Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 05:29 AM

643 posts, read 472,036 times

Advertisements

The Conundrum
These two, short sentences tell you a lot about our government and our culture:
  1. We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
And here's another one worth considering. 2. Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't.

Old 04-04-2016, 05:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
I believe neither group can be judged by association. What does that make me?

Old 04-04-2016, 06:05 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I believe neither group can be judged by association. What does that make me?
Sane.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:06 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
I for one would LOVE to hear a liberal explain why it's ok to judge gun owners by the actions of a few, but not Muslims. You can't have it both ways. I thought the OP raised an excellent point.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-04-2016 at 06:31 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 06:12 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
I for one would LOVE to hear a liberal explain why it's ok to judge gun owners by the actions of a few, but not Muslims. You can't have it both ways. I thought the OP raised an excellent point.
Why should they be any different than those who see things in the opposite light? Would this be you?

Old 04-04-2016, 06:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarjoe View Post
The Conundrum
  1. We are advised to NOT judge ALL Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics, but we are encouraged to judge ALL gun owners by the actions of a few lunatics. Funny how that works.
And here's another one worth considering. 2. Seems we constantly hear about how Social Security is going to run out of money. How come we never hear about welfare running out of money? What's interesting is the first group "worked for" their money, but the second didn't.
Some animals are more equal than others.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
The Conundrum
I haven't heard people judge all gun owners, and the claim that welfare recipients never worked sounds horribly dishonest. I don't know many welfare recipients, but all of the once I do know have worked pretty much all their lives.

Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
So it's automatic by association that Liberals (big L) wanting to do something about the proliferation of firearms is somehow JUDGING their legal owners?

Strawman of the first order.

That's like saying every car driver being required to obtain a license is an automatic negative judgement of every car driver's character.

Every pilot being required to undergo a medical exam is stating they're all of suspect physical condition.

Every teacher being required to obtain certification is because we know they're all stupid and need proof they're not.

Every truck driver obtaining a CDL is an automatic judgement of their capabilities being inadequate otherwise.

The guy that sets the charges at a demolition site needs some form of compliance governance because we assume he's going to just blow things up all over the place in a criminal manner if he doesn't prove his intent is bengin beforehand.

Yeppers; desiring some form of control over all these things and virtually every other aspect of risk associated daily life is simply because Liberals love to JUDGE! None of these is simply setting a minimum standard by which the general public's safety, well being and advancement can be enhanced.

Surely even the most rabid of tea partiers can see how fugging stupid that particular fallacy is?

Can we move along now from this stupid comparing of the Muslim meme to the firearm meme?

Cripes!

Old 04-04-2016, 06:29 AM

2,609 posts, read 4,361,461 times
Quote:
I don't judge gun owners as an entire group based on the actions of a few. I'm fairly liberal and a gun owner so...

Old 04-04-2016, 06:32 AM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Quote:
The Conundrum
1. Few judge all gun owners. In fact, I rarely hear liberals say that the problem is with gun owners. The problem is generally directed at lose laws regarding the regulation of firearms. If you want to say all gun owners are effected by the laws, that's fine, but is a separate thing from saying blame is being placed on them.

2. First of all, social security won't actually run out. No one is going to let that happen. They'll move money into it somehow. Maybe up the age that is required to get it. By the way, most people on welfare do work. It's quite hard to get welfare without working, unless you have a disability. Your understanding of welfare I'm guessing stems from a source that has an agenda? Tell me, have you ever met someone on welfare and taken the time to have a genuine conversation? Not surface level crap, like hows the weather, but a talk between to humans who care about the other?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies