Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 02:56 AM

991 posts, read 629,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
Another fake outrage thread based on an edited video for propaganda purposes.

Also, to those who never went to college, please understand that the purposes of debates are not so one-dimensional. Sometimes, the conclusions from the debates are not as important as the logical exercises that students go through.

Back when I was president of the debate club in college, one topic that we voted on having was... should we blow up the moon? The only other time that we had the auditorium so packed was when we debated about gay marriage.

But whatever, can't really argue with simpletons who think they could judge a whole debate based on a horribly edited video.
So all the Kill Whitey stuff was edited in?

And blowing up the moon would also be equal to "Kill all Negros" in a debate to you .. a former Debate President?

Um, ok.

btw, I went to UofM (miami) was in a debate club (one year) and I can't remember debating killing anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 03:23 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
IF anyone read the link - these are NOT "Harvard Students", they are a Debate Team from West Georgia University.
The Debate Competition was held at Harvard and the subject of the debate was supposed to be about renewable energy.

I guess Harvard provide a "Safe Space" for their Debate.
So funny to read the responses here. They are appalled at these "Harvard students"! Title of the thread contributes to the nonsense.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:30 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
America would be better off if that school was shut down.
Harvard or West Georgia?

Old 03-18-2016, 03:40 AM

52,274 posts, read 52,700,922 times
I'm at a loss for words... truly.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:18 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If whites said that blacks should kill themselves, it would be national news.
Yep.

Old 03-18-2016, 04:57 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
The guy looks about 40% white and has a Spanish name.
i thought mr. excitable was hispanic, and definitely not black.

so it is the hispanic kid telling the whites to kill themselves, which is interesting since more hispanics are identifying as white on the census than before:

The researchers found that 2.5 million Americans of Hispanic origin, or approximately 7 percent of the 35 million Americans of Hispanic origin in 2000, changed their race from “some other race” in 2000 to “white” in 2010. An additional 1.3 million people switched in the other direction. A noteworthy but unspecified share of the change came from children who weren’t old enough to fill out a form in 2000, but chose for themselves in 2010. (new york times)

maybe he is suicidal.

of course, it doesn't surprise me that harvard would host this kind of debate since most of our policy wonks come from those ranks.

the parents should get their tuition money back,and that would shut the whole racist BS down.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:07 AM

1,268 posts, read 798,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
IF anyone read the link - these are NOT "Harvard Students", they are a Debate Team from West Georgia University.
The Debate Competition was held at Harvard and the subject of the debate was supposed to be about renewable energy.

I guess Harvard provide a "Safe Space" for their Debate.
Don't mess with the faux outrage. Anyone educated is a danger to conservatives. Critical thought is not their friend. It's much easier for corporations to really get the handouts if they can divide the ignorant with racism and classism. This pattern work, and it is the true reason our country has declined. TThe supposed party of the Constitution actually has a problem with free speech.

For instance, I'm sure I have been pegged as a person living the high life on the government dole by this point in my post. In reality, I am a 41 year old, college educated, white male paying in one of the top tax brackets because I make over six figures a year. I pay more of a percentage of my income than any of their Trump idols, but it doesn't fit the narrative.

There is nothing wrong with exploration of free thought. If this is the opinion of this student, learn from it. Obviously, something has shaped his view. Perhaps, we, as a society, might be able to do better. Of course, it's just easier to get angry and post endlessly about one man's perception of the world. The takeaway should be not everyone thinks like you, acts like you, or has had your experiences. This is exactly what higher education is about. While I may not agree with his view, I can't just dismiss what might be his influence for this feeling. We all live on this planet, and our survival and harmony depends on us being free to communicate our perspectives. It's just easier to put your fingers in your ear and shout. It's also childish, but not everyone that is physically an adult has developed an adult pattern of critical thought.

Old 03-18-2016, 05:42 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,831,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
If whites said that blacks should kill themselves, it would be national news.

You bet.

Harvard isn't alone the loopy world of universities. Kamau Kambone, who's haunted a number of college campus
teachers' lounges, said that white people should be exterminated. That was on C-span, over 10 years ago, and it wasn't national news once in all that time. Though Obama did say that he "made some good points." Not surprisingly, the MNM never asked him to clarify that statement.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:03 AM

15,638 posts, read 10,393,078 times
Many of these college students will be running our government and schools in a few years. It isn't just one Georgia University debate team with this mentality, folks, if you are keeping up with college news.

Old 03-18-2016, 06:15 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,116,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by epliny View Post
So all the Kill Whitey stuff was edited in?

And blowing up the moon would also be equal to "Kill all Negros" in a debate to you .. a former Debate President?

Um, ok.

btw, I went to UofM (miami) was in a debate club (one year) and I can't remember debating killing anyone?
That's not what I said.

I said it's impossible to know the context by watching an edited very short version of a debate or any other conversation for that matter.

The point of debate clubs in college is to allow students to exercise free thought and reason. My experience is edited videos into something this short tend to be taking the speaker out of context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies