Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 07:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post

And that cough. I am actually concerned about that. That sounds like she has a serious problem there.
Statins are known to cause dry coughing in some people, and so many people her age (including me) are taking a statin that it's likely she is too. So no, a chronic cough is not necessarily serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:46 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,661,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Since the role of politician is essentially that of a parasite, what accomplishments could they possibly trumpet?
That they robbed Peter to pay for yours and Paul's bennefits?
My whole point.

We also need to break away from the "lesser of two evils" mindset.
Vote with your conscience. It will be painful at first, for sure, but eventually the status quo will change.
It has to start somewhere/sometime.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Statins are known to cause dry coughing in some people, and so many people her age (including me) are taking a statin that it's likely she is too. So no, a chronic cough is not necessarily serious.
Well that's good to know. I would hate to find out she had a serious issue. Running for POTUS takes enough out of one as it is.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:53 AM

28,897 posts, read 30,274,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Hillary threw obama under the bus with her claim to fix all these problems obama claims are fixed as he ticks off the legacy accomplishment lists. the economy is great, UE rate lowest in years, green energy jobs all over the place, every family saving 2,500$$ from obamacare. Well, there is always the repub and bill clinton war on women. First order would be to punish rutgers for dismissing condi rice from speaking at a commencement.

Hillary picked up the wrong speech and used the one she wrote when immersed deep in a prescription med induced state of euphoria from two tabs of Ambien and a glass of nyquil.
yeah, and remember when she claimed to be sick, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she claimed to have heart problems, way back? At the time I thought, "Well, there goes her wanton to be President". Apparently it wasn't heart problems.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:55 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
yeah, and remember when she claimed to be sick, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think she claimed to have heart problems, way back? At the time I thought, "Well, there goes her wanton to be President". Apparently it wasn't heart problems.
heart problems, source please?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:01 AM

45,227 posts, read 26,450,499 times
No one will ever know what's really wrong with Hillary because like most pols she is a habitual liar and us little folk don't get to question her.
If only their ilk could be sued for fraud

Old 04-27-2016, 08:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
FWIW, here's a letter from her doctor - Clinton Releases Medical Records Showing She's 'Fit To Serve As President'

I'm her age, and I certainly don't have the stamina to either run for president or serve. But then, I didn't have that stamina - or drive - when I was forty either!

She seems hoarse at times, and looks tired at times, but that's not unusual for people in high-pressure campaigns.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 AM

633 posts, read 640,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I was just listening to one of the democratic candidate's victory speech and she made it sound like everything in this country is god awful. This is bad, that is bad, people don't have a fair chance, rich getting richer, poor getting poorer, women not being treated as fair as men in the workplace, people's income down, people's hopes for the future down, people's trust in national security down, etc etc etc.

Then she kept saying that if she and her side are elected, all these things will be addressed and corrected.

Okay, I am a "No Party Affiliation" voter as I cannot stand either party and I think we would be better off if people had to vote for candidates without party ID's, just for the person themselves.

I do not claim to be the brightest bulb in the box, BUT, if she is saying everything stinks now and she and her party will fix it if elected..........well, ummmm......haven't they been the one's in charge the last 7.5 years, at least the main man? And they had both the House & Senate for years, plus a super majority for a period with the (I's) that go with them.

So what am I missing with what she is saying? Is she actually really saying that Obama and the people he put in place did a horrible job or did she forget what party she is in?

This is crazy. How can you possible say to someone "The democrats screwed everything up, so elect democrats and we will fix it". That does not make sense, unless she is trying to stick a knife in Obama's back. I know they can't stand each other, but WOW!
There are a lot of things that Democrats would rather fix about the economy/taxation/social situation in the country that they've been quite vocal about for a long time.

But to your claims, you have to understand how congress works. All legislation and budgeting has to go through congress before being signed by the President. The President is actually VERY limited in what he/she can do if congress decides they do not want to cooperate. How "in control" of congress have democrats been? Well, let's look.

Democrats won the house and the presidency in 2008. These people took office in January of 2009. The senate however was still in the hands of republicans. even with independents, Democrats didn't have 60 votes. Keep in mind that while the house requires a simple majority, the senate requires a 60 vote margin (out of 100) to prevent a filibuster by the opposing party. this is a procedural move that will stop legislation stone dead. It used to be that to filibuster a senator would have to literally speak on the floor of the senate for as long as they wanted to stop a bill- current rules simplify this so it's no longer necessary. One just needs to express the desire to filibuster a bill and there it is.

Why didn't the democrats have 60 votes? Two reasons:

1.)Senator Arlen Specter was a republican Senator from Pennsylvania, but a moderate one. He had increasingly been fending off Primary challenges and it appeared that he would be losing the republican primary to (current senator) Pat Toomey. Specter made a deal with the democrats to switch parties, going from R to D in April of 2009.

Even with that, Democrats were still short the 60 vote margin. Why is this?

2.) Norm Coleman and Al Franken had an incredibly close election in Minnesota. This went to recount, then to the courts over a period of several months. Franken was certified the winner on June 30th, 2009.by a margin of a few hundred votes.

THAT gave democrats control of the house and a supermajority in the Senate as of July 2009. (meaning republicans could not block legislation with a filibuster). Unfortunately for Democrats, Ted Kennedy dies in August, leaving them one vote short in the senate. Paul Kirk was appointed interim Senator in September 2009, and a special election was set to take place for a permanent replacement in January. Tons of money poured into that race on both sides, with Republican Senator scott brown defeating Democratic candidate Martha Coakley. Democrats lost their supermajority in January 2010 when Brown was seated.

Total that up, Democrats had "control" of the senate for a whopping 5 months before republicans gained the ability to simply block everything coming out of the democratic controlled house. Making things worse, democrats took a serious beating in the 2010 races and lost the house as of January 2011. Since the budget has to originate in the house, Republicans have controlled the federal budget process since 2011, meaning a lot of democratic priorities were simply dead in the water, even with the presidency.

Generally, democrats point to republican obstructionism as the thing that has prevented them from obtaining their policy goals (improving infrastructure, education, tax policy overhauls, etc) with the exception of Obamacare, which is all they had time to push through the house and senate during the period where they controlled both.

Clear?

Old 04-27-2016, 08:16 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Your post of course assumes the passing bills,laws and regs. is in itself an accomplishment.
That's entirely your assumption.

What I posted was a record of activity. One party has been obstructing action while continuing to draw their fat paychecks as if they're carrying out their duties when all they really do is gridlock the federal system for hyperpartisan reasons. Blocking appointments of federal judges, etc.

Quote:
There is enough evidence to prove the contrary.
Feel free to back that up, then.

Quote:
not a "pub" but I always get a chuckle when one tribe of monkeys flings poo at the other as a show of superiority.
I chuckle at those who pretend to be nonpartisan while obviously favoring one side.

Old 04-27-2016, 11:51 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,733,455 times
tell the sheep what they want to hear to get elected, and do the exact opposite when elected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies