Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 07:48 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,466,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
More than 1.5 million Brits are demanding a second EU referendum.

"We the undersigned call upon HM Government to implement a rule that if the remain or leave vote is less than 60% based on a turnout less than 75% there should be another referendum."

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/131215

Because the petition has more than a 100,000 signatures Parliament will consider a debate on the subject.
You understand that Brexit passed by a bigger percent than Obama won by in 2012? People need to stop being sore losers on both sides. Whether it's dozens of meaningless votes to repeal Obamacare or this, it's all stupid.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:49 AM

3,841 posts, read 1,977,962 times
The day before they gave the exit 25% chance of passing. That would be 75% chance of remain. About the same as predicted for a Hillary win.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:53 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
I have no doubt that 'some' voters were confused, and may have thought that it was, for instance, a referendum on immigration. However, I rather doubt that it was enough people to have changed the result.

I do like one theory that some people voted 'leave', thinking that 'stay' would win, and so they could have a moral foundation in which to complain to their friends, in future, that 'Hey, I voted to leave!'

I also have no doubt that some are having regrets, seeing what happened to the various stock exchanges, and, perhaps, realizing that while the United Kingdom is the 'fifth largest economy' in the world, some of the reason for that happy status was precisely because the UK was a member of the E.U.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 AM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,977,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
The day before they gave the exit 25% chance of passing.
That's not what the markets reflected the day before. Would mind showing your work?

Old 06-25-2016, 07:57 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
you might be right if someone is already living on those 401k and other retirement plans, but to the person that is in the 401k long term, it means very little, as this is just 1 more year out of 20-30+ years in their plan.
Of course, and also to those that are close to retirement and may be getting ready to make the switch from salary to retirement sources?

Old 06-25-2016, 07:57 AM

29,813 posts, read 24,891,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Sure, while you are capable of working, your job is your primary source of income. Not planning on retiring may work out if you have a quick accidental death along the way. But sooner or later, you most likely will retire due to any number of reasons (your health takes a turn for the worse, a layoff comes along, job dissatisfaction makes it a mental pain to go to work, maybe being pushed out because you are older and not seen as effective as younger workers, etc). That's when your source of income will shift and rely on any of these sources: SS, a pension (becoming less likely now than it was years ago), retirement accounts (IRAs, 401k's), stocks, a savings account, maybe a part time job if your health doesn't prevent that. That's what's in store for most and that's why the market has become important for so many nowadays.
Yes, and every now and again, markets tumble, or do other things that people do not plan for. That's why I say, you have not made any money in the stock market until you have sold and made a profit, or plan to chase dividends.

I think herding the elderly into the stock market is a recipe for disaster.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,340,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
You all sound like this is a permanent thing and everyone just got screwed when just the opposite is true. The market will rebound quickly from this. I love the negative Nancy's out there crying "the sky is falling". The market goes down then goes back up again. It will take a few days or a few weeks for investors to realize this is nothing and start buying again. What a bunch of cry babies.
You got me on that first statement. What is the great thing that just happened?

Old 06-25-2016, 07:59 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
Of course, and also to those that are close to retirement and may be getting ready to make the switch from salary to retirement sources?

age 53 and already retired, just have to wait until age 59.5 to make withdrawals from my plans.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,178,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I have no doubt that 'some' voters were confused, and may have thought that it was, for instance, a referendum on immigration. However, I rather doubt that it was enough people to have changed the result.

I do like one theory that some people voted 'leave', thinking that 'stay' would win, and so they could have a moral foundation in which to complain to their friends, in future, that 'Hey, I voted to leave!'

I also have no doubt that some are having regrets, seeing what happened to the various stock exchanges, and, perhaps, realizing that while the United Kingdom is the 'fifth largest economy' in the world, some of the reason for that happy status was precisely because the UK was a member of the E.U.
This was a discussion that had been on going for years. People knew what they were voting for. It's just an excuse by those who are bitter because they lost. Seems so odd that those actually from there that are defending the vote while it's those from elsewhere condemning it.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:00 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,608,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I now temporary stay in a leafy suburb on my vacation. Everywhere I go out to eat, high end restaurants, are all served by non British accent, they don't even know what's the local beer. It will be a wash in the scheme of things.
It will be a wash only if those 1.3 million returning Brits are minimum wage earners like the foreigners who will leave UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies