Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 03:23 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,796,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
A couple of observations on this:

First it takes two to tango and both participants are equally responsible with the outcome (excluding rape or force relations). Second preventative methods are not always affective, our younger daughter is proof of that. Finally those who are preaching abstinence need to join the 21st century.

Woman have one battle cry when it comes to an unplanned pregnancy condition "It's my child, it's my decision" until said child is born then 'Its your child, its your responsibility". Why should the man be bound to the child because she alone chose and equally why shouldn't the woman have the child with the man being the custodian and the woman paying child support. What is the answer that's a good one but the way it works now is not good and ultimately the kids pay the price in most cases.
Your first sentence is the main point. Once you decide to have sex you have to be prepared for the consequence. When I said that abstinence is an option, I mean that it is the only way for either party to ensure that a baby isn't created. You can't choose to have sex and then lament that you now have a baby to take care up as if you had no choice in the matter. I don't believe in teaching abstinence only when it comes to sex education, I fully believe that contraception needs to be taught and made available to everyone.

Biology dictates that the man options is only limited to moment of conception and a woman has months to make hers, there is nothing that can be done to change that. The idea that it's inherently unfair for men because the woman is the one that chooses to carry to term or abort, is just bs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2016, 03:39 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,277,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellymdnv View Post
Biology dictates that the man options is only limited to moment of conception and a woman has months to make hers, there is nothing that can be done to change that. The idea that it's inherently unfair for men because the woman is the one that chooses to carry to term or abort, is just bs.
Actually biology doesn't dictate that women have months to make a decision. That's a fallacy. The decision is made at the same time as a mans decision. If biology determined they had a choice beyond that then women could self terminate at will, and there would be no requirement for laws permitting medical procedures and treatments to eliminate unwanted pregnancies.

However legally women have the right to choose, I fully support that. Don't however use a biology argument to claim a man has more limited options, because it's entirely irrelevant to why women have less limited options. Biology would determine during the course of pregnancy whether the progeny is viable, and either come to term or miscarry, that is entirely involuntary. Intercession is needed to provide that extended choice window.

So that said why not provide the same choice window to men?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:39 AM

1,431 posts, read 913,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMysterious View Post
Men should never have a say in abortion until they're able to give birth. Until then, there's nothing they need to say about it, really.

Viewing support as a 'punishment to men' is a real deadbeat way to look at things imo.
Not necessarily. It's commonly known that many women use children as traps to keep a man around, and then punish him if he leaves. Which is a lose-lose for men, because who would want to be with a woman who uses their own offspring as pawns?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Not necessarily. It's commonly known that many women use children as traps to keep a man around, and then punish him if he leaves. Which is a lose-lose for men, because who would want to be with a woman who uses their own offspring as pawns?
Well hey, if it's so commonly known, why are men still not covering it up? Who's the stupid one here?

Old 03-14-2016, 07:45 AM

25,849 posts, read 16,537,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
OK, you're a guy with a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She decides she's going to abort the child. You say no. But you have no right to that child no matter how you want it. She has the abortion. Case closed.

Well, new scenario.

You're a guy and a gal. Mistakenly you impregnate her. She wants to keep the child, you don't. She's going to have it no matter what you want and you are forced to an obligation of 18 years to support this child at the minimum - monetarily.

What if you could abort the child legally? She still gets to have the child, only you are now legally disconnected from the obligation. This would come at a price of no rights of visitation also.

So what's wrong with it?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...al-group-says/
I had this talk with my boys when they got to around 16 years old. Told them that not only is sex outside of marriage a sin, there are terrible ramifications that last a long time for 30 seconds of fun.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Well hey, if it's so commonly known, why are men still not covering it up? Who's the stupid one here?
You make a good point. To answer your question, it's also commonly known that a lot of men think with the little head.

Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northeastah View Post
wear a condom
This came to my head as well. Wear a condom with spermicide and know that anytime you have sex, even with a condom, there is a possibility of a pregnancy and all that entails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
A fetus is as much a part of the fathers body as it is the mothers.
LOL. You must be a man if that is a serious comment lol!

Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veezybell View Post
Child support is not a "punishment" to the man lol.

It is legal financial support of a child.

FWIW, I have never had to deal with the child support laws/courts/etc., but I find it hilarious that many men think in this way. You fail to realize that the custodial mother provides financial support to the child. Is she punishing herself? It is silly to think that providing monetary support for one's child is punishment. That is what you are supposed to do for your child, especially if you are not living with the mother.

Also, FWIW, I always suggest to men, who are not married to their children's mother to go file for joint custody of the child. That way, they don't have to pay for child support.

You'd be surprised at how many men scoff at that idea. They don't want to take care of the child for 24 hours a day for 3-4 days per week and do all that one needs to do to raise the child. Those guys are the primary ones who b***tch about child support.

My dad was kind of a womanizer. He has 5 kids with 3 different women and he paid child support for all of us. He didn't see it as a punishment though. He worked 3 jobs (one was primarily for paying child support) and he visited with us every weekend and he never complained about the money. He had 2 "baby mama's" that were kind of nutty and he actually liked the court ordered support for those kids due to it being taken automatically and him not having to deal with them too much lol.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Child support is not a "punishment" to the man lol.

It is legal financial support of a child.

FWIW, I have never had to deal with the child support laws/courts/etc., but I find it hilarious that many men think in this way. You fail to realize that the custodial mother provides financial support to the child. Is she punishing herself? It is silly to think that providing monetary support for one's child is punishment. That is what you are supposed to do for your child, especially if you are not living with the mother.

Also, FWIW, I always suggest to men, who are not married to their children's mother to go file for joint custody of the child. That way, they don't have to pay for child support.

You'd be surprised at how many men scoff at that idea. They don't want to take care of the child for 24 hours a day for 3-4 days per week and do all that one needs to do to raise the child. Those guys are the primary ones who b***tch about child support.

My dad was kind of a womanizer. He has 5 kids with 3 different women and he paid child support for all of us. He didn't see it as a punishment though. He worked 3 jobs (one was primarily for paying child support) and he visited with us every weekend and he never complained about the money. He had 2 "baby mama's" that were kind of nutty and he actually liked the court ordered support for those kids due to it being taken automatically and him not having to deal with them too much lol.
I didn't say child support was punishment to the father. What I'm saying is that a lot of vindictive women use the system in order to milk the father for as much as they can. This is why you have people like P. Diddy paying 100k a month for child support. Let's be honest...is that really necessary? This is an example of what I'm talking about right here:

Diddy Slams Baby Mama Over Reckless Child Support Check Spending | EURweb

Old 03-14-2016, 11:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
If you waited 'till your boys were 16 to explain about sex you were probably way too late. Way too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies