Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:41 AM

14,707 posts, read 14,688,293 times

Advertisements

The greatest black filmmaker has been blacklisted (har, har) by the Academy for whatever reason, which shows the awards are all about "the game" and who chooses to play it in Hollywood. It's absurd "Malcolm X" wasn't even nominated for Best Picture the year it was eligible, and the only reason Denzel didn't win Best Actor for playing Malcolm was because it was a Spike Lee picture. They have no problem giving it to him for playing a slave or drug-dealing cop though, or to Halle Berry when she sexes a redneck on film.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:43 AM

632 posts, read 934,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
The greatest black filmmaker has been blacklisted (har, har) by the Academy for whatever reason, which shows the awards are all about "the game" and who chooses to play it in Hollywood. It's absurd "Malcolm X" wasn't even nominated for Best Picture the year it was eligible, and the only reason Denzel didn't win Best Actor for playing Malcolm was because it was a Spike Lee picture. They have no problem giving it to him for playing a slave or drug-dealing cop though, or to Halle Berry when she sexes a redneck on film.

So true. I saw a meme once that summed it up. Halle got one for playing a victim of domestic abuse, Denzel got one for playing a hustler/drug dealer, Whoopi got one for playing a con artist, Monique got one for playing an abusive, drug addicted mother, and Hattie McDaniel for playing a maid.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:17 AM

20,495 posts, read 12,414,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Movies are hard to sell with minorities in lead roles. Most of the movie going public gets sick of seeing them running their mouths on CNN and MSNBC and every other media outlet all week long. They want to get away from that at the movies.
Denzel doesn't have a problem.

Training day was fantastic and it made a hundred million

Old 02-26-2016, 12:43 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,437,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
latino is a race, you are thinking of Hispanic.
Latino is NOT a race.

An Italian descended Argentinian or German Brazilian is not the same race as a Mexican or Dominican. Despite all falling under the "Latino" umbrella.

Being "Latino" means growing up in or having roots in a country in the new world settled by Spain or Portugal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251
Also, SAG doesnt just include actors, it includes stunt men and extras and the obvious , TV actors which the oscars have nothing to do with.

no one is complaining about the Emmys.
Ok, and? Do you have another metric which you would find suitable?

And what does that have to do with the fact that in recent history black people at least are fairly represented in terms of awards won?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251
But as I have said before, this is about discrimination after the fact. Not just them excluding black people. And yes there is a difference. One is on purpose, the other happened because black people werent there on the ground floor and things just kept moving somewhat lie colleges and legacies.

The solution I have heard from a lot of people is " just make a movie with black actors and take it to Cannes or something" but Cannes is mostly movies that are self funded by rich directors or passion projects by rich actors, same with most of the big festivals. They arent actually a collection of upstarts.

You're right in some respects. Hollywood and the film industry was built by white men. Many of them Jewish (hence an over-representation of Jewish folks in film and TV which is another disparity I don't really care about).

Everyone also knows that certain movies are Oscar Bait. Dramas. Tragic, flawed characters. Movies that make people cry. Bonus points for being British period pieces or Holocaust movies. Basically, movies and roles where you actually have to ACT.

Things don't have to be proportional all the time. Some industries are dominated by one group or another. Until you ACTUALLY have a melting pot society where skin color is just another factor of someone who has the same culture and values (which is no longer favored in America by multiculturalists) you will never, ever ever have proportionality across industries.

It is a non-issue.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:49 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,793,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Good luck. We aren't going anywhere. We're gonna get even MORE movie roles and still flap our mouths on CNN and NBC.

Get used to it.
Really? Wasn't this said 20 years ago too. Doesn't seem like much has changed.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:06 PM

78,590 posts, read 60,785,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
So true. I saw a meme once that summed it up. Halle got one for playing a victim of domestic abuse, Denzel got one for playing a hustler/drug dealer, Whoopi got one for playing a con artist, Monique got one for playing an abusive, drug addicted mother, and Hattie McDaniel for playing a maid.
Hanks, Rush, Cage, Nicholson, DiCaprio, Penn, Hopkins, Day-Lewis, Hoffman etc etc etc. - Mentally ill or impaired

Hanks, McConaughey, Penn - HIV\Gay rights

Weird how you guys left out Jamie Foxx for Ray.

So, what we have here is the fact that most Oscar winners play troubled roles and that you're dishonestly leaving out data points that don't support your claims.

Basically it makes it look like not just a bunch of cheap racial whining but the kind where you know you're having to fudge stuff to help your case along.

Heck Jeremy Irons won for portraying Claus Von Bulow....lol....maybe I should start whining that they make all the white actors play Nazi's.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:08 PM

20,495 posts, read 12,414,939 times
I don't know why anyone thinks this is a problem or why this "problem" needs solving.

Everyone knows Hollywierd is a bunch a liberals. Liberals are very clear that they cannot be racists. so this is not an issue.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:15 PM

632 posts, read 934,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hanks, Rush, Cage, Nicholson, DiCaprio, Penn, Hopkins, Day-Lewis, Hoffman etc etc etc. - Mentally ill or impaired

Hanks, McConaughey, Penn - HIV\Gay rights

Weird how you guys left out Jamie Foxx for Ray.

So, what we have here is the fact that most Oscar winners play troubled roles and that you're dishonestly leaving out data points that don't support your claims.

Basically it makes it look like not just a bunch of cheap racial whining but the kind where you know you're having to fudge stuff to help your case along.

Heck Jeremy Irons won for portraying Claus Von Bulow....lol....maybe I should start whining that they make all the white actors play Nazi's.

You're right, I did forget Jamie Foxx. But that fact that you can name the exception is the problem.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:26 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,767,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
And I'll go to less movies I guess then. There are better things to do with my time. I'll stay home and watch classic movies in the comfort of my home.
Yeah OK David Duke..... Oh. BTW. Beyonces new CD is out. Hurry up and go get it. Add to her billion bucks her and her husband have ammased.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:27 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,767,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
You're right, I did forget Jamie Foxx. But that fact that you can name the exception is the problem.
German actors always complain about being cast as Nazis and only in WWII roles... Where have you been?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies