Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 04:36 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Enlighten yourself and look it up. I even attached a link. "its not a big deal".
You obviously didn't read your own link. Thanks for proving my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 04:50 PM

31,074 posts, read 22,094,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
You obviously didn't read your own link. Thanks for proving my point.
Your comprehension needs some work then. Lets see how the term means just "things"?

"The Orient means the East"

"The term "Orient" derives from the Latin word oriens meaning "east""

"The adjectival term Oriental has been used by the West to mean cultures, peoples, countries, and goods from the Orient. "Oriental" means generally "eastern"."

Yep, just refers to things

Old 05-23-2016, 05:28 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,177,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
Your comprehension needs some work then. Lets see how the term means just "things"?

"The Orient means the East"

"The term "Orient" derives from the Latin word oriens meaning "east""

"The adjectival term Oriental has been used by the West to mean cultures, peoples, countries, and goods from the Orient. "Oriental" means generally "eastern"."

Yep, just refers to things
Did you continue to read?

It is a traditional designation (especially when capitalized) for anything belonging to the Orient or "East" (for Asia), and especially of its Eastern culture. It indicated the eastern direction in historical astronomy, often abbreviated "Ori".[3] In contemporary American English, Oriental usually refers to things from the parts of East Asia traditionally occupied by East Asians and most Central Asians and Southeast Asians racially categorized as "Mongoloid". This excludes Jews, Indians, Arabs, and most other South or West Asian peoples. Because of historical discrimination against Chinese and Japanese, in some parts of the United States, some people consider the term derogatory.

Which is why my post states, Oriental is proper to describe THINGS, not persons. The legislation deals with references to individuals.

Some of us were brought up with class and respect, such that it takes nothing from us to ensure that we refer to others in the most respectful manner.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:11 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,974,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
A Vietnamese dude told me that his people are of basically "Chinese" family. This guy was from Vietnam.
That is true, China is just north of Vietnam.China ruled Vietnam for a long time.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:15 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,681,123 times
Noting wrong with that, plus that is an outdated, stupid term to use to describe someone. Oriental rug or an object is absolutely fine, but to call someone that term is just wrong. It's not like the N word, which is slang but still just outdated.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:21 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Actually, you have unintentionally made my point - by noting that folks don't know the context of why these words are offensive. If you go into history, you will know.

And I have been called these words before and they weren't terms of endearment, believe me.

A Chinaman's chance was an old 19th century saying that someone had NO chance...it is rooted in racism.

It's probably no accident that African Americans who most object to using the N-word are of an older generation and understand the legacy of exclusion and racism towards their community.
You are completely wrong about me. I am 57 years old and I do know the history behind those words. But I chose to look forward and not dwell on the past. To study history is to learn from our collective mistakes AND never repeat them. And why would I want to ruin my awesome and happy life by thinking negative thoughts about ignorant people using derogatory names?

I was called a g**k by a white trash male who was road-raging on my white boyfriend. And called a J*p by a driver whose SUV couldn't stay within his lane on a curvy road. Anyway, they were losers and not worth hating on.

As to African-Americans who object to being called the N-word, despite the fact that they use the term all of the time themselves, well I think it a very stupid control issue on their part. And just because they demand that non-blacks not say the N-word out loud, they will never be able to prevent others from using it in their thoughts. Blacks are the ones giving the N-word the negative power. If they just didn't care, then the N-word would become useless. It also would help their cause if they stopped glorifying black gangsta/rap culture and speaking in ebonics and wearing pants falling off their asses.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:26 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,288,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sd-bound View Post
Probably the same people who still refer to blacks as colored or Negros These are the same folks who're clueless about why so many find the slavers flag insulting.

Far too many conservatives can't detect the difference between not being PC and being asshats...
Hahaha! A sad ass truth.

I'm another one who finds it strange that the OP didn't know the term isn't appropraite when referring to people.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:28 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,742,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Who knew? As it turns out, the word "oriental" is derogatory.
Most people know this. Most people outside of the City Data forum, at least.

Quote:
Until Trump is elected and repeals this right after Obamacare, I will stop using the term. How about you?
I never did use the word, because I wasn't born in the 1870's.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:39 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,834,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I can't remember using the term so I will continue not to use it

We love our oriental rug, and won't be changing our lexicon to conform to someone else's verboten words list.

Old 05-23-2016, 07:43 PM

865 posts, read 623,493 times
More of this PC BS to come in the next 6+ months
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies