Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 10:01 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,297,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
We barely raise an eyebrow at mass homicides anymore unless the killer has bought into ISIS ideology.

Why is this?
Because "our thoughts and prayers" went out to the victims.

What more do you expect MAM!

(sarcasm)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 10:41 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,640,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But of course, at all costs, let's maintain the sociopaths ability to access a 40 oz piece of stuff he can tuck into his pants unseen with a capacity of 13 shots or more at a time to act out with, eh? Force the guy to use a hammer and someone will drop him with a handy crowbar.
That's neat, but you quoted me saying "It's ridiculous to think the sociopath that plans out a shooting can't just as easily plan out a bombing." Not hammers and crowbars. Bombs. Want to try that one again, this time responding to what I wrote instead of what you wanted to read?

Quote:
You folks seem unable to assign a relevant priority to this issue of personal ownership of firearms based upon any semblance of common sense.

You all maintain you absolutely must have them to forestall a tyrannical government AND to protect yourselves from your fellow citizens when you are less free due to government over-reach than many nations whose citizens are armed with nothing more than a functioning democratic process AND you are being killed in numbers equating to actual wars by your fellow citizens all armed to protect themselves from who again? Why each other of course............the very definition of a catch 22 and an oxymoron if ever there was one.
Settle down, take a breath and try it again. That came out as total gibberish.

Quote:
Truck on...; Darwin had you folks in mind when he wrote his dissertations. Your future is going to get nothing but worse before you grapple with the stupidity of your gun decisions.
Care to back that up with some quotes from Darwin? I'll wait.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:48 AM

28,983 posts, read 30,377,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
The only reason I'm "happy" I found this thread (which I was looking for on the Currents Events forum) is because at least someone cares enough to talk about this tragedy.

It's gotten to the point that, since we have an average of 25 mass shootings per month, people are becoming jaded to the fact that we have such a high rate of violent crime in this country. We hear all the time, "our thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims," but that doesn't stop the next guy from buying a gun and murdering more innocent people.
I was thinking about this tragic issue this morning, and for a moment, I thought in anger, "they should get rid of all guns"....but then I went back to my old way of thinking....no matter how many guns you take away, the mentally ill who have some crazy intent to harm others will do so regardless....

and I always think of prohibition...and what a lucrative business that made for all the criminals....

We have more people in the U.S. then ever before....which means, many more crazy people....there is at least one shooting a day in Philly and usually more....which I'd believe is mostly gang related....

the criminal will always get the guns, b/c you will have people making the guns illegally...

I'm not happy about this either...but taking away the guns is a quick fix that solves nothing...

Old 02-26-2016, 10:50 AM

28,983 posts, read 30,377,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
So I guess blacks can't say that whites have a monopoly on mass shootings since lately they have been doing it just as much.
I live near one large city...and every day there is at least one shooting, they don't give the race that is doing the shooting, so....? Just saying....

Old 02-26-2016, 10:56 AM

1,431 posts, read 916,233 times
Quote:
What? was I not specific enough for your liking? You know damn well what I was referring to by calling it a 'piece of stuff'. Most of the world does not elevate the handgun to the revered icon status you Americans do.

Comical irony is someone ignoring what your love of the firearm is currently doing to your country while claiming the things are all that are keeping you free and safe.....now THAT'S comical irony for you.
Dude, you don't even know enough about guns to criticize them correctly in your rant. I have never in my life heard of anyone getting shot with a "40oz" with a 13 round capacity. Did you mean ".40 caliber"? And I still don't know what "piece of stuff" is; maybe that's some slang term you use wherever you're from.

I don't have an irrational "love of the firearm", but I don't think they should all be taken away or whatever solution you're suggesting. What do you propose is the solution?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:30 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,545,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Dude, you don't even know enough about guns to criticize them correctly in your rant. I have never in my life heard of anyone getting shot with a "40oz" with a 13 round capacity. Did you mean ".40 caliber"? And I still don't know what "piece of stuff" is; maybe that's some slang term you use wherever you're from.

I don't have an irrational "love of the firearm", but I don't think they should all be taken away or whatever solution you're suggesting. What do you propose is the solution?
"Dude"; I was hunting the pacific northwest for weeks at a time with nothing fancier than a sporterized Lee Enfield .303 and it's military adjustable "peep" sight and an heirloom Webley large frame .455 for back up in a surplus webbing shoulder holster probably before you were a gleam in daddies eye.

In the mid sixties I oversaw production lines in C.A.Ltd (Inglis) manufacturing barrels for both your M14's and later M16's, the gas return block and recharge pistons, the anodized aluminum barrels for your M79 (blooper) 40mm grenade launcher, the complete Browning HyPower, the Patchette SMG that replaced that piece of crap Sten, barrels and receiver assy's for the FNC1 and A1, even bayonets for your National Guard just to name a few items I was responsible for.

What is the ball park average weight of a fully charged, all metal Colt 1911 pattern .45 ACP for instance. Not the shorter barreled defender/combat series but the old original.

I could have shaved off a bunch considering this most recent perp was using what looks like a double stack polymer composite Glock but that's my defaulting to weights associated with my history period of most handguns of my era weighing mid 30 oz.s into the 40's fully loaded.

I don't have an irrational love for firearms either but holding certificates in four skilled trades gives me an ability to appreciate the inner workings and nice machining of a better quality semi or revolver any day.

I do not advocate confiscation or elimination. That horse left the barn decades ago. I advocate a general mindset change of the average American as it applies to firearms ownership in general. Only then can rational approach to ownership even begin to take hold.

A long term process to be sure, but surely even the most dim among you can see the current situation not improving along with your freedom to feel secure in your own daily routine activities gradually degrading until you long for the days when fewer of you were carrying because fewer of you felt the need to.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie899 View Post
A gun gives someone an advantage over a knife or another type of weapon. This is well known. But.. I still believe most people need to own a gun for self defense. I don't enjoy that fact but it's the way it is. People need to be able to protect themselves and their families against violent intruders in their home or street criminals. Every woman who does not own a car and requires taking the bus, subway or walking long distances to work or college should also consider carrying a gun.

Sexual assault is much higher than we're lead to believe and most of the true "Rape statistics" are kept in the shadows away from the public or completely under reported. Women, trust me.. You need to protect yourself.
Would you agree that won't change if continued acceptance of the status-quo is adhered to?

Wouldn't you like that to change?

Old 02-26-2016, 11:54 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,640,883 times
Quote:
Would you agree that won't change if continued acceptance of the status-quo is adhered to?

Wouldn't you like that to change?
Can you define that "status quo" without hyperbole?

Old 02-26-2016, 12:04 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,297,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
So I guess blacks can't say that whites have a monopoly on mass shootings since lately they have been doing it just as much.
I don't know about that. I doubt it.

Anyway, what difference does it make? After all...

..."our thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of this senseless tragedy."

Right? And that's all that matters.

Old 02-26-2016, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie899 View Post
The criminal underworld Arsenal of guns is too high for "gun control laws" to make a difference. Criminals would still be getting them all the time from the source I just mentioned.
I completely understand your frustration.

My leaning is with policing the laws currently on the books in a manner never before adhered to. Weapons obtained illegally should warrant a very stiff penalty. Loop-holes in the process of obtaing firearms should be closed.

The "rights' of an American to purchase legally a weapon can be maintained but the process should be at least as monitored and restrictive as buying anything designed solely to inflict damage.

Why is it that Americans alone feel the need to defend themselves to such a degree not witnessed by other first world nations? Why is there such a preponderance of criminality in the U.S.?

What went wrong so as to create a climate where so many choose to become gang members, thugs or simply common criminals?

Starting at the source of what conditions entice criminality instead of the result (being the gun) would seem to be imperative to any legislator, but instead all seem intent on ignoring the obvious until anarchy ultimately reigns supreme.

At this juncture, without any measurable change, I can fully understand those calling for the concept of everyone being armed and letting the chips fall where they may. That's a sad indictment on a society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies