Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 06:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I hope this is sarcasm.
Why? It makes sense. These employees already have all the skills. It's a one time investment to relocate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 PM

24,418 posts, read 23,076,143 times
Philly has a brakes company sending 1300 jobs to Mexico. I just heard this announced. But Mexico is sending 1300 welfare cases and drug dealers to the U.S. so it evens out.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Philly has a brakes company sending 1300 jobs to Mexico. I just heard this announced. But Mexico is sending 1300 welfare cases and drug dealers to the U.S. so it evens out.

Tariffs keep production here, along with the jobs.

Look! Future Trump voters

Old 02-17-2016, 10:44 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Yeah, but you might've missed these magic words:

Quote:
Jobs would be cut via so-called attrition or "natural wastage," where people leaving the company would not be replaced, since the German Mercedes employees are protected by an agreement of no compulsory redundancies until 2012.
If that were the United States, those employees would've been sent home without jobs before the CEO's head hit the pillow that evening after the decision.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:28 AM

4 posts, read 2,396 times
Sorry to hear about the closing, I went through the same in Ft Smith. AR. I worked at Whirlpool Corp for over 30 years, they decided to leave for Mexico. There were around 4500 workers there at one time, when they shut the doors I believe there were around 1200 or so. We heard about all same type of stuff from the union, state and city officials. Once Carrier decides to move not much if anything will change that. In fact less than a week of closing the union had sold their office building and were out of town too. I hope these folks get a decent severance package, which will likely include chance for some schooling and training. I wish them all Good Luck!

Old 02-18-2016, 10:34 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
I didn't realize President Obama was CEO, CFO or on the board of Carrier or if he had any say so in the dealings of American corporations. But thanks regardless, for the right wing nut website you posted.
Seriously...it's the CEOs, investors and Boards of Trustees who make these decisions. Most of the tax breaks companies like this will get, not to mention the inflated salaries of higher-ups and "golden parachutes" etc., as well as incentives received for moving offshore (aside from cheap labor) are things which, historically, have been championed by neocons.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:37 AM

4 posts, read 2,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Carrier is doing it to maximize profitability, Isn't that the point of Capitalism? They have no obligation to their employees other that what's required in their contracts or by law. There's nothing from stopping these 1400 future deadbeats from moving to Mexico if they want to retain their jobs.
Yes there are..I would almost bet my house the company wouldn't hire any of the hourly workers. Now some of the management people will be offered with a nice raise to go with it.

Old 02-18-2016, 10:41 AM

5,189 posts, read 5,337,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Mexican/south American workers are unreliable...
Where is this written? Do you have some study results to back this up, or is it perhaps just a supposition on your part that browner people from other nations don't work as well as white people from the USA?

Quote:
other companies have tried this and failed...
Which companies specifically? Some have done similar things and done very well (Fender Musical Instruments to name just one. Although they do still have a factory in Fullerton, CA, they have another plant in Mexico and the products made there sell very well and are of very high quality.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies