Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2016, 10:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Granted there is a lot wrong in this 300million+ country and there is a lot good....but Trump is coming to make it a better country, that's what he keeps telling everyone...he's the "fix it" guy. No plans laid out, but build a WALL is his mantra.
Congress already approved the wall and started building one.. a very long time ago..

Why is it so many of you guys on the left, dont ever seem to know ANYTHING..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2016, 10:31 PM

7,636 posts, read 8,709,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Also, America remains the wealthiest nation.
How does that manifest itself? through the top 0.1% maybe? How is the life of 99% of Americans, as compared to 99% of, say, Sweden, or France...?

High cancer rates, large obesity population, full of math illiterates.

So much about America being "the wealthiest nation". The picture of America today is a mixture of billionaires and poor people shopping in Walmart or fighting with police, yet the country is obsessed with the bathroom problem for transgenders.

It is a joke.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:33 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Congress already approved the wall and started building one.. a very long time ago..

Why is it so many of you guys on the left, dont ever seem to know ANYTHING..
Are you referring to the fence that was proposed while Bush was in office?

If so, yet it was approved. They were going to build 700 miles of it. I don't even think they finished half of it. Turns out, building stuff along the border always ends up being more complicated than they plan for. But don't worry, plenty of families still had to move after the government seized their property with eminent domain to start that project.

Also, Trump wants the wall to be concrete and somewhere between 30 and 90 feet tall (he, to my knowledge, never got more specific than that). He's given a price range somewhere between $4 and $12 billion, neither of which come even remotely close to what the actual cost will be.

If there was another wall that was approved by congress farther in the past than that, it's worth noting that... there isn't a wall. Regardless of congress' approval, obviously the wall was never built, which is a more important detail than congress saying it was allowed.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:40 PM

2,643 posts, read 2,443,509 times
A country's politicians are a reflection of its electorate

If you think America is a joke...then you can only infer that the people are a joke

Old 05-17-2016, 10:44 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
Are you referring to the fence that was proposed while Bush was in office?

If so, yet it was approved. They were going to build 700 miles of it. I don't even think they finished half of it. Turns out, building stuff along the border always ends up being more complicated than they plan for. But don't worry, plenty of families still had to move after the government seized their property with eminent domain to start that project.

Also, Trump wants the wall to be concrete and somewhere between 30 and 90 feet tall (he, to my knowledge, never got more specific than that). He's given a price range somewhere between $4 and $12 billion, neither of which come even remotely close to what the actual cost will be.

If there was another wall that was approved by congress farther in the past than that, it's worth noting that... there isn't a wall. Regardless of congress' approval, obviously the wall was never built, which is a more important detail than congress saying it was allowed.
The estimates to build the wall are about $10 billion.

We spend over $100 billion alone just dealing with illegals.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:50 PM

50,821 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Our economy is a failure. We borrow money to consume products manufactured abroad. Almost all the wealth in the United States was created decades ago when we had a real economy.

Our criminal justice system is a failure. It's a big money making scheme, many players involved.

Our education system is a failure. It's a disguised form a daycare for kids age 5-30.

Do I even need to discuss our failed political system? Of course a system is going to fail when we let people on welfare have the same vote as people who produce for society.
I'm curious. Do you believe in American exceptionalism?

Old 05-17-2016, 10:51 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaldDuth View Post
Our economy is a failure. We borrow money to consume products manufactured abroad. Almost all the wealth in the United States was created decades ago when we had a real economy.
Our criminal justice system is a failure. It's a big money making scheme, many players involved.
Our education system is a failure. It's a disguised form a daycare for kids age 5-30.
Do I even need to discuss our failed political system? Of course a system is going to fail when we let people on welfare have the same vote as people who produce for society.
Get rid of "federal reserve". Govt can print/coin money and pay no interest.
Bring manufacturing back to America.
Fix the criminal injustice system. End drugs wars. Start locking up burglars, rapists, gang bangers. Deport the 350 thousand illegals in prisons.

Fix education. Focus on Reading, writing, history, grammar, economics, basic math(don't require calculus), and some science. Also more business/banking classes in high school teaching kids about checking accounts, debt, credit, etc. Obviously some computer and technology classes.

Get rid of home economics and PE, art, drivers ed.

Don't even get me started on college.

People on welfare should not vote. All politicians except a few need to be booted. Stop immigration for 20 years.

Feds should only be in charge of defense and regulation and a few other things. States should have more power. Things get done better than on a large scale compared to the ridiculous bureaucracy the fed govt has become. And the waste my God the waste.

No more world policing. No more foreign aid.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:55 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,121,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Granted there is a lot wrong in this 300million+ country and there is a lot good....but Trump is coming to make it a better country, that's what he keeps telling everyone...he's the "fix it" guy. No plans laid out, but build a WALL is his mantra.
Illegal immgration is intermingled with many problems we have smart guy.

Money spent
Crime
Clogged jails/prisons
Clogged hospitals and roads
Education
Healthcare
Low morale for Americans

Wake up

Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
You have no idea what you're talking about.. again

I couldnt even read the rest of your nonsense.. I think I actually felt brain cells dying
Apparently you should stop drinking, or seek medical attention.

Here-FACTS for you. I suspect you dont even know what PPP is, or even GDP. So lets try a simple calculation ok?

in 1952 the census estimated we had roughly 41 million families. Median income was about 4K for a household. Thats 36,000/year adjusted for inflation.

2016? A tad under 54,000/year.

Huh. Someone has no idea what they are talking about. Its not me. Do you even know what FRED is?

Do you understand why I used median instead of average? (hint-the average number would make median households look even better off today. Do you know why?)

Old 05-17-2016, 11:26 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,955 times
Quote:
The estimates to build the wall are about $10 billion.

We spend over $100 billion alone just dealing with illegals.
The concrete for the wall would be about $10 billion, assuming we are to build it for a full 2000 miles. The wall itself couldn't just be concrete either, you'd need some sort of steel frame. So that's another $5 billion at least. Not to mention that not all places along the border are necessarily accessible, so roads to get supplies and building equipment to the location will need to be built, which will cost at least $2 billion. This doesn't factor in land the government would have to purchase nor maintenance costs, which a report said that the wall would exceed the initial building costs within 7 years due to maintenance alone.

The wall is too expensive to justify. There are surely more cost effective ways to deal with this than build a wall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies