Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 08:38 AM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhms View Post
They are a mix of multiple groups so they should mark those groups.

They usually don't though. They just pick one that they identify with. That does not reflect accuracy though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 08:40 AM

8,069 posts, read 6,973,894 times
I honestly don't care if people have issues with my ethnicity or the boxes I mark or don't mark. It's their problem not mine. I mark whatever box I feel like marking. If someone is so concerned with "race accuracy" that tells me their priorities are really messed up.

I think your ethnicity is more important when you are a kid or teenager trying to fit in. Those hispanics who grow up in mostly white neighborhoods have a more difficult time with identity, especially if they don't even speak fluent Spanish. It depends on their personalities too. If the kid is an extrovert he will probably do fine.

Old 03-28-2016, 10:03 AM

35,709 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
They usually don't though. They just pick one that they identify with. That does not reflect accuracy though.
why we need to box anyone?

Old 03-28-2016, 10:05 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,757,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I honestly don't care if people have issues with my ethnicity or the boxes I mark or don't mark. It's their problem not mine. I mark whatever box I feel like marking. If someone is so concerned with "race accuracy" that tells me their priorities are really messed up.
Agreed. And it's not the place of a non-Latino to say what a Latino is or isn't, or whether or not the Latino term actually exists.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:40 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCrossroads View Post
Agreed. And it's not the place of a non-Latino to say what a Latino is or isn't, or whether or not the Latino term actually exists.
What is a "non" Latino?

Why I ask is there was a nasty white supremacist 50 years ago named Leander Perez who hated Black people and was real tight with Bull Connor in the old Jim Crow South. Perez was of Spanish family so under US gov't rules he'd be tagged as Hispanic/Latino in 2016.

OTOH: what about the former prez of Peru; Alberto Fujimori? He's of 100 percent Japanese family but would also be "Hispanic" under US rules tho with NO Spanish blood.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:52 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,896,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
why we need to box anyone?
In order for the government to measure how well they are doing in their effort to achieve equal outcome for minorities. So you can have more half-truth headlines used to promote economic equality regardless of effort.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:34 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,591,728 times
Latinos are extremely racist. But most of them come from Spanish and Portugues colonies where they have learned some of the most messed up racial hiearchies known to man. At least you can say in America that British interest in slavery was mostly financial. But I feel that Spain and Portugal had a deep seated and bitter hatred towards anyone with dark skin. And with the mentalities in Latin America it shows that there is a vicious contempt for people with dark skin.

Old 03-28-2016, 03:58 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,909,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Latinos are extremely racist. But most of them come from Spanish and Portugues colonies where they have learned some of the most messed up racial hiearchies known to man. At least you can say in America that British interest in slavery was mostly financial. But I feel that Spain and Portugal had a deep seated and bitter hatred towards anyone with dark skin. And with the mentalities in Latin America it shows that there is a vicious contempt for people with dark skin.
Def the same here: many, NOT "all", Hispanic people want to look like northern white Europeans but won't quite admit to it.

Old 03-28-2016, 04:19 PM

62,974 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Ethnicity does not equate to race. They are two separate things. The Census asks what race you are which is genetic makeup. Why would anyone want to claim they are a certain race when they are not. Mixed is mixed not just one race. Kind of reminds me of those who just call Obama black when he is not. He is mixed black and white.

Old 03-28-2016, 06:57 PM

3,852 posts, read 2,229,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmysnuka View Post
Wait until the Hispanics are a majority in this country.
The reason their numbers are growing is because it's a meaningless term. Almost anybody can be counted as "hispanic". If you have any origin in a country where spanish was once the official language you're a "hispanic/latino", that's irrespective of race, culture, national origin, or even language.

A white woman with one argentine grandmother that doesn't speak any spanish is a "hispanic" and a minority.

It's an illusion. The demographics are not really changing at all, just arbitrary ethnic definitions are. Just 40 years ago there was no hispanic minority group. They're making it up as they go along.

Last edited by Tritone; 03-28-2016 at 07:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies