Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2016, 11:36 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,710,489 times

Advertisements

How do you all feel about women being forced to sign up or the military? I agree big-time with Ted Cruz that it is a horrible idea. Here are a few reasons why I say this
1. We have an all volunteer force. This works well because those who serve do so of their own free will. The current military members all signed up for whatever is asked of them.
2. The draft: We haven't had the draft in effect in 40 years. I believe that this is a good thing, but any debate could be worth discussing.
3. However... it is only males (18-59) that are required to sign up. Why only males? Well, we have to answer question #2 to understand the big picture. The idea of equal rights for women (in the military) has been a hot topic lately. Women in combat? Thats a fair, but separate discussion.
The issue with women being FORCED into selective service is totally different. Why?
The draft is supposed to be used only in an emergency type situation (i.e. Vietnam) So, FORCING women to join the military would be a bad thing. here are a few reasons
a. These women have a chance, and a right to join, IF THEY WANT TO. In this case, we are talking about women who CHOSE not to join. So, the gov't is going to FORCE them to join. Some additional problems...
b. Women aren't as strong as men: This is a generalized statement, but true. So, we would be selecting (generally) a person who is weaker than an average man.
Lets say that you had 100 men and 100 women all gathered together in a gym. The general needs to pick 100 people for his fighting force to go kill bad guys. How would he choose? Well, a physical test would probably be a major factor at least. Sure, some of the women would be good choices. And, some of the men would look like bad choices. But, it would be unlikely that the general would pick more than 25 women. The draft does not work like that. A draft is randomly selected. So, you have a large pool of candidates, but it's pot luck of what you actually get.
c. Another problem is that women might have children. So, should we be breaking up families? Is is fair or smart to FORCE a single mom to the military while there are millions of able bodied men who could go instead? Think about that???
d. Women can get pregnant: What happens if & when a woman gets drafted and then gets pregnant? Well, at best it is a break in service. Even then, you now have a child who needs her mother. Chances are that it will end her military "career" (especially since she did not want to be there in the first place) so, it was a big waste of time and money altogether.

These are just some of the many real-life challenges and problems that we face if women are forced into the draft. And or those of you who say that they might not ever get drafted anyway... That is probably true. But, we would be spending millions of dollars to sign up people who would never get picked by the general. Do pro football teams have women on their practice squads? Why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2016, 11:41 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,457,569 times
They want equality so they need to register. It's an all or nothing thing, not a pick and choose thing.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:48 AM

1,914 posts, read 2,246,832 times
If we want to be treated equally, we should be expected to contribute equally.

Many women already serve voluntarily. I did. My military service was one of the best experiences of my life. I would do it all again without the slightest hesitation.

Old 02-12-2016, 11:58 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,602,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
If we want to be treated equally, we should be expected to contribute equally.

Many women already serve voluntarily. I did. My military service was one of the best experiences of my life. I would do it all again without the slightest hesitation.
Good for you, but your experience might not be the same as others, present, past or future.
Moreover, do you really think you have the right to impose military duty on your fellow
sister ? Isn't that anti-feminist ?
Women are not going to be required to register for the draft.
They would certainly resist such an infringement on their personal liberties.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,490,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Women must sign up for draft?
Yes.

[welcome to 2016]

Old 02-12-2016, 12:04 PM

4,876 posts, read 4,216,804 times
Most of the arguments in the OP could apply to men just as easily and are almost offensive to this woman. No, I have never served in the military although at one time I did consider it.

Equality is equality - there are probably quite a few men who would not want to sign up for the draft, why don't they get a choice?

And aren't men just as much a part of the family as women?

Some women would do better in combat roles than some men.

I have no problem with women being included in the draft or the selective service sign up.

It's not 1950 anymore.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:08 PM

858 posts, read 708,513 times
I don't understand why this is an issue. Men have to sign up. They are now just saying all must sign up. Either take away the requirement for all or add women. I see that as the only 2 real options to consider. The draft hasn't been used in a very long time and hopefully never again so i fail to see what the concern is.

to your points, i'll
a. These women have a chance, and a right to join, IF THEY WANT TO. In this case, we are talking about women who CHOSE not to join. So, the gov't is going to FORCE them to join. Some additional problems...
Same thing for men. I have the chance to join but i don't WANT to. Why should I be forced to go just because I am a man?
b. Women aren't as strong as men:
There are many jobs in the military. Even if not as strong, they can load planes, fly drones to name a few.
c. Another problem is that women might have children.
Guys don't have those same children? why should the children grow up without a daddy? There are single dads too.
d. Women can get pregnant:
Guys can shoot their toes off if they don't want to go. They can break their arms. I'm sure that happened during Vietnam

Old 02-12-2016, 12:09 PM

19,671 posts, read 12,260,591 times
If a draft ever happened the women suddenly would be getting pregnant in droves.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:10 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,481,710 times
I have no problem with either sex being required to register for selective service. I served with and under women. No problem. Not all military jobs are combat jobs requiring physical strength - note Jessica Lynch and Shoshana Johnson. I see many female soldiers in uniform in my town, one yesterday was late stage pregnant.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,602,854 times
It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies