Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2016, 12:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Local governments have used economic development as a reason for Eminent Domain all along.

In 2005 a SCOTUS made clear local governments have the right to impose Eminent Domain to spur economic development.

Offers are negotiated and most are appealed and settled.
This is true, but it is frequently abused. It's a tool to enrich wealthy buddies of local politicians. SCOTUS made a disastrous error.

Theft-by-Government Continues Through Eminent Domain - Reason.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2016, 03:18 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,610,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
So I assume I wouldn't be guilty of theft if I took your car and left a check for the market value? Seems like theft if I do it...not trying to trap either of you here, just pointing out the inconsistency.
If I'm parking my car in a spot where they need to build an interstate highway that would benefit millions of people and they pay me twice what my car is worth, yes, take the old jalopy!

Old 02-08-2016, 03:41 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Should eminent domain be allowed for private companies, foreign companies, sports arenas, etc..
Eminent domain is a necessary evil for large public/private infrastructure projects like highways, power lines pipelines etc. They could not go forward without it.

Stadiums, malls and other commercial development should never fall into that category.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:43 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,820,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
What is your opinion about eminent domain? Sort of like asking my opinion of a hammer, its a tool the issue isn't whether or not we should have hammers but what we are going to use it for.
Can you elaborate on how you would, or would not, like the eminent domain hammer used?

Old 02-08-2016, 03:45 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
I've learned from this thread that a scary number of people don't know much about eminent domain, its history, or how the process works.

Old 02-08-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
This is true, but it is frequently abused.
Locally there was this historic hotel that one of those quasi public/private government agencies decided to renovate. The adjacent parking lot that had been part of the hotel had been sold many years before, they went after it with eminent domain for you guessed it... a parking lot. They spent 6 million dollars of public money part of which went to obtain the lot, because they never secured the roof of the building it ended up having to get torn down anyway.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I've learned from this thread that a scary number of people don't know much about eminent domain, its history, or how the process works.
Would appreciate it if you teach us what we need to know about it.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:18 PM

45,397 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:

I already have.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Without eminent domain there is no water pipes, no sewage pipes, no roads, no gasoline, no oil, no electric, no natural gas, no railroads etc. These types of projects cannot go forward without eminent domain. At best you would end up with a patchwork of infrastructure that is going to be very costly, inefficient and unreliable.

That said the abuses where it's used because the property is desirable for commercial development is outrageous in my opinion.

Old 02-08-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Without eminent domain there is no water pipes, no sewage pipes, no roads, no gasoline, no oil, no electric, no natural gas, no railroads etc. These types of projects cannot go forward without eminent domain. At best you would end up with a patchwork of infrastructure that is going to be very costly, inefficient and unreliable.

That said the abuses where it's used because the property is desirable for commercial development is outrageous in my opinion.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies