Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 01:03 PM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Really? Then that means that race would have been mentioned at some point in ancient text. But alas, it never is. Race seems to have only came around during European colonialism. It was never mentioned or acknowleged before that.

Race as it exist today is a completely socio-political construct not even remotely based on any sort of science. Nor is race itself once mentioned in the bible, if you want to come from a religious standpoint. Not only that race is not mentioned in ANY religious source of any religions.

Nothing wrong with blaming people responsible. Seems like there is plenty of evidence throughout history showing that the government is a huge instigator of race in general.

I am also not a victim. If I could change the government myself I would. And if I could change these practices I would. Problem is I can't change it unless there are a significant amount of other people who see the same issues with the government that I do.
you can blame people until the cows come home, but the point is...where do you stand? On your own, to conclude and work hard not to be racist, or allow it to fester and make you angry. It is over, gone, and history...no where to go but forward...you get to chose how to move forward, in a positive way or in a very blaming negative way...you can't fight city hall, but what you can do is structure yourself.

and yes, there were many different races in Biblical times, which is what caused wars...over land, power, greed and race or religions...remember the tower of Babel?

Egypt had slaves....racism has been around a lot longer then you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 01:13 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
you can blame people until the cows come home, but the point is...where do you stand? On your own, to conclude and work hard not to be racist, or allow it to fester and make you angry. It is over, gone, and history...no where to go but forward...you get to chose how to move forward, in a positive way or in a very blaming negative way...you can't fight city hall, but what you can do is structure yourself.

and yes, there were many different races in Biblical times, which is what caused wars...over land, power, greed and race or religions...remember the tower of Babel?

Egypt had slaves....racism has been around a lot longer then you know.
Egyptian slavery was not based on race. Slavery itself is not racist. American's rationality for slavery was racist.

I also do work on my own to not be racist. And in my mind I'm not. I would prefer that the government completely dissolve all racial classifications. As I mentioned several times. And I feel as long as racial categories exist, it's harmful to the overall morale of the America public. It's something I feel the government can most definitely pull the plug on. But never will.

Old 02-10-2016, 01:31 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Human beings inherently divide into "in-group" and "out-group," and nothing will change that. Even in prison, the gangs form along racial lines--blacks, hispanics, oriental, "Aryans." In public schools, blacks and whites commonly sit at different tables (unless they have a unifying group, such as the Theater Club).

There are some racially integrated in-groups: high-achieving African-Americans usually have no trouble being accepted into the ranks of successful professional, academic, political, or financial groups. The problem is with "average" African Americans and "average" white citizens: there is often no common ground to create a group that includes both. It could be done with a common enemy, but we're still back to having an "out-group" to hate.

Politicians don't practice what they preach, but they WILL try to exert control and power over the citizenry by enforcing popular ideas like integrating schools and housing (not theirs, of course). Big Government will always keep race a current issue, because it translates to more power to government--endless money spent chasing the impossible goals of equal outcomes in education and employment for races that vary significantly in their aptitudes and abilities.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:01 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,738,099 times
Quote:
Egyptian slavery was not based on race. Slavery itself is not racist. American's rationality for slavery was racist.

I also do work on my own to not be racist. And in my mind I'm not. I would prefer that the government completely dissolve all racial classifications. As I mentioned several times. And I feel as long as racial categories exist, it's harmful to the overall morale of the America public. It's something I feel the government can most definitely pull the plug on. But never will.
Agreed. If somebody's civil liberties are being trampled, then that's relevant. But government should be as colorblind as possible.

Still not agreeing with the idea that governments actually invented racism. They didn't. Human nature did. The only reason that black slavery was ever seen as acceptable in the USA was because the slaves were black and therefore looked very different. The inherent tribalism in human nature has astounding levels of tolerance for atrocity when the victims are "them" and not "us." Had it not been for that aspect of human nature, government couldn't and wouldn't have established/accepted black slavery.

Old 02-10-2016, 02:12 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,996,400 times
Quote:
The only thing that has kept racism alive is government
And the Left. They sure do love to promote racism, both real and especially imaginary. Anything to prevent "people of colour" from deserting the Democrat plantation.

When it comes to race, it's the Left who's cranky and obsessive

Liberals Don't Want to Have a Real Conversation About Race, They Just Want to Call Us Racists - The Rush Limbaugh Show

Old 02-10-2016, 03:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Agreed. If somebody's civil liberties are being trampled, then that's relevant. But government should be as colorblind as possible.

Still not agreeing with the idea that governments actually invented racism. They didn't. Human nature did. The only reason that black slavery was ever seen as acceptable in the USA was because the slaves were black and therefore looked very different. The inherent tribalism in human nature has astounding levels of tolerance for atrocity when the victims are "them" and not "us." Had it not been for that aspect of human nature, government couldn't and wouldn't have established/accepted black slavery.

I think the government did. As we can see that people don't really segregate themselves soley by color. For example in Bulgaria, there is a significant Turkish population there, but for the most part Bulgaria sees itself as homogenous, and really don't see Turkish who live there as different. But we can even go to Africa and the Yuroba tribe. It comprises of many people of several varying skin tones, yet they all see themselves as the same.

Yes I agree people are naturally tribalistic. I don't agree that these dividing lines will be naturally based on skin color. I feel that people will segregate across different lines such as class affiliation, and other things that are more about your life choices moreso than how you happen to look.

For example there are many reports that even state that the American lower class of blacks and whites were starting to find common ground in many cities. Even in the North East with blacks and Italians. The government blatantly decided to reclassify ethnic Europeans to break up the entire striving lower class. But we have seen examples of where people were willing to come together despite how different they look from each other.

I feel if you eliminated racial categorization you would actually change America. Whether you believe it or not, things will drastically change. For better or for worse is hard to tell.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:28 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Everyone knew their place.
Shanty Towns popped up everywhere and they were no all freedmen.
When life in the Shanty Towns was worse than living on the Plantation, the majority went back to be on the Plantation, where they could work for food, shelter and clean water.

The slaves once established, were actually treated well. Some as well as Paris Hilton, takes care of her little dog. The tools that made you money, are always taken care of, or you do not make money when they fail and break. Now after the war, instead of a beating for messing up, you got told to leave and it was hard times for you.

Woodrow Wilson, segregated the federal Army, right when things were in the beginning of meshing together. Did it also make it so no Negro could be a lawman? Seems I read about a Texas Ranger losing his job because of it.
Knew their place? Knew their place?? Knew their place???

You claim to be a Native American. What is your place? Should you only be allowed on a reservation? Or are you also an American who has every right to go everywhere in this country?

You don't say what your time frame is in your first paragraph. But since you talk about Freedmen, I assume during or right after the Civil War. Where do you get the idea that "the majority" went back to the plantations?

Slaves were treated well????? As well as Paris Hilton?????

And your last paragraph...rambling to the point I have no idea what you are talking about.

Old 02-10-2016, 04:31 PM

50,838 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
have you notice only government ask you what race you are, anybody else would be illegal, only governemt ask you what race you are on governemnt applications. yes government is keeping racist alive, always have. government was the one keep kids out of little rock high school. government was keeping student out of unvirsity of alabama. governemt always have their hand in it.
Which is why states' rights is a principle that belongs in the trash heap.

Old 02-11-2016, 11:15 AM

28,900 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:

yanno who else keeps racism alive is Al Sharpton, it's his job, without it he'd be broke...
I really dislike that man.

Old 02-11-2016, 01:55 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,173,997 times
Here's a good video to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tb2iFikOwYU
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies