Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the phrase "Voting against their own interests" offensive to you, regardless of what pa
Yes 20 35.09%
No 10 17.54%
Doesn't bother me either way 27 47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
If the policy makes you poorer it is against your interest even if you support a policy on principle.
Not true at all. I have a lot of interests that are not economic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Am I the only one that finds this statement highly offensive? I usually hear it from democrats as what I can only assume is an attempt to covertly say "Look, you are an idiot and we know whats best for you" without actually saying it. The assumption that they know the background, inputs, desires, thought process, and life story of people they literally don't even know is incredibly arrogant.
I agree with you except it doesn't offend me. I just ignore the idiots who use this silly phrase.

Old 02-17-2016, 08:34 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,235,064 times
Quote:
Am I the only one that finds this statement highly offensive? I usually hear it from democrats as what I can only assume is an attempt to covertly say "Look, you are an idiot and we know whats best for you" without actually saying it. The assumption that they know the background, inputs, desires, thought process, and life story of people they literally don't even know is incredibly arrogant.
You hit the nail on the head. Democrats say this all the time because they have an attitude that they know what's best for you and everyone else and if you disagree with them, well, you obviously have no idea what's good for you. It's a totally condescending attitude, right in line with their reliance on dismissive snark as a tactic to shutdown dissent.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:34 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,397,248 times
I used to have the "voting against their own interests" perspective about middle and lower class republicans when I was a liberal. I get the logic. It seems so "obvious" when you are enveloped in it. However, it is based on a faulty assumption that politics is essentially a class war. It isn't.

What middle and lower class conservatives understand, and what liberal minorities understand (Blacks, Latinos, Jews, etc.), its that politics in multicultural nations is essentially an ethnic cold war. Only liberal gentile Whites seem to be ignorant of this reality.

I know both sides of both arguments, and the latter is the heartbreaking truth.

Old 02-17-2016, 02:43 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,994,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Exactly, that's me. Except I won't vote for the Republicans anymore because they are religious zealots and most want to kill me. And I won't for for democrats because THEY want to take my guns away so the Republicans CAN kill me.
WTF? Is this post for real or are you being ironical?

Old 02-17-2016, 03:01 PM

1,761 posts, read 1,714,046 times
To me it's meant to mean, "you're too stupid to even know what is in your own best interest and support those issues".

Just think how good things could be if everyone didn't vote what was in their immediate best interest and rather thought about things beyond the end of their nose or their immediate gratification. How do you even evaluate your best interest ? Many times you immediate best interest may conflict with your long term best interest. Sometimes you best interest may doom your next door neighbor. There are always conflicting ways of looking at things. Life is rarely black and white.

Sometimes things in my best interest line up perfectly with what I think are higher ideals that appeal to me, sometimes my own personal best interest doesn't line up with my higher ideals....and then I have to use that thing we call a brain to evaluate and weigh things out and sometimes fight it out internally until I come to a conclusion.

I've voted many times against my immediate best interest in elections or for local bond issues etc... You're a miserable person if you only ever think about what's good for you personally!

Old 02-17-2016, 03:13 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
In my experience, those use the statement "Voting against your own interests" are really saying that THEY disagree with your choice. It isn't about what is best for you, what you know may be best for you, or what ideology best reflects your beliefs. It's that it conflicts with theirs.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:24 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Anyone who votes is voting against their own interests.

End of thread.

Old 02-17-2016, 03:35 PM

7,502 posts, read 5,752,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Anyone who votes is voting against their own interests.
Perfect! Rep point for you..

Old 02-17-2016, 03:36 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,016,699 times
Quote:
Historically it's been used by Democrats to call working class white people stupid for voting republican over things like guns, abortion etc. when everyone knows the democrats are the party of free ****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies