Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2022, 02:38 AM

101 posts, read 29,511 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoMobile View Post
"The unborn are a convenient group of people to advocate for."

Really great quote from a United Methodist pastor:

""The unborn" are a convenient group of people to advocate for.

They never make demands of you; they are morally uncomplicated, unlike the incarcerated, addicted, or the chronically poor; they don't resent your condescension or complain that you are not politically correct; unlike widows, they don't ask you to question patriarchy; unlike orphans, they don't need money, education, or childcare; unlike aliens, they don't bring all that racial, cultural, and religious baggage that you dislike; they allow you to feel good about yourself without any work at creating or maintaining relationships; and when they are born, you can forget about them, because they cease to be unborn.

It's almost as if, by being born, they have died to you. You can love the unborn and advocate for them without substantially challenging your own wealth, power, or privilege, without re-imagining social structures, apologizing, or making reparations to anyone. They are, in short, the perfect people to love if you want to claim you love Jesus but actually dislike people who breathe.

Prisoners? Immigrants? The sick? The poor? Widows? Orphans? All the groups that are specifically mentioned in the Bible? They all get thrown under the bus for the unborn."

Source: [https://www.facebook.com/dave.barnha...56549406811031)
yep
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2022, 03:26 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Do you know the difference between a fetus and a baby?
Both are in stages of the human life cycle. Science. Yes, I know science is anathema to left-wingers.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:02 AM

101 posts, read 29,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Both are in stages of the human life cycle. Science. Yes, I know science is anathema to left-wingers.
Unless you believe there is something that's unique about being human, regardless of what traits the human has, that's relevant to this discussion, it doesn't especially matter that both are stages of a human life cycle.

That said, I have no idea why anyone would value the life of an embryo of a human more than the life of an embryo of a sheep, if both are equally mentally complex and experience the world in the same way...which they often will.

If you believe there is something unique about human beings, regardless of what other traits they have besides being human...I'm pretty sure I could come up with a good argument for why you are incorrect. I'd just have to know your specific reasons for viewing humans as special before knowing what specific argument to make. I'm pretty confident I've heard, and thought about all possible arguments for why humans are special before.

Now, if you do not believe that there is something inherently special about just being human...then you have the issue of how casually we treat the lives of nonhuman organisms on a daily basis, and the question of why pro-lifers (and most pro-choicers too, probably) want to treat human lives so differently, to deal with, regardless of their traits.

Old 04-11-2022, 04:57 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
what you, your wife or I would do is our choice, there are others who would make a different choice. the difference between us is I respect their right to make it without my moral view on their personal life.
I respect your honesty because you are one of the very few abortion supporters willing to acknowledge a fetus is a child and abortion kills the child.

It's refreshing in a sick and twisted sort of way.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:06 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Additionally being "Pro-choice" doesn't necessarily mean pro abortion.
And similarly the pro-lifers can't seem to wrap THEIR head around THAT.
Exactly the way I feel about it. Pro choice is about keeping the government out of personal medical decisions.

Even the most adamant pro lifers could have a circumstance so heinous which would make them choose an abortion. If they decided it, no government official should be able to interfere.

Old 04-11-2022, 05:16 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarArt1980 View Post
Abortion is such a divisive issue. I'm curious what the strongest arguments are, for and against. Post away!
Everybody is entitled to their OWN opinions!

Old 04-11-2022, 06:33 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,935,527 times
Quote:
Fetus also means baby in the womb latin.

Life cycle ... Just like ... infant, toddler, adolescent, adult, elderly ... Maybe infants or elderly will be declared as 'clumps' of cells and not human next.

It would be nice if people could stick to defined words rather than making up their own self serving words, phrases and definitions.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Exactly the way I feel about it. Pro choice is about keeping the government out of personal medical decisions.

Even the most adamant pro lifers could have a circumstance so heinous which would make them choose an abortion. If they decided it, no government official should be able to interfere.
Killing a baby is not a medical decision. It is a decision of convenience.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:45 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintnon View Post
Unless you believe there is something that's unique about being human, regardless of what traits the human has, that's relevant to this discussion, it doesn't especially matter that both are stages of a human life cycle.
It does matter because abortion advocates insist that a human embryo, fetus, etc., isn't a human life. They have to eschew science to rationalize advocating killing it.

Old 04-11-2022, 06:47 AM

Quote:
It does matter because abortion advocates insist that a human embryo, fetus, etc., isn't a human life. They have to eschew science to rationalize advocating killing it.
Yet they never explain WHAT they believe the baby is.

It's just 'not a baby.'

And then they walk away from the argument.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies