Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 03:49 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,218,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
To me this is the strongest evidence of global warming....

Sea levels on Earth are rising several times faster than they have in the past 2,800 years and are accelerating because of man-made global warming, according to new studies.

Sea levels are rising faster than they have in 2,800 years - Technology & Science - CBC News

Until the 1880s and the world's industrialization, the fastest seas rose was about three to four centimetres (1 to 1.5 inches) a century, but today the rate of rise is more than a foot per century.

That is already causing problems, which will only get worse in the future.
Untrue. al-Gore bought ocean front property.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:24 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
What North America will look like if all the ice melts.....

http://s.ngm.com/2013/09/rising-seas..._NA_15M_v3.jpg

Since I'm in SE Michigan, I like yours better.

Attached Thumbnails
Sea Level Rise Accelerating.-namq.jpg  

Old 02-23-2016, 06:03 AM

23,548 posts, read 17,219,108 times
Quote:

Sea levels on Earth are rising several times faster than they have in the past 2,800 years and are accelerating because of man-made global warming, according to new studies.

Sea levels are rising faster than they have in 2,800 years - Technology & Science - CBC News

Until the 1880s and the world's industrialization, the fastest seas rose was about three to four centimetres (1 to 1.5 inches) a century, but today the rate of rise is more than a foot per century.

Okay, so what needs to happen to stop it?

What's the timeline?

What is the cost?

Water simultaneously rises and lowers in different parts of the world. Water has been rising for as long as anyone was aware. Are you sure this water rise, in this location is due to human caused global warming, or are you saying the rise is due to natural global warming?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:12 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,890 times
Quote:
Perhaps that may be true where you live, but there is a lot being done here in BC, and in most of the developed world........ We have had a carbon tax since 2008, the taxi fleets here in Victoria are all hybrid cars, and there are many all electric vehicles, and plenty of charging stations....Also a lot of people have installed solar panels and solar water heaters.....Also there are now many environmentally friendly computers now on the market....
I wonder how much of that effort has become un done? That gas leak in the LA area went from Oct 23 to Feb.That had to have a huge impact in the atmosphere and I was very happy that there was not a fire/explosion we dodged a bullet there. How about all the bombing of oil fields in the ME and Isis tanker trucks? I can go on and on, in other words carbon taxing is not the answer. Nothing will change until green energy becomes affordable to even the poor and can compete on a level playing field with other energy sources. Taxing everyone and giving the gvt more money will not solve the problem. Plus I think we are going to have a major war and a carbon tax is not cleaning that up.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:24 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:

What did PT barnum say again............................................? ?

Old 02-23-2016, 06:25 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Okay, so what needs to happen to stop it?

What's the timeline?

What is the cost?

Water simultaneously rises and lowers in different parts of the world. Water has been rising for as long as anyone was aware. Are you sure this water rise, in this location is due to human caused global warming, or are you saying the rise is due to natural global warming?

What's need to stop it? Raise taxes and give more money to Al Gore. That will do it.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 AM

17,342 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:

Oh please! If we had listened to Al Gore, we should already be living under at least 20 feet of water by now. In the 70s, scientists were convinced we were entering another ice age.
There are cities underwater now that were built many thousands of years ago and have been underwater for thousands of years already.
2,800 years isn't even a blink of an eye when you take into consideration 4 billion years the earth has been around with oceans rising and falling constantly, continents moving and reforming, ice ages coming and going constantly on a regular basis along with periods of extreme heating.
What happens in our life times is so insignificant, it's not even worth talking about as far as the earth goes. You and I are a species of animal on earth and like every species of animal on earth, we will be extinct at some point. No amount of whining about climate change or how many inches in a life time the oceans rise and fall is going to stop that.

Old 02-23-2016, 06:55 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Property taxes are rising as we speak.

and they will be rising even more in the coming years, beach restoration, raising houses, home buyouts this is just the beginning.

More than $1B spent replenishing N.J. beaches over past 30 years | NJ.com

Old 02-23-2016, 07:15 AM

572 posts, read 279,995 times
OP why do you keep posting these threads here when you know it will just result in the same tired comments over and over?

Here, let me save you the trouble:

1. Al Gore is rich. Or just Al Gore in general.
2. Liberals are hysterical.
3. Tax grab.
4. Conspiracy by scientists.
5. AGW has been debunked.
6. It's natural, or we don't know... but whatever the cause, it's NOT human activity.

Old 02-23-2016, 07:23 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,442,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
and they will be rising even more in the coming years, beach restoration, raising houses, home buyouts this is just the beginning.

More than $1B spent replenishing N.J. beaches over past 30 years | NJ.com
That's from storms and is a natural occurrence. It has nothing to do with rising water levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies