Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 01:41 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,897,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
You could also drink at work and grab a secretary's ass whenever you wanted to.
Oh how I long for those good ol' days.

But I'm sure our grandchildren will look back at 2016 and say things like, wow I couldn't believe you could get away with that back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 04:13 AM

7,185 posts, read 3,698,753 times
There's a reason why the people in the picture are white... those 'good old days' were basically only good for certain people. And, really, only for the guy in the picture. The woman, wearing a skirt, gloves, and a girdle - if she was working, she was subjected to inequality and sexual harassment - only there wasn't a word for it back then. If she was married, she couldn't sign a contract by herself, had to ask her husband for the money to buy groceries, and, if he was an abuser, told that she wasn't doing a good job in pleasing him. I won't even talk about people of color during that time. No thanks, those days are long gone, and good riddance!

Old 03-04-2016, 04:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,300,389 times
It wasn't really as easy as you make it sound. WWI, WWII, Korean War. My parents lost high school friends in those wars.
We only had one car (as did most people) so my dad shared a couple of days a week to commute to work so that my mother could use the car for shopping.
TV was black and whit only, and the screen was small. Transistor radios were new, but not of good quality sound. Stereophonic sound had just been introduced (the movie, "This is Cinerama" introduced it in the theater).
Of course, no personal computers. Kids played outside. I built model planes and yachts. Some kids were into model cars.
A lot of people didn't have a dishwasher.
To own a boat was a luxury that most people couldn't afford (We bought our first sailboat in 1961, a 20' Highlander).
Most teens didn't have a car of their own. Some had scooters.

Old 03-04-2016, 04:57 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,375,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
...Where there was enough room for everyone to have a house and yard within commuting distance of a good job?...
(emphasis mine)

Nope, I don't remember that. Probably because it has never existed.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:04 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,839,727 times
I just puked. I was born like 20/30 years too late.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:10 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Nope, I'm too young and would have been of the wrong background had my family immigrated here at that point. Thank God they didn't. The U.S. was a backward, immoral mess at that time, despite the picture some would like to paint today.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:12 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,839,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It wasn't really as easy as you make it sound. WWI, WWII, Korean War. My parents lost high school friends in those wars.
We only had one car (as did most people) so my dad shared a couple of days a week to commute to work so that my mother could use the car for shopping.
TV was black and whit only, and the screen was small. Transistor radios were new, but not of good quality sound. Stereophonic sound had just been introduced (the movie, "This is Cinerama" introduced it in the theater).
Of course, no personal computers. Kids played outside. I built model planes and yachts. Some kids were into model cars.
To own a boat was a luxury that most people couldn't afford (We bought our first sailboat in 1961, a 20' Highlander).
Aside from the war, there is(was) nothing wrong with the above.
Good times.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:24 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,578,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

and don't forget you got beaten in school if you put did anything majorly wrong (and no one cared). My elementary school principle was a nasty old guy who had a huge wooden paddle hanging over his desk. Neighborhood parents thought nothing of disciplining other people's kids. Black kids from segregated neighborhoods were bused to my school 15 minutes late every day. Those kids always had lost looks on their faces.

Fun was going and standing in front of the street sweeper so I got sprayed with water, or waiting for the ice cream truck, or even pretending I was hurt so cars would stop to investigate. Clothes were still made in America, the South voted solidly Democratic and many things cost too much but paid for US instead of foreign jobs.

Of course Vietnam and the 60's upheavals was to change most of that.

Old 03-04-2016, 05:29 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,359,919 times
I would encourage you to look at the income tax rates at that time.

http://taxfoundation.org/sites/defau...ry_nominal.pdf

Old 03-04-2016, 06:45 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,658,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
An America where new inventions that increased our standard of living were hitting market rapidly?

Where there was enough room for everyone to have a house and yard within commuting distance of a good job?

Where your income was going every year while at the same time the cost of living was going down?

Where there were no school shootings?

Where 1 man working a 9-5 job could raise multiple kids and still have money left over for retirement?

I grew up in that environment!

It WAS GREAT. However:

the environment was DIRTY- trash on the road sides and smog over cities

cars were marginally reliable

air conditioning was a luxury

only the rich had color tvs

the vietnam war was beginning

very few could afford to fly- it was what rich people did

you had to DIG in libraries for information- no computers or internet

seatbelts were not mandated until 1964, so many cars did not have seatbelts

water quality sucked

clothes were relatively expensive compared to now- new clothing was special

retail shopping was limited- whatever was available in your local store was it

multiple copies of documents had to be mimeographed

music was on LPs or on the radio- that's it- very few had massive LP collections

kids could be beaten badly by parents- no problem

dining out was an uncommon luxury- even McDonalds

three tv stations, and they all turned off at midnight

soda pop was a luxury

as a golfer, the balls sucked- they would cut to reveal rubber bands and could be knocked out of round

t-shirts and casual clothing was not allowed in schools- "hard shoes" unless in PE or playgrounds

EVERYTHING smelled like cigarette smoke- everything

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 03-04-2016 at 07:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies