Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 03:45 PM

632 posts, read 933,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
German actors always complain about being cast as Nazis and only in WWII roles... Where have you been?

Half of white people in this country have German ancestry. Stop!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 03:46 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
I find this issue kind of ironic because statistically speaking I fully buy into the fact that there is an issue in this country that our jails have an unnaturally high percentage of African Americans residing in them, yet they represent a relatively small percentage of the US population. If you turn that argument around, the logical conclusion is that due to the small percentage of African Americans in the US, they just are not going to represent a huge chunk of an industry specific awards ceremony like this. Being a successful actor/actress in the US to begin with is an incredibly narrow slice of the overall US population, now pull out the 5% (or whatever the actual number is) of that microscopic group to give an award to, and statistically speaking its just not super likely to find a many African Americans being represented at this event.

Now thats not to say there should be zero like we are seeing, but still, just speaking in terms of the math behind it all, its not all that illogical and shouldn't immediately come down to being assumed to be racist issue. I wish as much time was spent on figuring out why the jail system is stacked in that direction though....prisons and incarceration rates as a whole in this country bother me, especially when looked at by the race demographic.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:29 PM

632 posts, read 933,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I find this issue kind of ironic because statistically speaking I fully buy into the fact that there is an issue in this country that our jails have an unnaturally high percentage of African Americans residing in them, yet they represent a relatively small percentage of the US population. If you turn that argument around, the logical conclusion is that due to the small percentage of African Americans in the US, they just are not going to represent a huge chunk of an industry specific awards ceremony like this. Being a successful actor/actress in the US to begin with is an incredibly narrow slice of the overall US population, now pull out the 5% (or whatever the actual number is) of that microscopic group to give an award to, and statistically speaking its just not super likely to find a many African Americans being represented at this event.

Now thats not to say there should be zero like we are seeing, but still, just speaking in terms of the math behind it all, its not all that illogical and shouldn't immediately come down to being assumed to be racist issue. I wish as much time was spent on figuring out why the jail system is stacked in that direction though....prisons and incarceration rates as a whole in this country bother me, especially when looked at by the race demographic.

I agree. If the same race biases were used in the Oscar nominee committee as are used by judges and law enforcement, there would be a disproportionate number of black and Latino actors receiving Oscars.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:31 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,209,751 times
Have more black Oscar makers.

Old 02-26-2016, 06:41 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd_96 View Post
So true. I saw a meme once that summed it up. Halle got one for playing a victim of domestic abuse, Denzel got one for playing a hustler/drug dealer, Whoopi got one for playing a con artist, Monique got one for playing an abusive, drug addicted mother, and Hattie McDaniel for playing a maid.
You see, this is the problem. If there aren't enough black people nominated for awards, you whine. When black people are given awards, you still find a reason to whine. Basically you whine no matter what. That's why I don't understand why anyone ever kowtows to this sort of thing in the first place.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:15 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
You're right, I did forget Jamie Foxx. But that fact that you can name the exception is the problem.
No the fact that I can name most white oscar winners also play "messed up" roles like Hannibal Lecter, Claus Von Bulow, the guy from Rain Man and a host of others....but others seem to forget that and think it's just black actors winning for jacked up roles IS the problem.

You complain about Berrys winning role? Um, what did Charlize Theron win for? Oh yeah...that's right a real life female serial killer.

It's your business if you want to come off as whining racists but you should at least scroll down the list of ALL the winners before succumbing to internet memes as a basis for ones world view.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:18 AM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Half of white people in this country have German ancestry. Stop!
So then why do you discount Forest Whittakers Oscar along with Jamie Foxx?

oooh another "exception"?

Come on, give it up. This is what happens when you base your worldview on internet memes.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:43 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,972,454 times
Oscars and Grammy awards are stupid

We should only value music and movies by their sales numbers

I think part of the reason minorities don't get nominated is because those movies that receive awards are intended for a white audience. Usually some drama in which someone dies or lives a very tragic life and we are supposed to learn some big lesson about life.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
I agree. If the same race biases were used in the Oscar nominee committee as are used by judges and law enforcement, there would be a disproportionate number of black and Latino actors receiving Oscars.

Oooohhh!! Trayvon for Hollyood justice! Preach!

Both issues have about the same validity.

What I find funny, and I really do, is that there will be no brakes to all of this hustling.

The train is scheduled to go off of the tracks and ruin what you thought you were on your way to getting and going to get.

You can't stop it. No one can.

It's time to sit back and watch the show.

P.S. If you don't think that the Hollywood elite will run a secret award show that does not include affirmative action, that will carry the real social weight, and let the Oscars devolve into the People's Choice Awards then you have another thing coming.

Old 02-27-2016, 01:38 PM

50,828 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
FFS, didn't the "Economist" already debunk this nonsense?

If you look at recent Oscar history, black winners of Oscars are actually slightly OVER represented as % of their population in this country.

The UNDER representation in Hollywood film is also quite insignificant when it comes to black people.

Since Latino is not a race, I'm not sure if we should even consider their % of representation as a separate group that NEEDS to be counted and compared to everyone else.... But "Latinos" and "Asians" are actually the ones under-represented in Hollywood. BUT, there's also under-representation of those groups in the SAG to begin with.
Depends on the time frame of which you are speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies