smarter - Scientific American

The companies that want to compete in our increasingly global world are making changes.

Why don't we talk about twitter? It is about 90% male and mostly white. It's users are 40% black and Latino. It sucks to be twitter's stock right now. You think they could use some insights from people that resemble their user base?

Twitter
Twitter's only black lead engineer quits over 'diversity issues' (Wired UK)

I'd wager their lack of employee diversity is harming them. User growth is declining.......

Old 02-11-2016, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Nope, companies will most certainly hire cheaper talent no matter what their relative skill level is. Upper management feel that they can just throw more developers at a problem than actual produce quality code. You are speaking from someone who has no inside knowledge of the field. I speak as a person who has actually trained offshore teams myself.

And if companies don't hire cheap talent, you could have fooled me. I see a lot of people coming from Cognizant, PwC, TCS, WiPro, KPMG, and other consultancy agencies that sponsor offshore work. Large portions of development teams are either already offshore or upper management wants to make them offshore. The purpose of onshore talent is to fire fight and get things stable enough to hand off to offshore.

Take from someone who has been in the industry for 15 years at many levels. Upper management hate engineering teams, and begrudgingly give them funding or the tools to succeed. Technology focused upper management is almost always low on the totem pole compared to his/her peers.
No what? what is wrong with you?

I said

When the myth of cheap, abundant programming abroad is shattered, there is a lot more reason for the next generation of talent to take on and excel at a craft that creates real value.

of course this is not going to happen.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:19 PM

Quote:
well, I agree with you. especially the bolded.

But it is great for brochures, like you said.

My ex actually told me the marketing and sales made promises he couldn't keep, and he was not happy about that.
Depends on what breed of tech company you have. I have worked at some where the product is so important (saas) that marketing can't even update the website. It is tied to product team sprints. So good luck fixing typos. Or doing anything major.y transformative beyond making the sign up for my product button bigger.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
That is a big reason why I no longer became interested in the tech field. After getting laid off from a job I decided it was time for a career change. I foolishly acquired a masters in CIS thinking that would at least get my foot in the door, wrong. I acquired certs people told me to get, and I am told to get more certs and some experience.

At this point I am pretty much done trying to break into the field. I was brought on to a tech company to do secretary type work until I pass another cert so I could finally do tech work, but now I am realizing that it is all a pipe dream. I now would rather work in a field where I would work equally hard, but would have the potential to earn more. It is a great field, if you can break into it, and there is potential for a lot of growth. I too am black and I agree with you on what you are saying. I knew things were bad because many white dudes who were actually tech experts for years can't get anything because they just cost too much.

Anything that ask for a cert is a waste of time. Certs are usually for some sort of network engineering job, which is saturated already. You really want to get into some sort of software development with some focus on big data or web. And put up a github account then build an actual portfolio.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Depends on what breed of tech company you have. I have worked at some where the product is so important (saas) that marketing can't even update the website. It is tied to product team sprints. So good luck fixing typos. Or doing anything major.y transformative beyond making the sign up for my product button bigger.
well, both my exes are software developers / engineers.

According to them, the employer has someone they want to hire and bring in on a H1B visa, so they taylor the job description to people they want to hire and import, who will work for less money. But both said, they have yet to see a project done overseas at that sort of hourly rate that has actually gone well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies