Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2016, 09:04 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
We bail ourselves out. We are monetarily sovereign. Note differences post-2008 crash USA vs EU.

Let's not create any money and see what happens?

We'd get recession and/or lose a war.
Again?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:17 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
That just about covers it Spartacus......... Nigel Farage - his name will live forever in the annals of true English patriots. He walked away at the peak of his game. Just fabulous.
He stunk the place up, and then walked out.

Why would he not help his nation through the situation he created?

Old 07-05-2016, 09:26 AM

18,802 posts, read 8,474,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post

Granted I do not know the UK situations in much detail, but maybe he sees himself as a potential Hoover coming on board at a time when economic contraction is more likely.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:41 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:

I think Spartacus said it better than I can. He has achieved what he set out to do many years ago. He has had years of disdain, from many of his own countrymen. I would imagine many threats of physical harm also. Against himself, and his family.

He suffers from poor health, and is in pain from earlier incidents in his life. Maybe he just doesn't feel up to battling any more. He has said himself he never wanted to be a career politician.

He remains a MEP, so I would think he will keep an eye on what is happening from that perspective. I will not say he should carry on. He has had many years of hard work to achieve what he has for my country.

For that, we are in his eternal debt. Ordinary working people in my country will hear nothing against this man. He spoke up for them, when the political elite thought they were beaten, and compliant. He encouraged us to believe we could win this vote, despite the fear tactics used against us. He showed us we had nothing to fear from the seemingly powerful by laughing in their faces.

He is a hero. Sorry if you find that hard to understand.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
You do have to give a guy credit for stating he is going to do something, working towards that goal and actually accomplishing it.

Generally we just get lies over here.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:59 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,431,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You do have to give a guy credit for stating he is going to do something, working towards that goal and actually accomplishing it.

Generally we just get lies over here.
Yes. This speech will go down in English history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnx_ZRIBM98

Old 07-05-2016, 10:02 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
He remains a MEP, so I would think he will keep an eye on what is happening from that perspective. I will not say he should carry on. He has had many years of hard work to achieve what he has for my country.
One might have thought he had a clear vision for the path forward, and was prepared to lead the way, but apparently he had no such intentions. Instead, he farts and darts, and continues to serve the EU.

Quote:
That would depend on how things turn out. Even George Bush was called a hero by some people when he started the war against Iraq, but they stopped when the war turned out to be the biggest political screw-up in recent history.

Old 07-05-2016, 12:13 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,354,091 times
Some here seem to think Brexit was a conclusive event.

I would think it more a big win in the initial skirmish of a long war. Farage won this one but it will have to survive multiple tests to be the actual outcome.

The real decision is a long way off. So Farage is claiming victory and ducking back just as the battle is really joined.

Old 07-06-2016, 12:48 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
Quote:
Greece? Things might be different in Greece, if they had control of their own currency, but they don't. We do. Back in the day before the Euro, countries were able to revalue their currencies when they hit hard times, but that option is no longer available to the Euro members.

US situation can't be compared to Greece in any way.
Actually, it can. When our national debt approaches the level of debt Greece had -- about 150% of GDP or more -- no one will buy U.S. treasuries and our economy will collapse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Monetary sovereignty is what Greece does not have. The USA can never 'be Greece'. The USA can always create its own money if necessary to bolster its economy and/or fight a war.
Actually, we don't just "create our money." The Fed sells U.S. treasuries -- meaning U.S. IOUs or debt -- to whoever will buy them.

Eventually, people will stop buying.

As our national debt surpasses our GDP and starts approaching the level of our total national wealth -- both public and private -- they will lose confidence in our ability to pay them back.

Quote:
One might have thought he had a clear vision for the path forward, and was prepared to lead the way, but apparently he had no such intentions. Instead, he farts and darts, and continues to serve the EU.
Nigel Farage doesn't "serve the EU."

On the contrary, he represents part of Britain in the EU.

And he succeeded in getting Britain to vote to exit the EU.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:24 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
May God bless the Brits for standing up to a corrupt system-which was designed to shortchange them.

Remember to buy from British citizens when you can now.

On Farage, I do think his exit was a bit premature, and he should have waited until it was a "done deal". The leaders are already trying to dial it back. I find it entertaining how they vacillate between "make Britain leave now" and "let's vote again"..

confused much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies