Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Jerry Brown sign the bill making it California Law ?
Yes. Any person from anyone in the world will come to CA for free health care. 32 94.12%
No, he will not sign the bill as it violates his principles. 2 5.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2016, 01:46 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,957,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
If they are Americans committing crime, they go through the legal process
which can include incarceration.
If they are not Americans, they are deported from the country.

This is not rocket science.
Just one thing........they keep coming back, freely and whenever they want to.

San Francisco citizen killed by an illegal who re-enter 5 times. One would think instead of washing feet of illegals, Pelosi would be taking care of her citizens that pay taxes. A once rich city is now known as a poor sanctuary city.......how does this happen in America? In time all those old buildings with rich culture will no longer tell the story of that once beautiful city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2016, 01:49 PM

271 posts, read 214,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I'm a fifth generation Californian and my family roots go back to when my great, great grandfather jumped a Russian whaling ship when it stopped in the sleepy little town of San Francisco in 1846 two years before the gold rush.

I was born in Redwood City in 1948 and I do remember when the El Camino between the towns of Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale and Santa Clara was a two lane road with pear, cherry and prune orchards.

If you remember the "Moonlight Drive-In" behind the strip mall at El Camino and Kiely Blvd then you are as old as I am.

San Jose was a small airport and I remember picking green beans for 3 cents a pound when I was 12 years old. Good summer job and if I worked hard I could pick myself up $3.00. That is equivalent to $24.25 today.

Between 101 (Bayshore Freeway) and the water there was nothing but empty fields all the way from just south of Candlestick Park to San Jose. I remember seeing cows and bales of hay.

In 1960 we purchased a new four bedroom/two bath house on Dundee Drive in Santa Clara for $29,900. It was called the Bonnie Brae development and I remember playing around the deep trenches that were dug for storm and sewer lines in Monroe Street.

I also played in the Hetch Hetchy (I think that was it) water tunnel. It was huge, it was concrete and a 12 year old boy could get lost for days in those tunnels.

There were very few Hispanics.

In 1950 the entire family was in California; aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and great grandparents. Everyone lived mostly just south of San Francisco while a few lived in the Los Angeles area.

Today I have one aunt (94 years old) and two cousins living in California while everyone else left.

I do go back once in every few years and the place is unrecognizable and you couldn't pay me enough to move there. It is like a foreign land filled with foreigners from all over the world.
Just so I'm clear, it's fine that your ancestor jumped ship and entered the US, but not for people to do it now. Right?

Old 06-08-2016, 01:57 PM

732 posts, read 1,047,496 times
So, some of you old meanies would deny free health care to the dreamers?

You always know when it's a big election year when Dems do everything they can to ensure a massive hispanic voter turnout.

What's next? Free limousine rides from the border to the clinics?

Old 06-08-2016, 02:15 PM

9,981 posts, read 8,606,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Just one thing........they keep coming back, freely and whenever they want to.

San Francisco citizen killed by an illegal who re-enter 5 times. One would think instead of washing feet of illegals, Pelosi would be taking care of her citizens that pay taxes. A once rich city is now known as a poor sanctuary city.......how does this happen in America? In time all those old buildings with rich culture will no longer tell the story of that once beautiful city.
America is a democracy, so the people who have the most babies
choose the winners and losers, eventually.

Working women don't have many babies, but welfare moms do.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:23 PM

1,649 posts, read 1,010,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post
Just so I'm clear, it's fine that your ancestor jumped ship and entered the US, but not for people to do it now. Right?
That wasn't against the law back then. You simply applied for citizenship and that was that.

We didn't have over 300 million people, and it was before social welfare programs.

Apples to Oranges

Old 06-08-2016, 02:26 PM

63,019 posts, read 29,229,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yermum View Post

Are you comparing a time when there were no immigration laws when the settlers came here? Really? There was no U.S. back then either.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
That wasn't against the law back then. You simply applied for citizenship and that was that.

We didn't have over 300 million people, and it was before social welfare programs.

Apples to Oranges

That only goes back to 1776 when the U.S. became a country. Prior to that there were no immigration laws. You're right however, apples to oranges.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I tend to think that illegal immigrants should have access for deadly AND contagious infections. I would say it should meet both criteria before we even discuss allowing it. The reason I think that's not unreasonable should be obvious, but I'll explain anyway: illegal immigrants are here rather or not we like it. We can try and remove them, but there's millions of them. That's going to take time. And if one of them gets a serious illness that can spread relatively easily, that can quickly become everyone's problem. Using the same line of logic that those who want to put illegal immigrants in prison before deporting them, I'd say treat them if their illness is likely to spread to others and put people's lives at risk.

But I don't want the government covering their visit because they've been constipated or whatever.

In fairness, it's not a requirement. State's have a level of sovereignty though. While Obamacare wouldn't mandate this, technically, nothing in the bill says a state can't choose to allow illegal immigrants access to subsidized healthcare.

We don't need to remove them en masse. Just enforce the laws on the books and remove all of the incentives for them to remain here. Problem solved. Just because they are here doesn't mean we can't take steps to remove them even if it does take time. It's those that don't even want to try that make me ill. Not only that but if we don't do something more will just be encouraged to come. They will get the memo that they aren't going to be tolerated coming here illegally rather than like to today where the welcome mat is being put out for them.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:35 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,658,782 times
Giving any assistance to illegal alien invaders is treason to the USA. These people march around flying the Mexican Flag. They throw things at our law enforcement. They should be arrested instead of aided. I answered what he should do.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:01 PM

271 posts, read 214,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Are you comparing a time when there were no immigration laws when the settlers came here? Really? There was no U.S. back then either.
I just do find it very amusing that the poster started off with his/her ENTIRE story with how his/her ancestor came here "illegally" and then saying how horrible it is for others to do the same thing. The irony is quite risible.

And no I'm not condoning illegal immigration, or giving health benefits to illegal immigrants, etc. etc. so don't even start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies