Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2016, 06:54 PM

2,181 posts, read 1,630,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
TV shows do not have the power to change policies and laws that influence your life, where as the President of the United States does.

Also, im not sure if you are joking or if you honestly dont see the flaw in your logic. Not all left wingers think Trump has no chance.
I have to disagree. I think TV does influence peoples thinking especially the young.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2016, 07:12 PM

10,235 posts, read 15,946,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Activists Crash Stage, Threaten Milo Yiannopoulos at DePaul

Liberals, ever think this tyranny of ideas is the reason why Donald Trump is going to win? Because independent voters are tired of safe spaces, Black Lives Matter, "triggering", etc.?
Conservatives do picket in front of abortion clinics but that is always peaceful.

Violent protest has always been a mainstay of liberalism. This goes all the way to the 1960s when liberal protesters spat on and taunted American soldiers returning home from Vietnam calling them cowards and baby killers (though many of those individual supported abortion, oh the irony!) Look at the violence at every World Bank or IMF or G8 summit anywhere in the world, not just in America.

The Rodney King supporters who burned down more than a dozen city blocks in L.A, and the Black Lives Matter demonstrators who set cars on fire and looted stores in Baltimore and Ferguson are also mostly if not exclusively Democrats. One could argue Islamic terrorism is liberal as its the left that sympathizes with them, the left that is pro-Palestine against our allies in Israel, and most of the Americans who have joined ISIS/converted to Islam are liberals.

The media blames Trump for the violence committed by liberal protesters, just like they blamed the police in Ferguson and Baltimore of provoking the protests, even though it was found that the Ferguson PD did nothing wrong, and so far the Baltimore Police have done nothing wrong either. I'm actually surprised the Black Lives people aren't rioting again over the recent acquittal there.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:15 PM

29,607 posts, read 16,577,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper1372 View Post
Well obviously you have a valid point, and I should add, one that I thought about and evaluated before posting.

However, let me add that I do think TV shows (and other forms of media), over long periods of time, DO have the power to change people's thinking in significant ways. Every cross country trek starts with one single step, and then another, and then another etc... Eventually you arrive in a very different place than you started. In the very least they can desensitize you to whatever they are exposing you to. I've never seen a murder, or mugging or car jacking in person....but I've seen hundreds on TV. I would guess to some degree that has changed my thinking of how dangerous our world is, or may be in my own mind perhaps.

After all, the best way to change someone is slowly, very slowly, and without them ever knowing you're doing it. We've all been on the receiving and giving end of that equation. Didn't you mother ever tell you that Johnny was a bad influence on you, or you were a good influence on someone ? People tend to, again over time, emulate to some degree those they see and associate with on a regular basis. TV is that "person" to far to many people for many hours a day.
Noted.

I understand your logic, and can concede that point, but TV shows have a social angle and their "molding" of individuals over 5 or 6 years time is not the same as a President being able to change HUD or DeptofEd policy by just picking up a phone.

Quote:
To address your second valid point. Absolutely it's anyone's right to protest Trump, or any other candidate. I was making the case that he's been made out to be some sort of crazy joke of a candidate. Obviously those words come from those who don't support him....many in pretty high and very visible public positions. So I think I'm being somewhat logical when I assumed that many/most who don't support Trump don't really think they have much to worry about since Trump will never get elected.

I realize some of this is probably democrat posturing.....but I've never been much of a fan of that. I say what I mean, and I mean what I say. I may and should always say things tactfully and respectfully....but you'll understand what I'm saying. I'm not much of a fan of throwing rocks and bottles to get my point across. When that starts, you've lost me for your cause.

Trump as a candidate has no power to legislatively propose any laws, vote on any laws as an elected official, or in much of any significant way affect the citizens/voters of the USA....until, if and only if, he is in fact elected. Let him spew his brand of whatever it is he's spewing currently. He's a loose cannon most of the time. He says all kinds of off beat things. One of the things I do like about him is exactly that. He's not tightly scripted. He may say many things I don't agree with, but you do know that at that point in time that is exactly what is on his mind. As opposed to most other candidates (of both parties by the way) who tell you exactly what you want to hear, and follow their talking points perfectly....blah, blah blah ! Sure, whatever !

For the most part, I think Bernie Sanders says what he's actually thinking too. Kind of interesting to have two candidates who are like that, while being very far apart politically.
Trump right now is a candidate and has no power to actually legislate or execute. That is true, but waiting till he has that power is too late. That is my simply disagreement with that statement.

As for Trump having a chance at the presidency, it is complicated. Many of us believe he doesnt have a chance because he has no government experience what so ever, And in many cases has shown that he does not in any way know how our government works. After years of the GOP calling Barack Obama inexperienced, you would think Trump would be the last person they want.

But I dont think anyone believes it is impossible for him to win. 40% of this country is going to vote D or R no matter what, its that middle 20% that everyone is fighting over.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 PM

27,169 posts, read 15,347,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyogaH View Post
I agree that the majority of protesters are usually well-behaved, but we only see the really dangerous behavior from left-wing protesters. Conservatives aren't disrupting events by throwing rocks, clashing with police, starting fires, rushing stages, smearing themselves with fake blood, blocking highways, screaming to drown out the speakers and wearing KKK robes. This has all come from left-wing groups in the past few months.

A Liberal speaker faces basically no opposition on a college campus -- while Conservative speakers require additional security due to the powder keg of radical left protesters that show up to shut down their events and threaten the attendees. Milo was even required by DePaul to pay an additional fee for security, who then refused to remove the protesters who rushed the stage, grabbed the microphone, threatened Milo and shut down the event.

If I was a Liberal, I would be disgusted by the behavior of these people who are supposedly on my team, making the left look like a bunch of unhinged, unreasonable and violent fools. There needs to be more leadership on the left to reign in these people, because it reflects poorly on all Liberals.

Unfortunately some of those "protesters" are being paid by "leadership" supporters.

I can't rule out this is all by design in conjunction with other outrageous up endings of society to reach a misguided end.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Bullies, gotta bully.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,685,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post

Trump right now is a candidate and has no power to actually legislate or execute. That is true, but waiting till he has that power is too late. That is my simply disagreement with that statement.

According to that, we play like we elect a King now... Who knew.

I don't know what is being taught today, but we were taught the president, not the King, signs legislation passed by congress and enforces all legislation signed by him & past Presidents.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Give it a rest. All of you folks (both "sides") are collectivists.

I don't want anything shoved down my throat. Not religion, abortion restrictions, food labels, or affirmative action.

Violence is violence. Whether it's done in the street or with a pen all of you condone it.

There is an awful degree of violence in abortion.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
you are right about the animalistic blood lust... you are wrong about them not being smart.

go look up Cloward and Pivin.
go look up Saul Alinsky

They have been planning this for years.

As said, by design.

Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post
The tea parties protesting happened not too long ago...hmm

Where was the violence?

Old 05-25-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251
TV shows do not have the power to change policies and laws that influence your life, where as the President of the United States does.

Also, im not sure if you are joking or if you honestly dont see the flaw in your logic. Not all left wingers think Trump has no chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I love boots. View Post
I have to disagree. I think TV does influence peoples thinking especially the young.

The Left knows this and has strongly used it for propaganda purposes for many decades now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies