Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 06:19 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're in the same boat I am. But, since I sometimes get the "what are you" type questions, means a good amount of people dismiss my white side. If you get it too, then he first thing people see is your Asian features. I identify as Hispanic, even if I'm 80% white. That's what American society sees me as, and I'm quite alright with that
To be fair: "Hispanic" ain't a race as both of us know; it's a PC way of saying mixed race IMHO with some kind of "Spanish" culture thrown in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 06:21 PM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
My hair is also one shade away from black and it's the same texture as Asian hair. My ancestry is so mixed up, I get wild responses from everyone lol. I'm Turkish in Germany, Pakistani in the UK, Mexican in Spain and the US, and part Okinawan Japanese in Japan. Needless to say, so far only the Japanese have gotten it right but I'm not Okinawan I'm Ainu
Doesn't matter, I bet you are very attractive.

Old 05-26-2016, 11:23 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
To be fair: "Hispanic" ain't a race as both of us know; it's a PC way of saying mixed race IMHO with some kind of "Spanish" culture thrown in.
You continue to demonstrate a lack of knowledge with definitions of ethnicity and race. You're just way too hung up on labels by interpreting them way too narrowly, or either to just make disingenuous comments.

The US Census Bureau states that Hispanics and Latinos (which is what we use most often in California) can be of any race, or more than one. It's a cultural identification. People can identify as such, and look like me (Chinese ancestry) - given that there are Peruvians of Chinese or Japanese ancestry, for example, or even Mexicans who are chino.

They can be white, Asian, African/Black, or a mix of those. You're probably influenced by seeing Mexicans, at least in the Southwest, who are mostly of mestizo stock, though there are plenty of ones who appear European, or of Middle Eastern extraction (Carlos Slim, the richest man in Mexico, is of Lebanese ancestry). C'mon, get real.

Old 05-27-2016, 03:13 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You continue to demonstrate a lack of knowledge with definitions of ethnicity and race. You're just way too hung up on labels by interpreting them way too narrowly, or either to just make disingenuous comments.

The US Census Bureau states that Hispanics and Latinos (which is what we use most often in California) can be of any race, or more than one. It's a cultural identification. People can identify as such, and look like me (Chinese ancestry) - given that there are Peruvians of Chinese or Japanese ancestry, for example, or even Mexicans who are chino.

They can be white, Asian, African/Black, or a mix of those. You're probably influenced by seeing Mexicans, at least in the Southwest, who are mostly of mestizo stock, though there are plenty of ones who appear European, or of Middle Eastern extraction (Carlos Slim, the richest man in Mexico, is of Lebanese ancestry). C'mon, get real.

Well, it's a linguistic affiliation and also a very broad cultural affiliation, particularly in the U.S. Yes, you may look like Shakira (Lebanese/Spaniard), Nancy Morejon (African), Ricky Martin (predom. European) etc.

Outside the U.S., the term has less significance. But overall, I agree...

Old 05-27-2016, 04:00 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,438,007 times
There are plenty of terms more offensive than "oriental" -- which basically means "eastern," as opposed to "occidental," which means "western."

I will continue to use those terms until the PC nonsense ends.

Old 05-28-2016, 11:59 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,906,907 times
Quote:

In 1960, while opposing desegregation of New Orleans public schools, Perez spoke provocatively at a rally in the city. His speech is credited with catalyzing a mob assault on the school administration building by some 2,000 white men, who were fought off by police using fire hoses. The mob ran through the city and attacked African Americans on the streets. When the schools were reopened, Perez organized a boycott by white residents. His group made threats to whites who allowed their children to attend desegregated schools. Perez arranged for poor whites to attend a segregated private school without charge, and he helped to establish a new whites-only private school in New Orleans. The Roman Catholic Church supported desegregation, and integrated its parochial schools. The bishop of New Orleans excommunicated Perez for his overt opposition to the church's teachings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander_Perez

Try again please. Perez was a nasty white supremacist during Jim Crow and, under US law in 2016; he'd be tagged as "Hispanic". Period.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:05 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
In 1960, while opposing desegregation of New Orleans public schools, Perez spoke provocatively at a rally in the city. His speech is credited with catalyzing a mob assault on the school administration building by some 2,000 white men, who were fought off by police using fire hoses. The mob ran through the city and attacked African Americans on the streets. When the schools were reopened, Perez organized a boycott by white residents. His group made threats to whites who allowed their children to attend desegregated schools. Perez arranged for poor whites to attend a segregated private school without charge, and he helped to establish a new whites-only private school in New Orleans. The Roman Catholic Church supported desegregation, and integrated its parochial schools. The bishop of New Orleans excommunicated Perez for his overt opposition to the church's teachings.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leander_Perez

Try again please. Perez was a nasty white supremacist during Jim Crow and, under US law in 2016; he'd be tagged as "Hispanic". Period.
That doesn't refute my words at all. I've said that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race or more. And you can identify with more than one race or ethnic group. Puh-leeze use some reading comprehension.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:58 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,632,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
As long as they outlaw occidental as well.

Beat me to it. Exact same thought occurred to me. Personally, I don't see the fuss. I've heard "Oriental" used by Asians to many times to count. Its main use was as a word used to refer to a region of the world, I.e., "the Orient" thus, those hailing from that region were "Oriental". "Occidental", on the other hand, is race specific, used to describe all non Oriental people.

This is a silly thing to quibble about. I've never heard the term "Oriental" used in a manner that could be considered derogatory.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:05 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
That doesn't refute my words at all. I've said that Hispanics or Latinos can be of any race or more. And you can identify with more than one race or ethnic group. Puh-leeze use some reading comprehension.
I thought you had said that, and I didn't understand the point of the rejoinder either.

Old 05-28-2016, 05:11 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I thought you had said that, and I didn't understand the point of the rejoinder either.
Sometimes people have nothing to say but say it anyways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies