Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Companies have to interview every American candidate before hiring H1B Visa worker for position?
Yes 25 60.98%
No 16 39.02%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2016, 08:27 PM

24,620 posts, read 19,281,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Shouldn't companies have to interview every American candidate before making a determination on whether or not there exist qualified candidates in America? Would you support a policy like this?
No, that would cost way too much money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2016, 08:36 PM

240 posts, read 347,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
American candidate first?

Here's what I don't understand. I live in the town of a large software company that has been leading the charge on bringing in more H1B Visa workers for decades now. I've applied for many positions that I was qualified for on paper and just recently got a phone interview. It was a 10-minute preliminary interview where a recruiter asked me basic questions about my education and experience. Then I never heard back.

So if this company claims they need more H1B Visa workers to fill their open technical positions, they'll say that they "interviewed" myself and many more people and couldn't find any candidates, when they didn't even give me a chance to demonstrate my technical expertise?

I don't get it. Shouldn't companies have to interview every American candidate before making a determination on whether or not there exist qualified candidates in America? Would you support a policy like this?
This is a very easy comparison:

1. You maybe a graduate from a third-tier college (no offense), but demand a high salary with good benefit as well as "a good work-life balance."

2. Indian/Chinese candidates come from a top college like John Hopkins with a strong intention to work in the US. They will work hard for the company to receive a commitment for H1B visa. Even the company will apply visa for them, they may lose their job due to H1B visa cap.

If I am the hiring manager, why I hire you? Give me a reason.

Last edited by USERXXXX; 02-21-2016 at 08:44 PM..

Old 02-21-2016, 08:53 PM

34,291 posts, read 17,382,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I answered no before I even got to the end of the question. They shouldn't be required to do anything they don't want to do. It's their company.

Amen, and all I expect them to do is follow the law. Let the chips fall where they may.

Old 02-21-2016, 11:05 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,550,412 times
No.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:15 AM

729 posts, read 432,045 times
They should be made to put American workers first in my opinion.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:02 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,385,722 times
Listening to the chamber of commerce you would think that Americans were the most un educated and un skilled people on the planet and I do not believe it. Their reps claim that we are too un skilled to work in factories. That one always angers me since I have done that work a lot in life.The places I have worked had skilled techs that kept the machines running the majority of the jobs were taking the parts inspecting, boxing or stacking. Like you need tons of skilled people to do those type of jobs.

On one hand our leaders tell us to get skilled or educated and on the other they flood the country with competition and the only reason I can think of is to lower wages to increase profit.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:31 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,014,463 times
I would place sever restrictions on the H1b immigration programs in order to provide a realistic employment market for American citizens. the H1b would be used to import a very few special people. This may increase the costs for the companies but employing Americans is far more important that the already handsome profits of Microsoft and Apple.

We need far more government control of the corporate sector to return our government to the voters instead of to Monsanto and the rest of the monopolists.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:36 AM

27,306 posts, read 16,302,005 times
H1B needs to be suspended indefinitly.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:42 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,642,618 times
Well.
You said they asked about your education.
If you had a guy who went to some random ok school and a stack of people who went to Harvard on your desk, would you even bother with random ok school guy?

Now, competition in the asian countries is insane. To get into the best schools is even more insane. If they have a bunch of foreigners from the best schools that are harder to get into than some of the best schools here will to work for them, why bother with less qualified guy?

Old 02-22-2016, 04:21 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,468,234 times
Sure let's have more 3rd party intervention in the form of government!

Ever notice the government's answer to every problem (I take that back...perceived problem) is regulation and tax?

God bless it for being so consistent!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies