Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 07:45 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Also, playing sports is not an equivalent to IT careers or business careers. Sports, for the players, is a game.

If you want to use sports, you should look at the business side. How diverse are owners and executives of sporting franchises?

The players, IMO are more like the clerical staff at a business. You usually find the diverse persons in those positions and mid to upper level management.
Uh; not many clerical people make 6 figure salaries. That's "star" money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:27 PM

566 posts, read 504,269 times
Jesse has been screaming for diversity in the prison system as 75% of residents are black, oh and 1/10th of 1% are Jews!

Old 02-17-2016, 11:40 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
But athletes are treated like the help. Those high salaries come with a lot of strings.

Old 02-18-2016, 01:03 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,546,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This has been a really big problem. The top 10% in one school might not make the top 40% in another school. So some of the best qualified students don't get in.
True, but parents have the choice of living where they are zoned to a less competitive high school, giving their offspring a better chance of attaining a top 10% ranking. The last I heard, the UT Austin campus = top 8%, and that the school has found a way around the rule for some, so some students are outside the top 10%.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:07 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Players in sports make pennies compared to the Owners just like clerical staff make pennies compared to an executive as such they are equivalent positions within their respective organizations.

Old 02-18-2016, 11:30 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"In one respect a company certainly expect to get money from minorities, yet refuse to hire them."

I don't know of a single person, except maybe you, who, when going to buy a product,or need a service, etc., asks themselves, "was this made by a white or a black" before buying it unless they are the picture perfect example of "racist"
In regards to the bold, actually there are people, who are not racist who do indeed ask themselves those questions.

As a black woman, one that came quickly to my mind is black hair care products, especially for black women with "natural" hair, meaning not chemically processed.

Many large beauty/cosmetic companies make natural hair care products for black American women in particular due to us spending more on average, on our hair and beauty versus other women.

Since being "natural" became a phenomenon about 5-8 years ago, and more and more black women are not chemically modifying their hair (I have actually had Korean hair store owners tell me they are worried about these trends as they have had to really change the way they do business! Which is a great thing IMO for the health of black women BTW).

The products marketed to black women for our hair did not keep up with the trend for "natural" haircare and as a result black beauticians/cosmetologist and lay persons created "natural" hair care products for us. Kinky Kurly, Taliah Wa'jid, Miss Jessies, and other's are very new to the hair care market and they have experience a huge growth in customers from black women whereas more black women are now buying products from black owned companies created by black women. In the past 2-3 years, larger companies have started to focus more on the "natural" hair care products used by black women and so they have been DIVERSIFYING their product lines to include natural hair care products, based a lot on the newer products which don't include certain chemicals and additives.

Today, I know MANY black women, including myself who are more inclined to trust and buy a product made by a black female owned company versus a large corporation who is not as "into" or knowledgeable about our hair than black women. So when I see new products, I do look to see who is the corporation/manufacturer of a hair care product. Many of the large corporations also have poor ingredients. Black owned companies also provide more influx of dollars into black neighborhoods, communities, and initiatives versus many larger companies, especially mainstreat cosmetic/beauty product companies who aren't even American companies.

I don't do this with all products but for leave in conditioners and detanglers, I only use black female company products and nothing else. I trust that they are more knowledgeable about natural products for our hair. And I will admit that that is a biased viewpoint but it is one that is shared by many other black women. I don't think it is racist as I do use some mainstream beauty/hair products but for certain ones I don't. I don't think white people know much about black women's hair in general. And I don't even think that that is biased or prejudicial as most don't.

Old 12-09-2020, 06:30 PM

91 posts, read 119,855 times
Smile Possible answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
I need some help from the liberals. How is this not racism and sexism?

"Intel set a goal last year: Of all new hires, 40 percent have to be women or under-represented minorities (black, Latino, Native American). The company had never hit that level in the past. So for Intel, it was an ambitious goal. And the company reports today: It managed to exceed it, hitting 43.1 percent."

Intel Discloses Diversity Data, Challenges Tech Industry To Follow Suit : All Tech Considered : NPR

Also why is there no diversity initiative in mining, drilling, farming and construction industry where the vast majority of the workers are men??? How about athletes? NBA? NFL where most players are of a protected race. Why no diversity is acceptable?
Hi friend I am not a progressive and I am not too liberal. The picks that President Elect Biden has announced thus far may seem that way to some people because the choices of American leaders and leaders of our companies have always been the (opposite). The vast majority were American leadership and leaders of our companies were basically (race)White and mainly (sex)men.James Brown's song, "Its a Man's World" comes to mind. It is evident that ours has been a one man's world as far as leadership overall for decades. Naturally, it may seem to be racist and sexist to those of us to whom this has always been the norm, unless we view it from the other shoes of other races. President Elect Biden's administration will no doubt contain a majority or equal amount of White men and women when he completes his nominations. Although minorities stood in the pouring rain braving the pandemic and obstacles and gave him the votes necessary to win the positions which the non White people were appointed to are second in command jobs. His very qualified Vice President Elect is Asian and Black and she is the only one I have seen in an in charge seat so far unless the GOP allow him a waiver for the retired military man he nominated as they did President Trump. Isn't the NFL open for all races who wish to join? Larry Bird who is White was one of the greatest baseball players as was Magic Johnson who is Black during my day.

Last edited by pajones3; 12-09-2020 at 07:20 PM..

Old 12-09-2020, 06:43 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,329,280 times
It's truly amazing that the people that have had multiple centuries of advantages in every possible facet of life in America are now crying that they still need more help.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:06 PM

2,774 posts, read 903,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mash123 View Post
I can imagine the screams if the NBA would limit the percentage of AA to 60% "because we need diversity of whites and asians".
I quit watching the NFL a few years ago when Kapernick started his kneeling and anti cop antics and the NFL didn't put a stop to it. I had a discussion about it with some in-laws when asked why I said I'll start watching football again when it "looks like America", setting racial quotas for each team to meet, meaning only 12% of players can be black and they must find a place for Hispanics, Jews, Asians, etc.. Can't recall who it was, maybe Obama who liked the term "looks like America" referring to the proper proportion of minorities be present in an and all organizations.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:30 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
It depends on how it's being implemented.
No, it doesn't.

It's racism and sexism. Flatly unconstitutional, as well as insulting and demeaning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies