Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is the phrase "Voting against their own interests" offensive to you, regardless of what pa
Yes 20 35.09%
No 10 17.54%
Doesn't bother me either way 27 47.37%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 08:06 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times

Advertisements

I find it offensive, due to the following implications that the argument and arguer make:

1. That immediate material self-interest ought to determine how you vote rather than any sense of right and wrong*
2. That differing perspectives about what "their own interests" are don't exist
3. That your country as a whole being better off cannot be a more important goal in life than your immediate material self-interest
4. That your country as a whole being better off at the expense of one's immediate material self-interest cannot serve your long-term material self-interest.

*Interestingly, it's the same people that always say "oh no, of course we're not trying to beef up a vote bank of welfare dependents, that's just a baseless conspiracy theory". It pretty much is just that, but they shouldn't act so surprised when people believe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 08:44 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
Well--people don't like it when one tells it like it is. Be as offended as you like--everyone is these days. Still can't explain it.

https://www.datalounge.com/thread/13...-self-interest

James Carville: Why do people vote against their interests? | TheHill

Working class voters: why America's poor are willing to vote Republican | US news | The Guardian

Old 02-18-2016, 12:54 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kool Krab View Post
I guess you're an exception then?
Nice job.

I hope you enjoyed reading all 4,577 of my posts.

Last edited by dechatelet; 02-18-2016 at 01:05 AM..

Old 02-18-2016, 04:50 AM

409 posts, read 258,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I know right? How can poor white people be so stupid after seeing all the amazing things Democrats have done for poor black people?

I mean just look at cities like.. uhh..

Old 02-18-2016, 05:41 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I find it offensive, due to the following implications that the argument and arguer make:

1. That immediate material self-interest ought to determine how you vote rather than any sense of right and wrong*
That is a huge draw back of democracy when you have a slew of self interest voters where the thinking is whats in it for me instead of what is best for the country as a whole. Those type of people disgust me but the ones who are the worst are the ones who back policy because it is good for their pathetic party.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:34 AM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
This statement is true because the GOP has successfully used the southern strategy to make the blue collar white population think that its more important to stop two guys from marrying and banning abortions than worry about healthcare, infrastructure and jobs.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:43 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
This statement is true because the GOP has successfully used the southern strategy to make the blue collar white population think that its more important to stop two guys from marrying and banning abortions than worry about healthcare, infrastructure and jobs.
The Southern strategy is a myth, the import poor people of color to vote Democrat is not.

Why would unskilled people of any color eish to vote for a party that favors importing more unskilled workers?

Why would whites support a party that promotes "diversity" to the point they discriminate against equally qualified whites in educational and work opportunities?

Why would anyone with an ounce of pride want "free" goodies.

You left out banning guns and undermining religious faith. Gee, why would poor people give a damn about the Bill of Rights.

Old 02-18-2016, 06:11 PM

2,468 posts, read 1,919,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
The Southern strategy is a myth, the import poor people of color to vote Democrat is not.

Why would unskilled people of any color eish to vote for a party that favors importing more unskilled workers?

Why would whites support a party that promotes "diversity" to the point they discriminate against equally qualified whites in educational and work opportunities?

You left out banning guns and undermining religious faith. Gee, why would poor people give a damn about the Bill of Rights.
There are no "freebies". Its no coincidence that Americas first minority president was from the Democrat party. Its the party that gives minorities a hand up while the the Republicans try to suppress their rights.

Old 02-19-2016, 03:55 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,436,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshGL View Post
I know right? How can poor white people be so stupid after seeing all the amazing things Democrats have done for poor black people?

I mean just look at cities like.. uhh..
LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
That is a huge draw back of democracy when you have a slew of self interest voters where the thinking is whats in it for me instead of what is best for the country as a whole. Those type of people disgust me but the ones who are the worst are the ones who back policy because it is good for their pathetic party.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rorqual View Post
Your statement ignores the fact that some of us don't think that we need the "gummint" to take care of us.

Nor want it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

Why would unskilled people of any color wish to vote for a party that favors importing more unskilled workers?

Well said.

Old 02-19-2016, 04:04 AM

26,497 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Exactly, that's me. Except I won't vote for the Republicans anymore because they are religious zealots and most want to kill me. And I won't for for democrats because THEY want to take my guns away so the Republicans CAN kill me. There is no solution short of anarchy.

Why oh why can't we just have a MODERATE government that doesn't STEAL and SQUANDER our money, that respects the Constitution and rights of all and is willing to compromise for the good of everyone. Is that so much to ask?

What is really sad/sick is at this point I'd rather have that commie Sanders over the criminal Hillary and Trump over the religious extremists. How can any man run for president on a platform of taking rights away from Americans?
You remind me of the extreme moderate who wants to castrate all those who are not moderates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies