Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2016, 12:08 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,594,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
[sarcasm]Yes, before the government got involved in anti-segregation, there was no segregation, blacks and whites lives together and sang kumbaya in warm embraces.[/sarcasm]

What was the climate like pre -post-segregation? SEGREGATION!

Yes, and guess what segregation existed because of government. The government ended Jim Crow, not government sponsored segregation. The government give people incentives to separate based on race. There are still banks that will never give people of any racial background a loan not matter what their income is. And this is largely based on queues from, THE CENSUS! Who owns the census? The government. So yes the government still keeps segergationist policies alive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 12:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,671,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
The only thing that has kept racism alive is government

I totally agree!

Force Force Force.

The idiots think it is great until all the resentment builds.

Then all these intellectuals cannot figure out what they did, that caused it to get twice as bad.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:16 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So the government put the gun in Dylann Roof's hands and told him to kill nine people in the Emmanuel African Methodist Church?

Racism is taught, not legislated.
Exactly. The frequent racist posts we see are not published by the government. They're posted by people.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:17 PM

50,881 posts, read 24,384,032 times
Quote:
Really. Racism is not legislated? Then how do you explain affirmative actions. How do you explain the government purposely making universities create race based studies not legislation? Quotas aren't legislation right? Racial profiling isn't based on a quota right? And sure the government never acknowledge race, look how racially neutral the census are!

My bad! I'm just an idiot who just assumed that the very organization that created racial divisions to begin with is responsible for continued racial disharmony. My God, what an idiot I am. It's not like the government doesn't have the biggest platform or anything.
Essentially, what your argument is, is jealousy. I don't want group B to have what my group A has.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:20 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times
Quote:
Really. Racism is not legislated? Then how do you explain affirmative actions. How do you explain the government purposely making universities create race based studies not legislation? Quotas aren't legislation right? Racial profiling isn't based on a quota right? And sure the government never acknowledge race, look how racially neutral the census are!

My bad! I'm just an idiot who just assumed that the very organization that created racial divisions to begin with is responsible for continued racial disharmony. My God, what an idiot I am. It's not like the government doesn't have the biggest platform or anything.

Racism is not legislated. A racist policy is legislated, but not racism itself. Racism by definition (Merriam Webster)is the belief that all members of each race possess characteristics or abilities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.

Just as Jim Crow was racist legislation, the civil rights act, the voting rights act and affirmative action were legislated to COMBAT racist practices and policies in place at that time.

Some people believe that because a mixed race President is in the white house, that racism is dead in this country. Dylann Roof proved us wrong. Some of the posts and threads here prove us wrong. And as long as racism lives in this country, legislation will need to exist to make it harder to practice it as a matter of policy.

How about actually discussing the difference instead of overreacting.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:23 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,160,919 times
While government is not solely responsible surely they take some of the blame along with the biased media.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:26 PM

23,577 posts, read 17,249,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
So the government put the gun in Dylann Roof's hands and told him to kill nine people in the Emmanuel African Methodist Church?

Racism is taught, not legislated.
The government makes a point of legislating by the element of race on many issues. housing, workplace, edu, etc. Essentially emphasising differences which then beg the question why one is favored legislatively over the other and so dividing people. Disenfranchising each group from being whole and unified. Laws can't be written to apply to all humans? I mean these are lawyers wrting legislation and they can't come up with inclusive wording?

In God's eyes we are all equal but in the government's laws we are not.

Racism is indeed taught or learned and springs from the pool of differences the government has created and perpetuates.

Then again one might use a racial slur but by no means is a 'racist'. There is no equivalence between using a racial slur on occassion and not renting to someone because of skin color or physically attacking someone because of skin color. Zero tolerance makes the two equivalent.

The zero tolerance threshold is set so low, everyone is a racist and people resent being called racist when they are not. A strategy that leaves no hope and fosters rebellion. the exact same POV that race activists claim to own.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:28 PM

13,697 posts, read 9,019,963 times
Quote:

I see that you describe yourself as a black male, mid 30s, working in IT, apparently now in Seattle.

It is all too true that "government' had legislated laws separating people, based on their skin pigmentation, for a long, long time. I guess we shall admit that, on the Federal level, the official end of Constitutional racism was addressed by the three Civil War amendments.

Yet, obviously, government sponsored racism continued at the State and local levels. As the decades went on, such was addressed by, in part, the Civil Rights Acts of the mid 1960s, which sought to eliminate the last official (i.e., governmental) vestiges of prejudice based on skin pigmentation, as well as gender, etc. It was one thing for the Constitution to recognize you as a full citizen of the United States, including having the right to vote, but at the local level, especially in the South (like Atlanta, where you moved from to Seattle) it was a different ballgame for a century after the Civil War.

It is an oddity, in some ways. If you had been born in, say, 1940, you would probably be singing a different tune: i.e., you would have been fully in support of the efforts by Americans to halt all racism and prejudice. Your ability to live where you want, date or marry whom you wish, go to college, even do the occupation of your choice, would have been severely limited prior to the 1960s. Sure, you would have been welcomed into the Army to fight in Vietnam (in fact, the US Government would have insisted), but many black Americans wanted more out of life.

Some argue, as I guess you are, that the attempts by the 'government' to 'level the playing field' by mandating certain quotas (like demanding that Universities allow blacks entry) constitutes continuing racism. It may well be a valid argument for 2016, but I doubt you would have found many to subscribe to your belief in bygone eras. In some ways, you are standing on the bodies of those who came before, who fought and died to achieve equality, and you are claiming that it was all nonsense, that you do not require help.

The time will come, no doubt, when the official Census, for instance, will become color-blind. The time will come when Americans will deem any such laws that offer a hand to 'minorities' will be viewed as a relic of bygone ages. Perhaps it has arrived, although I think that problems still exist.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:31 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,123,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
The government makes a point of legislating by the element of race on many issues. housing, workplace, edu, etc. Essentially emphasising differences which then beg the question why one is favored legislatively over the other and so dividing people. Disenfranchising each group from being whole and unified. Laws can't be written to apply to all humans? I mean these are lawyers wrting legislation and they can't come up with inclusive wording?

In God's eyes we are all equal but in the government's laws we are not.

Racism is indeed taught or learned and springs from the pool of differences the government has created and perpetuates.

Then again one might use a racial slur but by no means is a 'racist'. There is no equivalence between using a racial slur on occassion and not renting to someone because of skin color or physically attacking someone because of skin color. Zero tolerance makes the two equivalent.

The zero tolerance threshold is set so low, everyone is a racist and people resent being called racist when they are not. A strategy that leaves no hope and fosters rebellion. the exact same POV that race activists claim to own.

Research why the legislation was passed in the first place. It was to stop or at least hinder the policies in place at the time.

To say racism does not exist in this country is not facing the facts. It is alive, though not as pronounced as it was 50 years ago.

Old 02-09-2016, 12:32 PM

24,512 posts, read 17,260,237 times
When Obama came along it seemed like we have talked and talked about race all the time.
I think we are all getting tired of it.

Take the Superbowl . There was talk that Cam Newton was too black whatever that means? The halftime Beyonce dance number featured an all black crew that were making a statement about the Black Panthers.... As we watched them bump and grind I said to my wife "there isn't any white women there" Did it upset me NO I would say that the white dancers didn't make the cut. I don't plan on protesting or boycotting anything.

On the flip side there are black actors that are boycotting the academy awards because they are not diverse enough? For that I say why can't black folk make better movies? It seems that a few years back they dominated the awards with the movie Selma and 12 years a slave ? You win some you lose some.
The academy is looking into the "problem" and will make changes so black films will have a chance.

Another example where a story about race came out. The Panthers head coach is hispanic. I heard this on NPR of all places that he will be the first Hispanic coach to in the Superbowl. Until they said that I saw him as a guy, a smart coach, a man.

Why do we need to put labels on everything and everybody especially when the powers that be tell us that we shouldn't ?

I'm getting mixed messages here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies