Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2016, 01:44 AM

93 posts, read 86,873 times

Advertisements

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States

Quote:
The demographics of sexual orientation and gender identity in the United States have been more accurately studied in the social sciences in recent decades. In the first large-scale government survey measuring Americans’ sexual orientation, the NHIS reported in July 2014 that 1.6 percent of Americans identify as gay or lesbian, and 0.7 percent identify as bisexual.[1] In a Williams Institute review based on an June–September 2012 Gallup poll, approximately 3.4 percent of American adults identify themselves as being LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender).[2] An earlier report published in April 2011 by the Williams Institute estimated that 3.8 percent of Americans identified as gay/lesbian, bisexual, or transgender: 1.7 percent as lesbian or gay, 1.8 percent as bisexual, and 0.3 percent as transgender.[3] The 2011 Williams Institute report also states that 8.2 percent of Americans reported that they had engaged in same-sex sexual behavior, and 11 percent reported some same-sex attraction. Studies from several nations, including the U.S., conducted at varying time periods, have produced a statistical range of 1.2[3] to 6.8[4] percent of the adult population identifying as LGBT. Online surveys tend to yield higher figures than other methods,[4] a likely result of the higher degree of anonymity of Internet surveys, which elicit reduced levels of socially desirable responding.[5]
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-or-bisexual/

Quote:
A survey released Tuesday by the the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reports:

Based on the 2013 NHIS data [collected in 2013 from 34,557 adults aged 18 and over], 96.6% of adults identified as straight, 1.6% identified as gay or lesbian, and 0.7% identified as bisexual. The remaining 1.1% of adults identified as “something else[]" [0.2%,] stated “I don’t know the answer[]" [0.4%] or refused to provide an answer [0.6%].

More specifically, 1.8 percent of men self-identify as gay and 0.4 percent as bisexual, and 1.5 percent of women self-identify as lesbian and 0.9 percent as bisexual.

The results are generally in the same ballpark as past estimates — and far below the long-debunked 10 percent estimate. But past data that I’ve seen had suggested that there were about twice as many gay or bisexual men as lesbian or bisexual women; this data suggests that there is no such gender gap.
So supposedly the LGBT community as a whole is very miniscule yet at least on the web and in the news you can't go anywhere without hearing how the vast, VAST majority of people should inconvenience and go far out of their way and completely change/dismantle the way things have been for such a paltry number of people (relatively speaking). Why should the whole of society be forced to change for such an incredibly miniscule amount of people?

Old 06-02-2016, 04:14 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,117,050 times
Define "change" and "accommodate".

Old 06-02-2016, 05:09 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
How and what consenting adults do with and to each other is their concern and not mine. I do not need to accommodate them because they do not effect me. Why should I care?

Old 06-02-2016, 05:15 AM

89,053 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
For one...

Obama's foot-stomping "edict" that any sexual predator male with an exposure fetish can just stroll right into the girl's/women's multiple occupancy locker/shower room, strip down to nothing, and if he "says" he's "transgender," no girl/woman can do a thing about it except to submit to indecent exposure ...or leave. And what's to stop male voyeur sexual predators from watching girls/women undress under the same circumstances? All they have to do is "say" they're "transgender" and all's good; no one can challenge their right to be there.

Obama has set up a direct conflict between his foot-stomping "edict" and sex crime laws (including FELONY indecent exposure; felony due to occurrence on school grounds and/or age of victim/s).

I've asked several times, and NO ONE has yet been able to answer the questions... There's no definitive identification of who is or who is not transgender. What's the criteria to identify someone as such? Merely someone's "say so" about themselves? And who is monitoring access to girls'/women's multiple occupancy restroom/locker/shower room facilities to make sure that only those who actually ARE transgender are admitted to the facilities? Will there be guards at each entrance the entire time such facilities are open?

Obama, liberals, and trans SJWs clearly did NOT think through the consequences of demanding such an idiotic policy.

But don't feel bad... the University of Toronto did the same thing and then had to backtrack on their policy because male students were caught videoing female students in the shower. What I don't get is how supposedly "smart" people like college administrators, Obama, etc., never thought through their "edicts" to this and the other inevitable consequences. Do they have NO common sense? WTF?

Old 06-02-2016, 05:20 AM

27,656 posts, read 16,142,781 times
Made up issue to keep peons busy

Old 06-02-2016, 06:00 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garchompa View Post
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_d..._United_States

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...n-or-bisexual/

So supposedly the LGBT community as a whole is very miniscule yet at least on the web and in the news you can't go anywhere without hearing how the vast, VAST majority of people should inconvenience and go far out of their way and completely change/dismantle the way things have been for such a paltry number of people (relatively speaking). Why should the whole of society be forced to change for such an incredibly miniscule amount of people?

What issues, specifically, are you referring to?

The bathroom law kerfuffle? Same-sex marriage? Anti-sodomy laws?

Your post is vague to the level of being pointless.

Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 AM

956 posts, read 745,415 times
Just trying to attract more democratic voters, period. You think the Establishment actually cares about any body?

Old 06-02-2016, 07:07 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
Made up issue to keep peons busy
The issue is when laws are passed; either laws from the state infringing upon what should be local decisions or laws that strip the rights of individuals and businesses in order to be PC.

I only became concerned when the reactionary left and right started introducing legislation.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:25 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,296,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
^^^^ This. The mainstream acceptance of homosexuals, including gay marriage, has had no impact whatsoever on my day to day life. I haven't had to change or modify my behavior at all. Then again I've never been a homophobe.

Old 06-02-2016, 01:33 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,948,315 times
I think the demographic statistics cited are wrong.

There is a higher percentage of gay, lesbian and bisexual people in the US, but because there is still a stigma attached to it in many parts of the US they would be reluctant to come out and identify themselves to poll or survey takers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies