Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2016, 05:14 AM

16,279 posts, read 10,421,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
There's nothing wrong with that term.
Why does this post not surprise me considering the source? Now go polish your black faced lawn jockey as you refer to AAs as "colored", hispanics as "wetbacks", women as "girls" and Asians as "orientals". I'm sure they won't mind at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2016, 05:42 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,439,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Why does this post not surprise me considering the source? Now go polish your black faced lawn jockey as you refer to AAs as "colored", hispanics as "wetbacks", women as "girls" and Asians as "orientals". I'm sure they won't mind at all.
I still have yet to hear anyone explain how the term "oriental" is offensive.

Maybe you could try -- instead of just spewing accusatory emotional nonsense.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:

That's a fair thing to ask so let me explain, then supply links in hopes that for once we can have a civil conversation without the jabs. I'll do my best as I've been guilty of that in the past obviously.

I had this discussion with a former classmate who, like you, was totally unaware. What I learned as I supplied him with information is this is not the case in some parts of the world but it is most definitely offense to Asian Americans. And since we are discussing Obama's actions which only effect our country that is what I will limit the discussion to.

In a nutshell oriental refers to a thing, not a person. A rug is oriental, a person is not an object. At one time oriental was considered acceptable in this country, but then again so were "retard" and "colored". Times change and we need to change with them. And most importantly we need to respect the feeling of Asian Americans who have made their feelings clear.

I'll let the links explain further:

Common complaints about the term include that it should be reserved for objects, such as rugs, and not people, and that it’s antiquated—akin to using “Negro” to describe an African American. Howard University Law Professor Frank H. Wu made the comparison in a 2009 New York Times piece about the state of New York banning the use of “Oriental” on government forms and documents. Washington State passed a similar ban in 2002.

“It’s associated with a time period when Asians had a subordinate status,” Professor Wu told the Times. He added that people link the term to old stereotypes of Asians and the era when the United States government passed exclusion acts to keep Asian people from entering the country. Given this, “For many Asian Americans, it’s not just this term: It’s about much more…It’s about your legitimacy to be here,” Wu said.

Five Racial Terms to Avoid

It also should be pointed out that several states have passed similar laws years ago for the same reason.

"Oriental" refers to THINGS from the Orient - such as food, rugs, souvenirs, etc...material THINGS. Therefore, when you call a human being "oriental" you are referring to them as an object with no soul or substance. This is why "Oriental" is offensive and LEGALLY a racist term (at least here in the USA).

Asian can be used for people or things, it is not an offensive word at all. Asian refers to anyone or anything that comes from or is related to any country in Asia - from China to India to Vietnam, including the Philippines and Japan, and in some cases that large rural part of Russia.

I am unsure why "Oriental" is widely used in the UK, UK English is actually considered a different dialect of English from American English and Australian English, so words have different meanings there.

https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/questio...0012326AAt6jUQ

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-01-2016 at 07:58 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 AM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:

The only reason it is considered considered offensive today is a Radical Proffesor from the 70s decided he didnt like it. When you look up the history of the word, it just comes from word Orient, which means the East. Oriental refers to people of the east, Those saying it just means things are wrong. If you noticed the links supplied that say the word is offensive, all are recent, just SJWs looking for something else to be offended by.

Like I said if it was really so offensive there would be thousands of Chinese owned restaurants dropping the name. Its not like the N word unless there are restaurants named the N word

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-01-2016 at 10:03 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 09:43 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,137,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Why should congress tell people how to talk? I thought we had freedom of speech? What are they going to ban next?

We will be programmed to say this and say that. The government and the congress are getting nit picky but can't solve any real problems.

They swallow a camel and strain for a gnat.
26 pages and you still don't understand that this has nothing to do with individuals and private businesses using the word? Not surprising.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:03 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Let me answer you, as a person of Chinese ancestry, and someone who this term supposedly refers to.

Oriental is frankly an archaic term. It is more proper and contemporary to use the term Asian, Asian American, or the ethnic or nationality specifically.

Sure, it's not as derogatory or impolite as "C****k, or Chinaman, but it's not really polite either.

If I, and others like me, think it isn't proper, isn't that enough? Instead of complaining about this, why don't you just be courteous and polite about it?

I am also a Chinese American. I do not find the term "Oriental" offensive in the slightest. What I DO find rather offensive is the nerve of the politicians to lower us to the standards of other groups by making a show of banning a word in our name.

Oriental means from the orient. It's not an offensive term in any way. Oriental / Asian people, at least the ones I know and am related to, generally don't bother themselves with such ridiculousness. It's silly, immature, and inconsequential. I am, however, rather irked by the politicians trying to make us look like we are a bunch of whiney crybabies who need a word to be banned. We don't. If the rest of you folks want to get all wrapped up in your PC wars, that's fine, but please leave us out of it.

Last edited by pkbab5; 06-01-2016 at 10:25 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 10:06 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,761,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
As an Asian American, I am and have never been offended by the term "oriental", ch*nk, J*p or g**k.. they are only words... so what?

Yes this.

Old 06-01-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I am also a Chinese American. I do not find the term "Oriental" offensive in the slightest. What I DO find highly offensive is the nerve of the politicians to lower us to the standards of other groups by making a show of banning a word in our name.

Oriental means from the orient. It's not an offensive term in any way. Oriental / Asian people, at least the ones I know and am related to, generally don't bother themselves with such ridiculousness. It's silly, immature, and inconsequential. I am, however, greatly offended by the politicians trying to make us look like we are a bunch of whiney crybabies who need a word to be banned. We don't. If the rest of you folks want to get all wrapped up in your PC wars, that's fine, but please leave us out of it.
I find your post very interesting. While it may not offend you and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you, or the other poster who is not offended by other obviously slanderous terms such as 'ch*nk" then you may not be representative of the majority of Asian Americans. From what I have read so many Asians in American find it offensive that it is now defined this way:

ORIENTAL (noun)
The noun ORIENTAL has 1 sense: 1. a member of an Oriental race; the term is regarded as offensive by Asians (especially by Asian Americans)

Familiarity information: ORIENTAL used as a noun is very rare.

http://www.audioenglish.org/dictionary/oriental.htm

I'm not sure dictionaries are in the business of being overly PC. Seems like enough Asian Americans feel this way that it has merit. That's not overly PC, it's being sensitive to others and their feelings. I could not find a link showing poll results but I remember being told this by my boss in the '80's that oriental is not the correct term to use.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-01-2016 at 10:34 AM..

Old 06-01-2016, 10:29 AM

Quote:
"Asian" is just as vague as "oriental."
It's like saying North American

Can mean any number of peoples and cultures? Are they from India, Pakistan, China, Indonesia or the Philippines? Are they Han, Malay, Negrito, Austronesian, or even Arab or Spanish descent, or a multitude of native tribes or mixes?

Old 06-01-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I find your post very interesting. While it may not offend you and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. If you, or the other poster who is not offended by other obviously slanderous terms such as 'ch*nk" then you may not be representative of the majority of Asian Americans. From what I have read so many Asians in American find it offensive that it is now defined this way:

ORIENTAL (noun)
The noun ORIENTAL has 1 sense: 1. a member of an Oriental race; the term is regarded as offensive by Asians (especially by Asian Americans)

Familiarity information: ORIENTAL used as a noun is very rare.

http://www.audioenglish.org/dictionary/oriental.htm

I'm not sure dictionaries are in the business of being overly PC. Seems like enough Asian Americans feel this way that it has merit. That's not overly PC, it's being sensitive to others and their feelings.
I thought you said Oriental referred to things, then show a definition that refers to it being used to describe people(race)?

"the term is regarded as offensive by Asians (especially by Asian Americans)"
Guess all the Asian Americans that have Oriental in the name of their Restaurants, Grocery stores, Theaters, or other businesses are just out to offend people, huh

Last edited by LS Jaun; 06-01-2016 at 11:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies