Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 07:44 PM

50,432 posts, read 47,155,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
True that "fruitcakes" do typically prefer California, because the levels of diversity and tolerance in California are also better than lots of other places in the country where red neck types don't take too kindly to folks that don't look, talk and do like they do, by golly...
Tolerance, like gun owners? Hypocrites abound in CA don't be fooled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2016, 07:46 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,585,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I have a lot of relatives in California, one who runs a construction company. Some of the stupid regulations he must abide by, make no sense at all. And gun laws, zoning, codes, too many stupid restrictions.
Interesting. My previous post posted before reading this post of yours, and the first freedoms I thought of were re guns (chance of getting a CC permit in Los Angeles County, etc.), building restrictions/permits, and the freedom to not pay a state income tax/no forms to file since it doesn't exist (I now live in Texas).

Old 06-02-2016, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Eh, then why have so many of their residents left for Texas and now trying to turn that state into the mess they left?
As I have stated in other threads, I am NOT one of those people. I'm content to not try to change Texas....to make it more like California....or anywhere else .

Old 06-02-2016, 08:19 PM

Quote:
THIS is the sort of comment that apparently best represents conservative thinking, or should we call it what it really is, blind hard right-winging bias and closed-mindedness...
No it doesn't. I'm all over the spectrum on different issues, and I agree with him.

Most of the conservatives I know vehemently disagree with the ideology/mindset of many liberals, but don't demonize the people themselves...they just think they are wrong. Quite a few liberals/progressives I know don't just think conservatives are wrong, they think they are essentially the equivalent of 'evil'.

You are confusing closed mindedness with permissiveness. Liberals may be more permissive/'open', but (with some) have an opinion that differs.....

Old 06-02-2016, 09:21 PM

22,673 posts, read 24,642,745 times
Wow, a state that has been controlled by Dog****ocrats since the 60s......kinda easy for a Dog****ocrat governor to get things done, not rocket-engineering.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:23 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,959,588 times
Quote:
I mean...

I am just curious how conservatives who rail against all things Democrat, from stifling economic activity to stifling our very way of life, our freedoms, our hopes and dreams, just how do they reconcile the fact that California continues to do fairly well as compared to most states in most ways, now expected to outpace the economic growth of the country looking forward.

Better as well compared to even most countries of which there are less than 10 in the world with bigger economies...

How is it possible that California didn't come apart economically, morally and in every other way possible long ago? The disaster Republicans are always so concerned about when it comes to all things Democrat should have ended all forms of prosperity in California long ago, right?

Instead?
If California is doing so great, why are all the Californians leaving in droves to ruin states like Montana, Colorado and Texas?

EDIT: You mentioned prices. But a lot of the reason for leaving is to escape the policies they voted for, only to try and get them passed in their new states. And they think they are smart.

Quote:
And almost always it is because they have been priced out or they are looking for where they can get a home for less money, regardless all the rest. I wish more would do so frankly, but ultimately many come back, because in the end the realization settles in, that there is a REASON real estate is pricier in California.
I think a fair number of them move back because some of us make a point to make the lefty Californians feel as unwelcome as possible.

Old 06-02-2016, 09:28 PM

30,318 posts, read 23,789,660 times
Quote:
Awfully depressing and much here I am tempted to counter as one who has lived most my life here in California, yet to have any problems with immigrants or the ER. In fact, my parents are immigrants...

But I tell you what, you don't go on and on and on about your gun issues, and I'll simply agree that it's not all "peaches and cream" here in California. Fair?

I'll just also simply add, however, that I've been all over the states and plenty times abroad. I've seem some of the most gorgeous places on the planet like Lake Como, and I've been in some of the worst, like parts of Houston, parts of Oakland. I was born in Chicago...

All seen, all told, all considered, I am not able to find any good reason to prefer anywhere else over where I live here in California. Am I biased? I suppose, yes, but with good reason I think...

Also of course, I have lived elsewhere, and there is always making the most of where we call home, in all the ways that matter most to us personally, so this can't really be a contest over where people live or how they want to spend their time.

This thread is simply to point out that all the dire straights conservatives always claim about all things related to Democrats and/or our ways in California are not well founded. That's all...
See, I'm not going to let you get away with that. I said ILLEGAL immigrants. You can pretend that I did not say ILLEGAL immigrants all that you want, as the liberals love to do that, but I will correct you every. single. time.

Old 06-02-2016, 10:12 PM

Quote:
I'll just also simply add, however, that I've been all over the states and plenty times abroad. I've seem some of the most gorgeous places on the planet like Lake Como, and I've been in some of the worst, like parts of Houston, parts of Oakland. I was born in Chicago
You don't have the wide perspective you think you have if you think parts of Oakland and parts of Houston qualify as "some of the worst" places on the planet......and I've also been all over the states and plenty of times abroad.

Old 06-02-2016, 11:06 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,191,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Eh, then why have so many of their residents left for Texas and now trying to turn that state into the mess they left?
The population has gone up by over 100,000 in my county in CA in just the last couple years. It is extremely expensive to live here so I imagine you are receiving economic refugees to your low cost area. You'll have to be specific when you say they are turning your corner into a "mess." I do not understand what you mean.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:12 AM

6,234 posts, read 3,618,022 times
Quote:
Lots of dog lovers in San Francisco and much of the state, like in England, and no doubt with that love goes what comes of the opposite end.

As with most things, you've got to take the bad with the good, or you don't get much of anything worthwhile...
Huh? This isn't about dogs--it's about homeless people defecating everywhere in broad daylight! San Francisco has become notorious for allowing this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies