Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2016, 07:21 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Except that the cake and the effort required to make it IS part of the event. Isn't it? There is no need to redefine "participation"... it's as plain as day to any rational person. The real redefinition here comes from the Left (as is always the case)... they want to redefine "participation" to mean something beyond providing labor and materials for an event. They now want to claim that is 'insufficient' to satisfy the rigorous definition of 'participation'... as though there is some known measurement that defines 'sufficient'. There isn't... except for the one they fabricate minute by minute to satisfy their agenda.
The cake and the effort required to make it IS NOT any different than the chicken and the effort required to make it. They are both just food items.

The baker is not "participating" in the wedding itself. The baker is preparing food that will be served at the wedding. Just like KFC.

It's not the LEFT that is redefining "participation". It's the conservatives who want to enforce their brand of morality on everyone else, who are trying to broaden the definition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2016, 07:32 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,700,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The cake and the effort required to make it IS NOT any different than the chicken and the effort required to make it. They are both just food items.

The baker is not "participating" in the wedding itself. The baker is preparing food that will be served at the wedding. Just like KFC.

It's not the LEFT that is redefining "participation". It's the conservatives who want to enforce their brand of morality on everyone else, who are trying to broaden the definition.
No, participation is not being redefined. The left just doesn't grasp the concept, or doesn't want to.

Synonyms are:
aid
assistance
attendance
cooperation
help
presence
sharing
support
concurrence
encouragement
joining in
taking part

The noun form is "partnership'.

Thank Dictionary.com

Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
No, participation is not being redefined. The left just doesn't grasp the concept, or doesn't want to.

Synonyms are:
aid
assistance
attendance
cooperation
help
presence
sharing
support
concurrence
encouragement
joining in
taking part

The noun form is "partnership'.

Thank Dictionary.com
So the USPS is participating when they deliver invitations.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:49 AM

50,831 posts, read 24,347,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post

Common sense -- it's a wonderful thing.

But then liberals typically support importing huge numbers of impoverished people from the Third World into this country -- even illegal aliens -- and so it is clear that their goal is not to give everyone a fair shot.

Why should I believe in it?

Just because it is a "system" that happens to operate right now?

We have a legal "system" in which it is perfectly legal for politicians to be bought by special interests.

Just ask Bernie.

No, what I believe in is common sense and the Constitution.

The courts generally follow neither.

Oh, well, poor you.

It seems to me that you're the one who is whining.

Geez...how naive is it for someone to think that their opinion is "common sense"?

The courts work within the Constitutional guidelines. It doesn't matter if you like it or not.

Very few "liberals" that I know want any kind of "open" immigration. All those whom I know think we ought to go back to the very strict guidelines based on a quota system.

Old 04-25-2016, 07:53 AM

1,951 posts, read 1,636,915 times
Quote:
After all that mumbo jumbo, I invite you to prove that God doesn't exist -- and that He didn't give the world a past when He created it.
Did you confuse me for an atheist? I'm not. Talk about moving the goalpost, strawman, and switching the burden of proof all in one sentence.

God exists. Now prove your claim that He fabricated a past when he created everything. Stop looking to others for handouts, you need to prove it.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:18 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeLoser View Post
Well, spin it however you like to make it easier to swallow...that's a whole lot of mumbo-jumbo rhetoric.
I described my experience with liberals and the overall mind-set without dressing it up. You may have noticed I try my hardest to nutshell issues and my opinions without any framing.
I provided a fairly well known and/or common definition of what it is to be liberal. That you (or anyone) would call that "spinning" is further testament just how unable people can be to recognize fact when it conflicts with their belief and/or agenda.

So funny, since it is your comments that are rife with rhetoric. Perhaps you need the definition of that word as well; "language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content."

This is the very reason I provide links, information and definitions as commonly accepted! To avoid that game of rhetoric born from bias and misinformation.

Last edited by LearnMe; 04-25-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 04-25-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Obviously.

If it has a penis, it uses the men's room.

If it has a vagina, it uses the ladies room.
Unless it really needs to go bad, then whichever room is available will do...

Old 04-25-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
That's fine.

But then liberals typically support importing huge numbers of impoverished people from the Third World into this country -- even illegal aliens -- and so it is clear that their goal is not to give everyone a fair shot.

If they wanted to do that, they wouldn't import cheap labor into this country to undercut American wages and take away American jobs.

There is an intelligent way to be liberal in the sense you promote.

Unfortunately, liberals do not follow that way.
First step toward intelligent policy is intelligent understanding of the matter at hand.

Very typically, legal and/or illegal aliens come to American to work, make money. Those who hire them, typically do so to take advantage of cheap ready labor, and those doing the hiring are business owners. Business owners tend to be conservatives, not liberals. So if you think the problem or issues of today are born of liberal policy, please look again, because business tends to have the ultimate say when it comes to the crux of these issues and the business owners benefit most at the expense of others, perhaps consumers as well.

If what I explain here is not obvious as you notice who has been hired to cook your food and wash your dishes at your favorite restaurant or who is out there picking those fruits and vegetables that you buy at your local grocery store, take my word, this is the truth. I owned an employment agency, and I can tell you that those doing the hiring are the financial beneficiaries of immigrant labor, and all too often they don't care whether the person doing the labor is legal or not, believe me when I tell you this. Blaming the problem or burden on liberals is just more politically biased rhetoric that of course need not be founded on anything related to the actual truth of these matters. Wrong nevertheless...

Old 04-25-2016, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
That's an outright falsehood. It's the Democrat mantra and is getting tiresome.
All mantras aside, I don't recall Democrats going on about the sanctity of life while at the same time utterly dismissing the woman's right to choose, and then I don't recall much in the way of leadership on the part of Republicans when it comes time to address the children born into poverty in this country. It truly is the hypocrisy in these regards that gets awfully tiresome.

Old 04-25-2016, 11:41 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,732,114 times
Try to understand liberalism at your own risk.......serious brain damage may result.

CN.......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies