Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2022, 05:08 PM

2,612 posts, read 933,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintnon View Post
Well...technically yes, but just because I think everyone should be except for vegan communists. I don't really see any argument for restricting abortion much that would be consistent with the behaviors of anyone who isn't a vegan communist...or at least a vegan who wants powerful central government controls in other ways, for some type of greater good.
So for someone to agree with your position, they would have to feel that human life either doesnt have greater value or shouldnt be any more respected than the lives of any animals. I dont think many people share that position.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2022, 05:08 PM

52,324 posts, read 52,784,279 times
I'm very reluctantly pro choice and I've seen some gross as hell comments in this thread.

Very very blaise, to the point of being repugnant.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:10 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Rape and abortion are not comparable. No amount of trying to equalize it will make it so. Ask any rape victim. Rape is a crime. Abortion is legal. No woman should be forced to remain pregnant against her own wishes. A fetus doesn’t trump a woman’s choice.
Not in Texas. It' s a crime. I recall you stating that you agree with abortion laws so I assume you are with this one, correct? Or are you going to actually state what YOU THINK instead of hiding behind double speak? Or are you going to move away from the bu bu but it's LEGAL!!! argument.

Slave owners could kill or rape slaves. That was legal. You OK with that? Think it makes sense? No objections there?

A man wants to have sex with a woman so he does.

A woman wants to kill her baby so she does.

Both ignore the bodily autonomy of the object of their harm. And commit the harm.

It is the exact some thing.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:10 PM

89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
The fetus is the only example I know of where that “other” is taking up residence in one’s own body. As conservatives are fond of saying, your rights end where mine begin.
No one is "taking up residence" anywhere. An embryo, fetus, etc., is a KNOWN stage of the human life cycle. Scientific fact.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:11 PM

2,612 posts, read 933,330 times
Quote:
Would you like it to be legal for someone to kill you in your sleep? If not, the effects of that being legal are basically the exact same effects of it being legal to kill self-aware people when they're awake. The reasons to be opposed to both are the same, more or less.
I am just responding to your post where you appeared to be saying that it is ok to kill a baby since they wouldnt feel pain or feel sad about dying. Neither would you if you were killed while sleeping.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Again you're doing that thing in which you ignore that death can be either neutral or beneficial to an organism, and that being killed with a gun pretty much never is...(unless it's suicide...in which case there were probably better ways to go about doing that and that's why we really should legalize physician-assisted euthanasia at some point...in addition to legalizing the euthanization of infants up to one year after birth, when they are afflicted with certain severe medical ailments and there is the consent of both parents).

No matter how many times you repeat "abortion ends a life" that's not going to make it any more relevant.
Since you yourself admitted that neither you nor anyone else can identify which lives would benefit from being killed, your point is moot.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:13 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,967,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I am a glutton for punishment for actually responding to these inane posts, but here goes:

Surely you personally know a fair enough number of women who have had abortions. I am assuming you are a woman well into adulthood who has normal social interactions and has not been living in isolation.

So tell me. The women you personally know who have had abortions--is that what they told you? That the only reason they chose abortion is because they "wanted to kill the baby"? That would be the only way you could know such a thing.

I suspect that what you said is more of a deliberate misrepresentation based on your internal agenda than anything anyone else told you, however.
Why else would you have an abortion? Because you don't want the baby. So you kill it.

Are you serious with this question? Do you think women have abortions because they want a baby???

You are failing miserably at trying to prove whatever point you think you are making.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
That wasn’t the scenario posed, but ok I’ll run with it.

Firstly, you don’t restrict abortion access to women who do not want to have the child. Having unwanted children and the potential consequences of that for the child is not really taken into account in these discussions. It’s not theoretical to the abused and murdered child.

And please, the answer to that argument is not “they can put it up for adoption”.

Unless you want force that, the idea that that’s going to happen in all cases is pure fantasy.
How is adoption not one of many solutions? Furthermore, not all women who didn't want a baby end up being bad mothers.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:14 PM

101 posts, read 29,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
if you are unaware that having sex can lead to pregnancy, I literally do not know what to tell you.

Also: "potential" life is BEFORE the egg and sperm meet.

Once a woman is pregnant? That is LIFE growing in her womb.

Your use of potential life is not scientific nor honest. But it does make it more palatable when you advocate for killing babies, I guess. Since nothing is there, I guess you don't kill anything? But why would a woman need an abortion if there is no life there? Doesn't make sense.
No...having sex does not mean agreeing to get pregnant. That comment by hothulamaui was perfectly honest and reasonable. You're twisting things if you say otherwise.

Also, your description of abortion as "killing babies" is both un-scientific and unreasonable. The technical term for an unborn human being is either an embryo or a fetus. Both of those have different traits than born babies...although the later into the developmental process you are the closer they do become.

Old 04-10-2022, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
Are you kidding? Probably millions of mosquitoes are killed every year by slaps. Where is your concern for their lives?
The issue is abortion killing 680,000 humans each year. 20 times more than are killed by guns (and 2/3 of those gun deaths are suicides).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies