Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the "perfect" level of atmospheric CO2?
500 ppm 5 18.52%
400 ppm 1 3.70%
300 ppm 5 18.52%
200 ppm 3 11.11%
0 ppm 2 7.41%
we need much higher levels of CO2 to help plant life 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 04:41 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times

Advertisements

Do you realize that you're ranting like a complete lunatic?

Quote:
5. If one is going to undertake a task of ANYTHING, one must have clear goals. So........... if the goal of AGW is to reduce CO2, one should have a very clear goal as to what that "optimal CO2 level" is. If not:
a. how far do you go to reduce CO2?
b. when do you know that your objectives have been achieved?
c. when do you stop?
d. what happens if you go too far?

Ideally CO2 levels would return to where they had been since before the dawn of modern humans until a couple hundred years ago - around 250 ppm. Those are the conditions we evolved under and are best suited to. But of course that isn't possible. All we can do at this point is try to limit the future increase. We can't know how much of an effort towards that end will ultimately be justified. So we have to weigh the costs and be prudent about it. But there is nothing conservative in advocating for continued radical change in the composition of the atmosphere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 05:14 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,072,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Somebody swallowed the garbage the AGW soothsayers have been promoting.
I live in the country where this is happening, you complete genius. It's on the news here, it's in the public consciousness, and the people who live there say they've never experienced anything like it. We see the evidence of it quite plainly. I know it's hard when you live in a country full of stupid, but what can I do? Believe what you want because it is happening.

Old 04-30-2016, 07:08 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
No doubt that the US has many anti science folks, but the tide is turning...

A latest report from the Yale Program on Climate Communication has provided fresh data on beliefs and attitudes of Americans about climate change, while stressing mainly the influence of political opinions.
The poll asked ‘Do you think that global warming is happening?’ Among the respondents, 73% said yes, 11% came up with a no, and 15% said they aren’t sure.
The report suggested that as per huge majorities of Democrats, with 95% liberal and 80% moderate/conservative, it is happening, as do three in four Independents and most of the liberal/moderate Republicans. Contrary to this, there were just 47% of conservative Republicans who think that global warming is happening.

New poll shows shift in climate change perspectives | PerfScience

Old 04-30-2016, 07:14 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post

A latest report from the Yale Program on Climate Communication has provided fresh data on beliefs and attitudes of Americans about climate change, while stressing mainly the influence of political opinions.
The poll asked ‘Do you think that global warming is happening?’ Among the respondents, 73% said yes, 11% came up with a no, and 15% said they aren’t sure.
The report suggested that as per huge majorities of Democrats, with 95% liberal and 80% moderate/conservative, it is happening, as do three in four Independents and most of the liberal/moderate Republicans. Contrary to this, there were just 47% of conservative Republicans who think that global warming is happening.

You like to discredit others sources.

Yale: bastion of independent thought.

Next.

Sadly you do make some decent points at times. If it weren't for the smugness, more might listen to you. Especially if you were credentialed.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
You like to discredit others sources.

Yale: bastion of independent thought.

Next.

Sadly you do make some decent points at times. If it weren't for the smugness, more might listen to you. Especially if you were credentialed.
Biased blogs, and people pretending to be scientists are not valid sources....It would help a lot if everyone would check sources before posting....

Old 04-30-2016, 08:24 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,772,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
AGW cult members are CERTAIN THERE IS A PROBLEM, yet that has not been established.
"not been established"? Really? Who do you think decides whether AGW is a reality? It is out of the hands of scientists at this point; they have made their case to the decision makers and those have decided the case is strong enough to consider it to be a bonafide threat. The decision makers are the various governments nationally and globally. Official state policy for my state (Hawaii) is that AGW is a reality and government agencies are to act accordingly. I believe it is official policy in California also. The recent conference in Paris on AGW was attended by 183 countries, and each of those countries have also decided that AGW is a global problem and must be addressed.

So you can complain all you want but the reality is the ship has already sailed. AGW is established at this point as a matter of public policy.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:27 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Biased blogs, and people pretending to be scientists are not valid sources....It would help a lot if everyone would check sources before posting....
And it would help if people knew dialogue vs smugness.

Actually, you tried to discredit a nasa and an noaa link I posted a month back because it was in contradiction to your contention. Additionally, you then tried to 'educate' me on feedbacks, etc... Not knowing my background. I find it omicsl. I understand why others take offense and dig in.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:42 PM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:

Anti-science????

I am 100% pro-science

1. Science demands that the null hypothesis is rejected- AGW is the opposite of this

2. Science welcomes questioning- AGW rejects it

3. There is no "settled science"- AGW rejects this to quell futher investigation

4. Actual science does not require manipulation of data- AGW routinely alters data

5. Actual science looks at long term data (the fossil record- AGW rejects it

6. Actual science shows that temp increases follow temp increases- AGW rejects it.

7. Earths temps have not increased in 20 years- AGW rejects it.

8. Marked reduction in man-made CO2 during the depresson resulted in INCREASES TEMPS- AGW ingnores it.

9. The earth has THRIVED with CO2 levels several fold current levels- AGW refuses to accept it.

10. Why were temps 10 degrees higher during the Roman Empire? AGW ignores it.

11. Why did temps not fall during the Great Recession- AGW ingnores it.

AGW is the biggest scam perpetrated on mankind. It requires a clever ********* (who economically benefits) and usefull idiots (as per usual). The useful idiots have made the faudsters billions.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:58 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
11. Why did temps not fall during the Great Recession.
That you would expect them to have fallen during that period, when there was at best a minor reduction in the rate of increase of CO2 levels in the atmosphere, reveals that you have minimal understanding of the issue. How could anyone, let alone a person with some background in science, spend as much time reading about this as you do and understand so little? You are a wonder.

Old 04-30-2016, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
And it would help if people knew dialogue vs smugness.

Actually, you tried to discredit a nasa and an noaa link I posted a month back because it was in contradiction to your contention. Additionally, you then tried to 'educate' me on feedbacks, etc... Not knowing my background. I find it omicsl. I understand why others take offense and dig in.
I did no such thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur
Increasing water vapor in the atmosphere is a feed back affect of a warming world mainly caused by greenhouse gasses...Did you not read the article? The key player is not water vapor, but CO2...
It was you who was not able to understand the relationship between CO2 and water vapor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies