Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2016, 02:18 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
yes because in 'Murica, if you don;t choose one of like 5 career fields, you deserve to be condemned to a life of poverty Let's all be pretty much the same thing and see how that works. America will become an even bigger chithole than it already is, if that's even possible
Why do you care? Are you ever coming back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 02:33 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,455,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
No sympathy. I not only know what life is like at $7.25/hour, I know what it is like at scraping by at $4.25/hr. I worked some very menial jobs in high school and college. You know what? It motivated me to bust my butt and do something about it; to fight tooth and nail to make those jobs as temporary as possible no matter the cost. It certainly was something I wouldn't settle into long-term. It also certainly helped me choose my major wisely. Once again, I have zero sympathy for those who turn those jobs, which are meant to be very temporary and have high turnover, into long-term or even career positions. Get the hell out if you don't like it. You have only yourself to blame for accepting such positions knowing what it pays. No one forced you take them, no one forces you stay, no one forced you to pick worthless majors, no one forced you to go into monstrous debt for that major. Be responsible for you life, your decisions, and the path you choose.

It would be helpful to have some comparable cost statistics handy. I have worked at both $4.25 and $7.25 per hour and not untl the past, say, two years, did I ever hear or see widespread angst that The Rent Is Too High. So I suspect that rents are a significantrly greater burden on minimum wage workers today than it was in 2010 or 2000 or any earlier time after the 1960s.l

Old 04-13-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Also, some (most?) cities have zoning regulations about how many unrelated people can live in one unit.

Yes, I am quite familiar with them. I have lived in a town where three unrelated in an 8BR house is unlawful and a family of six on a 2BR is okay.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Is it because cell phones and Internet didn't exist at that time? Also, that little for food, you were basically starving. And that little for rent, you would be lucky or living with roaches to find anything like that in a city that has jobs.
$200 a month for food is starving? Seriously? For one person? I feed a family of four on $300-$400 a month and we are far from starving. We eat balanced meals every night (except for the very occasional night when we order pizza or grab fast food). It takes some dedicated shopping, a willingness to buy generic, and knowing how to cut larger chunks of meat into smaller chunks of meat - which can be learned by watching youtube if necessary - but it is very possible.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
How I Keep Our Grocery Budget at $200 a Month for a Family of Four

Internet is free in many places and cell phone is totally unnecessary.

I hate these undated articles which seem so disconnected from current prices. If I limited meat purchases to those under $2.00 per pound, I'd be stuck with pretty much chicken and bologna. I do plan to purchase some ground beef this week at $2.99/lb - have not had any in several months - but I have not seen beef or pork as low as $2.00 for quite some time. Same with cheese, which also does not get down to $2.00 per pound.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:46 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Oh please...the fact is that if there are 12 burger flippers to every shift manager, 11 are going to continue doing what they are doing and only one has a chance of being promoted. The remaining 11 might be lazy or ignorant, or hard working and bright - there are simply not enough promotional opportunities in low paying jobs to create a path toward advancement. Your bootstrapper theory just does not pan out in real life
Conveniently ignoring the fact that of those 11, 5 will quit that job and move on the something better.

And what's an alternative to the hated "bootstrapping"? Permanently sucking off the hard taxpaying citizens' dollars?

Old 04-13-2016, 02:46 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,286,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
$200 a month for food is starving? Seriously? For one person? I feed a family of four on $300-$400 a month and we are far from starving. We eat balanced meals every night (except for the very occasional night when we order pizza or grab fast food). It takes some dedicated shopping, a willingness to buy generic, and knowing how to cut larger chunks of meat into smaller chunks of meat - which can be learned by watching youtube if necessary - but it is very possible.
Yes, living off $6 a day for food throughout an entire day is definitely on the starving level. Though to be fair, that is the American starving level, not third world starving.

Also, have you ever looked at what is in that cheap food you are buying? Then people wonder why the US has an obesity problem.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:56 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
Yes, living off $6 a day for food throughout an entire day is definitely on the starving level. Though to be fair, that is the American starving level, not third world starving.

Also, have you ever looked at what is in that cheap food you are buying? Then people wonder why the US has an obesity problem.

A decent roast can be used for.................Aw the hell with it. You know what you know.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:56 PM

19,838 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I hate these undated articles which seem so disconnected from current prices. If I limited meat purchases to those under $2.00 per pound, I'd be stuck with pretty much chicken and bologna. I do plan to purchase some ground beef this week at $2.99/lb - have not had any in several months - but I have not seen beef or pork as low as $2.00 for quite some time. Same with cheese, which also does not get down to $2.00 per pound.
Yes, but you are not eating a pound of meat a day, at least I hope not! The days of scrimping for food are long gone but I remember when I first moved out of my parents house not even getting Mac n cheese because it meant I would have to buy butter and milk to make it. Back then I would get a jar of pasta sauce and a lb. of spaghetti, some bananas, etc. to carry me through. I also used to bike to work and back when my car broke down. Those weren't easy times but I don't remember thinking anything of it. I shared a 4 bedroom condo with 4 lifeguards I knew from my previous job. It was my great motivator to get a better paying job. My next job paid double what I had been earning as a secretary. Even so, I continued to have at least one roommate for several years until I bought my own house.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
It's supposed to be temporary in many people's mind including the employers'. It's open called "starting salary" for a reason - that's where you start.

You don't need to take it as temporary. You can continue to do the minimum work and receive the minimum pay.

You are not forced by anybody except for your inability to choose between the minimum wage job and having no money for rent and food. If you want to cry, you really should go back to your parents to cry. Ultimately, your parents are responsible for you, not the society, taxpayers, or employers.

Anybody with decent amount of work ethics will quickly move up away from the minimum wage. Maybe you should learn a few of those such as show up on time and follow orders.

Come to an area with a surplus of labor. We have a glut of college-educated baristas and cashiers earning less than $10 per hour - in a rental market with <3 percent vacancy and rents increasing 10% year-over-year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies