Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:41 AM

29,548 posts, read 9,716,744 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Are you Muslim? Sorry, but you prejudices are showing and there's nothing objective about your protestations.
I am neither Muslim or Christian or Jewish, so I have no bias other than to suggest these religious groups please settle out a bit, get educated, mature, for the sake of peace for me and my children. In the same way you ask, I ask if you can you claim the same objective consideration of these matters without the bias of religion to cloud judgement.

I don't know everything, but I know enough to recognize fact from fiction, the effort to subvert the truth rather than present it objectively. In terms of presenting the truths of these matters without slant, bias and misrepresentations of fact, your comments have pretty well broken every rule in the book!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2016, 09:45 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i do agree with your stance, and we do need to distinguish between the two, and there in lies the problem. that of making the distinction, which is why proper vetting needs to happen. to allow us to make that distinction. and that is why we need to suspend taking in anymore refugees from the middle east until such time as we can properly vet these people to make sure we are not letting in a terrorist that would create problems in this country, as opposed to a refugee who wants a better life away from wars and persecution.
I hear bleeding hearts parrot this "proper vetting" nonsense all the time.

Tell me, how do you vet someone from a third world sand pit?

It's not like they have social security numbers.

And why us it necessary to bring them here in order to help them when we are perfectly capable of providing aid to them in their own countries?

Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Carter deported Iranian students and others that were here on visas that expired in retaliation for holding embassy employees hostage, this is nothing to compare to that situation. We have never suspended immigration based on religion, immigration should never be halted based on fear. Trump never addressed what would be the next step after halting Muslim integration, what changes?

All his comments are damaging us overseas, they see him as one of the primary candidates and it hurts our relations with other countries not to mention the Muslims that are already US citizens.
Thank you! Just the mere possibility that Americans are so seriously considering Trump as POTUS hurts our relations with other countries -- pretty much without exception. Additionally, it isn't just what "next step" that Trump has no clue about, it is the aggravation of the problem for our allies when we essentially establish policy that makes this their problem rather than our mutual problem. In light of our involvement in the Middle East for many decades now, this is like poking the hornets nest in your neighbors yard and then wishing your neighbors well as they deal with THEIR problem.

As much as we are all frustrated with our POTUS, Congress, our elected officials, just about everyday after reading the comments in these threads, I thank goodness it is not the ignorance and mob mentality of too many Americans that rules our domestic and foreign policy, though I suppose Trump may change that if America is really that far gone...

Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 AM

57,271 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Oh for the love of propaganda!

Are you referring to Netanyahu's end-around address to Congress without White House invitation, or are you perhaps referring to Netanyahu's most recent snub of Obama?

And this time last year, Netanyahu traveled to Washington to bash the U.S.-led negotiations with Iran over its nuclear program in front of Congress, a visit the White House hadn’t approved.

Following Monday’s report, some in the Israeli media were’t so forgiving either.

Netanyahu’s cancelation is unprecedented, writes Raphael Ahren at The Times of Israel. “There is no public record of an Israeli prime minister ever previously rejecting an invite to meet a president at the White House,” he says.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu Cancels White House Visit - The Atlantic

You can spin a story like nobody's business! Ugg!

I find the statement by the Israeli ambassador amusing to say the least, they don't want to interfere in US politics, since when.

Quote:
“It’s a tumultuous primary season in the United States ... we don’t want to inject ourselves into that tumultuous process.”

Old 04-14-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I hear bleeding hearts parrot this "proper vetting" nonsense all the time.

Tell me, how do you vet someone from a third world sand pit?

It's not like they have social security numbers.

And why us it necessary to bring them here in order to help them when we are perfectly capable of providing aid to them in their own countries?
Also good questions, and there is a lot of information about the vetting process available for those really interested...

https://www.uscis.gov/refugeescreening

I think if every American most fearful about terrorists among refugees were to attempt the process themselves, we'd have a lot less fearful Americans, but of course we can't be 100 percent safe from just about any concern for violence or even terrorism. What we can and should do is whatever appropriate to keep the violence from escalating and spreading further, and to some extent this includes accepting some of the burden to accept refugees trying to escape the very real fear for their lives.

Also..., it isn't as if anyone can walk out of the "sand pit" and simply end up in America!

You can't demonstrate who you are, where you have been, with work visas, passport, family history, along with all the rest that the vetting agencies require to approve a very select few who apply, then you don't get to leave the "sand pit."

Old 04-14-2016, 12:08 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Also good questions, and there is a lot of information about the vetting process available for those really interested...

https://www.uscis.gov/refugeescreening

I think if every American most fearful about terrorists among refugees were to attempt the process themselves, we'd have a lot less fearful Americans, but of course we can't be 100 percent safe from just about any concern for violence or even terrorism. What we can and should do is whatever appropriate to keep the violence from escalating and spreading further, and to some extent this includes accepting some of the burden to accept refugees trying to escape the very real fear for their lives.

Also..., it isn't as if anyone can walk out of the "sand pit" and simply end up in America!

You can't demonstrate who you are, where you have been, with work visas, passport, family history, along with all the rest that the vetting agencies require to approve a very select few who apply, then you don't get to leave the "sand pit."

Giving the vetting process the benefit of the doubt, the question still remains:

Why is it necessary to bring them here in order to help them?

I realize this is sort of a philosophical question but I never hear anyone give an adequate answer to this.

Why does it always seem to be our responsibility to play orphanage when we are perfectly capable of providing aid to them in their own countries?

What is the point of bringing them here and sprinkling them throughout the country when we know from looking at what has happened in Eroupe that there are major issues with cultural assimilation?

And knowing this, what are the motives/agenda of those who advocate this?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:09 PM

7,680 posts, read 5,527,864 times
Quote:
Actually there is another vetting tool - retinal scans. All the recent Syrian refugees to Canada had their retinas scanned as part of the vetting process.

This is an article from last November about how the United Nations uses retinal scans:

U.N. Turns to Eye-Scanning Technology to Aid Syrian Refugees - NBC News

With respect to security:

Quote:
The deployment of the technology began after the UNHCR saw how the technology was already being used in banks, ATMs and airports across the Middle East. Once a bank or government agency went through the initial vetting of a person's documentation, his or her iris was scanned using non-invasive technology that is more precise than fingerprint readers. ATMs and airports then used the database to verify identities, without the need for passports or bank cards to slow down the line.
Quote:
In addition to integrating migrants and refugees into the normal banking system and reaching the more than 80 percent of refugees that live outside of camps, iris scanning has helped the U.N. deal with challenges like fraud, cybersecurity, privacy and family services, Harper said.

For instance, the iris scans can follow migrants from one camp to another — especially important for the more than 50 percent of refugees that are children and cannot be accurately fingerprinted. The scans also prevent members of extremist groups from misrepresenting themselves, and prevent the cards containing aid money from being stolen and resold.

Old 04-14-2016, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Giving the vetting process the benefit of the doubt, the question still remains:

Why is it necessary to bring them here in order to help them?

I realize this is sort of a philosophical question but I never hear anyone give an adequate answer to this.

Why does it always seem to be our responsibility to play orphanage when we are perfectly capable of providing aid to them in their own countries?

What is the point of bringing them here and sprinkling them throughout the country when we know from looking at what has happened in Eroupe that there are major issues with cultural assimilation?

And knowing this, what are the motives/agenda of those who advocate this?
You might do yourself the favor of learning the circumstances of these refugees who are escaping the violence that is considered a threat to their lives. Or..., what might you possibly have in mind in the way of "aid" where they are when the "aid" the seek is escape?

You might also ask why all these countries both in the Middle East and Europe are burdened with the crush of refugees if the problem could be so easily solved by simply shipping aid their way. I can think of a few quick immediate reasons why that isn't viable or practical, but I won't bother unless you really still don't understand or think you have a better solution...

If you have a better solution, by all means out with it, because none of these countries taking in refugees is doing so without a fair bit of unwanted stress and strain! The world really needs that solution, so out with it, please, ASAP!

For example, you have refugees escaping Syria that is in a state of civil war, violence everywhere, for the most part a war zone with no real distribution systems, law and order, nothing to really depend on...

Where, how, to whom are we to ship aid to those trying to flee that country? Who will be held accountable? How long will that aid last? How much will get where it needs to go? How does that protect from shelling and murder and rape? Etc., hmmm?

Old 04-14-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
PS: Too much is made of this assimilation issue as well...

Consider how much push-back has gone on in this country over this same issue since the beginning of America, with the blacks, the Japanese, the Chinese, the Italians...

Even still in this country we have significant problems with discrimination and bigotry that separate us, well before you want to even think about the small percentage of Muslims now in focus.

I'm not sure assimilation is even necessarily the goal, necessary or even for the better, because who doesn't like ethnic diversity? Too bad, I say, that we might lose our cultural heritage or ability to be different, act differently, speak differently, cook differently...

All I think we need strive toward is peaceful co-existence, as well exemplified by all the immigrants, including nearly 3 million Muslims in America. Peaceful co-existence despite all our differences while putting down the violence, whether it come from terrorists, bigots, criminals or religious extremists of any sort.

Essentially I think it is the fight against ignorance that must be won above all else, and unfortunately the danger of ignorance surrounds us all no matter where we are...

Old 04-14-2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnirene View Post
Actually there is another vetting tool - retinal scans. All the recent Syrian refugees to Canada had their retinas scanned as part of the vetting process.

This is an article from last November about how the United Nations uses retinal scans:

U.N. Turns to Eye-Scanning Technology to Aid Syrian Refugees - NBC News

With respect to security:
Another good one to add to my "Best of the best" thread, thanks!

Or I guess not since that thread got closed for reasons I really can't guess...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies