Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 01:36 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I don't understand your comment. How did I demonstrate a lack of care?
MOST people CAN'T afford to live anywhere near those overpriced cities and; more and more of us are moving AWAY to where housing is affordable. 4 thousand a month for a 1 bedroom apartment ain't worth living in SF, NYC, DC and so on. Sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2016, 01:39 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post
Eminent Domain: Being Abused? - CBS News

Basically the government "buys" property from black people. They raise taxes and then force black people off of their property. Then what they do is sell it to them, so either people stay and get taxed off their property and get taxed out. Or they take whatever "payment" from the government. They then redevelop and set a market price for triple the government "payoff". The governments who do this are DOMINATED by Liberal leadership.
In the example that you posted (from 13 years ago), the property in question was owned by an elderly white couple.

And here's the follow-up:

The Institute for Justice took on the City on behalf of the Saleets and their neighbors, filing suit on May 19, 2003 in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas. IJ also joined with grassroots activists in Lakewood to fight these takings through two ballot initiatives; in November 2003, Lakewood voters rejected the development plan that would have taken the West End neighborhood and in March 2004, the voters rescinded the blight designation, which would have allowed the City to take the homes.

IJ’s victory on behalf of the Lakewood residents was a victory for property rights as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Lakewood, OH, Eminent Domain - Institute for Justice

Old 04-13-2016, 01:40 PM

1,735 posts, read 1,770,044 times
I think if you call yourself a liberal or progressive in the political sense and be pro-gentrification, you might have to think long and hard about where you truly lie in the political axis. This is why I remain rather ambivalent about gentrification and have no real alliance to either ideals.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Los Angeles isn't segregated.
Really?

"White people live mostly on the coast around Santa Monica and Brentwood, and the north side of the city beginning with Hollywood Hills. The map below shows the racial lines of Los Angeles. The red dots represent white people, blue represents Black, orange represents Hispanic, green represents Asian, and yellow is other, according to maps of 2010 Census data by Eric Fischer."

Top 10 Most Segregated Cities in the US - Atlanta Black Star

Old 04-13-2016, 01:43 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
In the example that you posted (from 13 years ago), the property in question was owned by an elderly white couple.

And here's the follow-up:

The Institute for Justice took on the City on behalf of the Saleets and their neighbors, filing suit on May 19, 2003 in the Cuyahoga County Court of Common Pleas. IJ also joined with grassroots activists in Lakewood to fight these takings through two ballot initiatives; in November 2003, Lakewood voters rejected the development plan that would have taken the West End neighborhood and in March 2004, the voters rescinded the blight designation, which would have allowed the City to take the homes.

IJ’s victory on behalf of the Lakewood residents was a victory for property rights as guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution.

Lakewood, OH, Eminent Domain - Institute for Justice

So you deny it happens to black people and other minorities?

Old 04-13-2016, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by e30is View Post
I think if you call yourself a liberal or progressive in the political sense and be pro-gentrification, you might have to think long and hard about where you truly lie in the political axis. This is why I remain rather ambivalent about gentrification and have no real alliance to either ideals.
There is some confusion about what gentrification is. It rarely has anything to do with eminent domain, as one poster believed. Gentrification is the process of renewal and rebuilding that accompanies the influx of middle-class or affluent people into deteriorating areas that often displaces poorer residents.

I am not in favor of kicking minorities out of their neighborhoods. I just can't afford to live in middle-class or affluent neighborhoods. Sadly, the more white people that are forced to move to less expensive neighborhoods because of economics, the higher the prices go because of demand.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:53 PM

Quote:
So you deny it happens to black people and other minorities?
I don't know of any example of properties in minority neighborhoods being taken over by eminent domain.

I have seen prices go up in minority neighborhoods, and thus property taxes, which sadly has the effect of causing minorities to move.

But these prices go up because of the demand for cheaper inner-city housing. Not because of eminent domain.

Old 04-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
MOST people CAN'T afford to live anywhere near those overpriced cities and; more and more of us are moving AWAY to where housing is affordable. 4 thousand a month for a 1 bedroom apartment ain't worth living in SF, NYC, DC and so on. Sorry.
I am moving into an inner city neighborhood in Milwaukee because it's the only neighborhood I can afford. The houses are much much cheaper than the suburbs.

Old 04-13-2016, 02:04 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,589,681 times
Quote:
I don't know of any example of properties in minority neighborhoods being taken over by eminent domain.

I have seen prices go up in minority neighborhoods, and thus property taxes, which sadly has the effect of causing minorities to move.

But these prices go up because of the demand for cheaper inner-city housing. Not because of eminent domain.

Then you need to read about New York, San Francisco, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, and Seattle if you don't think eminent domain hasn't negatively impacted minorities. You go and read about that, and tell me it doesn't happen to minorities. It feels like you don't even live in the real world. I've lived in all of the above cities. (except Chicago)

You can't be Liberal and live in those cities and NOT support gentrification

Old 04-13-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Then you need to read about New York, San Francisco, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, and Seattle if you don't think eminent domain hasn't negatively impacted minorities. You go and read about that, and tell me it doesn't happen to minorities. It feels like you don't even live in the real world. I've lived in all of the above cities. (except Chicago)

You can't be Liberal and live in those cities and NOT support gentrification
You're the one making the assertion. Please provide sources. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies