Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2015, 05:27 PM

7,300 posts, read 3,400,015 times

Advertisements

This country is currently so politically divided that it is essentially a variety of vastly different nations fighting over which nation will have control of the rest of them for 4-8 years.

The metaphor of two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner has manifested itself in reality in the extreme.

The Left (now far left) is and should be frightened at the notion of Donald Trump determining their future for 4-8 years. Similarly, the Right (now far right) is and should be frightened of the possibility of Hillary Clinton determining their future for 4-8 years.

Democracy was first implemented in modern Europe, and then in what became the USA, to give people the possibility of true self determination. It worked so as long as the various interests in these countries were not too politically divided, as one could still state that the interests of all were still being served to a point.

This is no longer the case, as serving the interests of any of the various large groups precisely counteracts the interests of the other various large groups.

Thus, Democracy in this political environment has become a competition wherein it is decided which group will be the metaphorical sheep-dinner for 4-8 years; it has become a tool to control "the people" rather than to allow them to be self determinate.

How long can this go on? How long should it go on until we collectively realize that it is amoral?

Should the Left be continuously subject to rule that it finds to be hostile? Should the Right be continuously subject to rule that it finds to be hostile? I submit that this cycle is ridiculous and it can not nor should not last.

Ending democracy is one theoretical solution, but I don't believe that could be done amicably within the current sociopolitical milieu. Thus, I see a large scale, peaceful, and mutual secession as the best possible solution. The details are step two, or even step five, but first I believe that we need a national discussion that acknowledges how utterly broken and dysfunctional this system is without laying blame. All parties need to give up the notion of controlling large groups of people who hold their views to be repugnant, as this is the moral position. All parties need to envision how their lives would be better once they inhabited a Nation that was less divided.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,899,377 times
I got a better idea: a constitutional republic with a federal government with limited enumerated powers.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:32 PM

998 posts, read 665,650 times
The right would gladly secede from the rest of this country if it could; but the leftist elites in Washington will never let it happen.

The new "Right" nation would be wildly wealthy and successful within a couple years, while the "Left" nation would be in good company with Greece, begging the wealthier, more industrious, nations for money. Because that's all they know how to do.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,481,895 times
As the spectrum that represents the population's politics is broad and varied, and many people on opposite (or near opposite) ends of said spectrum live relatively close to each other, i.e. not segregated neatly by state or political boundaries, I doubt secession could ever happen.

[we're a checkerboard]

Old 07-10-2015, 05:34 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,408,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
The right would gladly secede from the rest of this country if it could; but the leftist elites in Washington will never let it happen.
Correct. The right throws temper tantrums every time they are forced to progress.

Quote:
The new "Right" nation would be wildly wealthy and successful within a couple years, while the "Left" nation would be in good company with Greece, begging the wealthier, more industrious, nations for money. Because that's all they know how to do.
Kind of like how prosperous all the right-wing states are?

Old 07-10-2015, 05:36 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,559,630 times
A southern secede would be in benefit of it's people.

It may happen.

Texas can lead it actually.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:38 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,652,910 times
Quote:
Well, whaddaya know???

The elitist left again has something in common with Abraham Lincoln!

Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 PM

998 posts, read 665,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Kind of like how prosperous all the right-wing states are?

Look toward the midwest for a small glimpse at the tremendous economic growth that would represent a nation with a strong, fiscally conservative political agenda. Even many of the southern states, which I assume you're referring to, are quite wealthy, if you exclude the overwhelmingly liberal, urban areas that drag them down economically.

Old 07-10-2015, 05:40 PM

Quote:

The Left Nation would not have to go begging. The Right Nation would just invade the Left Nation, overthrow the government, and nation-build it like we're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan. That's the only way to invest in our own country. It would probably work, too, since we're ready for democracy.

[]

Old 07-10-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Look toward the midwest for a small glimpse at the tremendous economic growth that would represent a nation with a strong, fiscally conservative political agenda. Even many of the southern states, which I assume you're referring to, are quite wealthy, if you exclude the overwhelmingly liberal, urban areas that drag them down economically.
I'm ok with this so I guess I'll have dual citizenship.

[]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies