Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2016, 12:03 PM

15,095 posts, read 8,639,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Here in Illinois it will be Tammy Duckworth running ads against Mark Kirk if he publicly states he refuses to fulfill his Constitutional duties as a senator. And with the GOP having to defend 24 seats, many in swing states, there is as much if not more peril for Republican senators if they choose to obstruct the process rather than fulfill their obligations. Here in blue Illinois, with a very popular opponent in Duckworth, it's a big risk for Kirk.
Holy Molly, you lefties really are mentally ill ...

Their constitutional duty regarding the matter is to approve or disapprove such appointments.

Where do you all get this crazy notion that the process involves rubber-stamping any leftwing loon Obama sends to them? There wouldn't be a need for such a process in the first place, if their "duty" was to do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Put down the pipe. If what your proposing came to fruition, the middle class would shrivel up even smaller than it is now and we would all be employed at Walmart.
Worse than that.

The consequences of having another liberal like Sotomeyer or Kagan join those America hating Marxists would have international implications ... Not just domestic

Kagan, who refused to answer the simple question "do Americans have the inherent right of self defense" is a disaster and should never have been allowed in the Supreme Court building, even on a public tour ... the others, no better ... and with Stevens being an apparent closet liberal, the future of the Nation rides on this next choice.

And the stakes couldn't be higher, as evidenced by the shady circumstances surrounding Scalia's murder .... errr death with a pillow OVER his head.

Old 02-17-2016, 12:32 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Worse than that.

The consequences of having another liberal like Sotomeyer or Kagan join those America hating Marxists would have international implications ... Not just domestic

Kagan, who refused to answer the simple question "do Americans have the inherent right of self defense" is a disaster and should never have been allowed in the Supreme Court building, even on a public tour ... the others, no better ... and with Stevens being an apparent closet liberal, the future of the Nation rides on this next choice.

And the stakes couldn't be higher, as evidenced by the shady circumstances surrounding Scalia's murder .... errr death with a pillow OVER his head.
You do know that Scalia was a fan of Kagan's?

Old 02-17-2016, 12:33 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
Holy Molly, you lefties really are mentally ill ...

Their constitutional duty regarding the matter is to approve or disapprove such appointments.

Where do you all get this crazy notion that the process involves rubber-stamping any leftwing loon Obama sends to them? There wouldn't be a need for such a process in the first place, if their "duty" was to do that.
No, their duty is not to rubber stamp any nominee, but it is to take up and debate the candidate that the president sends to them and then vote on him or her. Which is the duty that McConnell and many of his Republican colleagues are stating they will ignore.

I hope Kirk takes the GOP hard line. It will help Duckworth get elected in November. But for that very reason, I suspect Kirk will not go that route. He's a Republican, but he's not a bat**** crazy Republican.

Last edited by JAMS14; 02-17-2016 at 12:47 PM..

Old 02-17-2016, 12:34 PM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I guess if I was a republican senator, I would not want to face my constituents in the next election cycle. Any challenger would run day and night tv ads about the senator who voted for Obama's third nominee- political suicide.
Predetermining that they will not vote for an unknown nominee, that makes a lot of sense.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:04 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We will elect Senator Sanders as president and back him up with a Democratic majority in the Senate. In the meantime the Senate will find enough Republicans to support President Obama's nominee to SCOTUS that an moderate Judge will be approved. After Sanders is elected and the Senate has a Democratic majority several of the elderly Judges will retire and a truly Liberal court of younger judges will result. That will protect the country from the pernicious attempts by the Republicans to try to return this country to a time that never was and never should have been.

Gee................................ that is whole list of wishes. I hope you are not disappointed!

Old 02-17-2016, 01:07 PM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Predetermining that they will not vote for an unknown nominee, that makes a lot of sense.
Really?

I would offer that most conservative voters do not want Obama to appoint another Supreme. If a republican opposed those wishes and supported an Obama nominee (when they could have delayed/drawn out a vote), MANY conservatives would want thier scalp.

Given that politicians tend to like keeping thier jobs, perhaps those 14 republican senators that Obama would need may think twice about it.

In reality, the LAST thing we need is another politically motivated SCOTUS. Obama's two appointments thus far vote strictly as a rubber stamp for liberal political policy, which is not thier sworn duty.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
You do know that Scalia was a fan of Kagan's?
They were friends, not a fan, even though they were universes apart ideologically.

In my opinion, this speaks volumes of Scalia's character, destroying the idea that he was some maniacal ideologue.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:15 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,957,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Here in Illinois it will be Tammy Duckworth running ads against Mark Kirk if he publicly states he refuses to fulfill his Constitutional duties as a senator. And with the GOP having to defend 24 seats, many in swing states, there is as much if not more peril for Republican senators if they choose to obstruct the process rather than fulfill their obligations. Here in blue Illinois, with a very popular opponent in Duckworth, it's a big risk for Kirk.
Where in the Constitution does it say a Senator must approve a President's nominee to the Supreme Court, or any Court?

Oh, that's right it doesn't. Most liberals wouldn't know that, having never actually read the Constitution.

Old 02-17-2016, 01:16 PM

78,435 posts, read 60,628,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
We will elect Senator Sanders as president and back him up with a Democratic majority in the Senate. In the meantime the Senate will find enough Republicans to support President Obama's nominee to SCOTUS that an moderate Judge will be approved. After Sanders is elected and the Senate has a Democratic majority several of the elderly Judges will retire and a truly Liberal court of younger judges will result. That will protect the country from the pernicious attempts by the Republicans to try to return this country to a time that never was and never should have been.
In my reality Sanders won't win the democratic nomination because Hillary has already lined up her loyalists and promised them various rewards for servitude. (She may not beat the Republican though)

The incessant blaming of guns for shootings in democratic enclaves where they don't really want to spend money on gang prevention and minority opportunity will keep the Senate firmly in Republican control.

That's my prediction...not what I'm necessarily hoping for....but my prediction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies