Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2016, 10:12 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,113,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
Actual religious exemptions from US laws are actually quite rare.

Meanwhile, Sharia is a complete religious and legal system on its own. That's very different from the rare religious exemption.

That's a bad comparison.
And yet Conservatives have been trying to make it the norm for years, and kicked it into overdrive in last 8 years. If Conservatives are so worried about Muslims getting exemptions from the legal system, WTF are they clearing the way w/ their own demands for Christian exemptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 07:33 AM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
And yet Conservatives have been trying to make it the norm for years, and kicked it into overdrive in last 8 years. If Conservatives are so worried about Muslims getting exemptions from the legal system, WTF are they clearing the way w/ their own demands for Christian exemptions?
You're trying to argue "Good sauce for the goose is good sauce for the gander." That's not how their logic goes.

Their logic goes: "We are Christian Americans and this is Christian America, so we get our way, period. You go to your own country and get your way."

Old 06-11-2016, 07:37 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,876,676 times
We tested Sharia in Florida . Sharia law is not comparable with your laws and judicial system and we are Ill prepared to navigate it's methodology nor are we inclined to learn or grasp it not withstanding placing it in the hands of foreigners who do grasp it. . There are many countries who have THEIR laws not applicable in this nation. We have zero responsibility to incorporate non constitutional laws or amendment and althoug the Muslims hold Sharia sacred and justified they must adhere to America's laws without exceptionexception. There is an additional THREAT recognized by Homeland ,FBI and CIA that a movement to introduce Sharia is a combination of a subversive attempt to systematically spread Islam worldwide and that individual application are simply baby steps to advance Islam into the political process, schools and as we discussed law. This I guarantee will lead to civil unrest and extreme danger by suprematists who will begin to harm innocent Muslims treating all as radical displaced threats to our society.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:40 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
You're trying to argue "Good sauce for the goose is good sauce for the gander." That's not how their logic goes.

Their logic goes: "We are Christian Americans and this is Christian America, so we get our way, period. You go to your own country and get your way."
I don't take this argument like that.

To me, it's not a question of ordinary fairness. Weakening the divide between church and state is dangerous. And it's MOST dangerous for religious people! Some religious people understand this very well.

Old 06-11-2016, 07:42 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,754,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
We tested Sharia in Florida . Sharia law is not comparable with your laws and judicial system and we are
I'll prepated to navigate it's methodology nor are we inclined to learn or grasp it not withstanding placing
it in the hands of foreigners . There are many countries who have THEIR laws not applicable in this
country. We have zero responsibility to incorporate non constitutional laws or amendment and although
we realize Muslims hold Sharia sacred and justified they must adhere to America's laws without exception.
There is an additional THREAT recognized by Homeland ,FBI and CIA that a movement to introduce Sharia
is a combination of a subversive attempt to systematically spread Islam worldwide and that individual
application are simply baby steps to advance Islam into the political process, schools and as we discussed
law. This I guarantee will lead to civil unrest and extreme danger by suprematists who will begin to harm
innocent Muslims treating all as radical displaced threats to our society.
What do you mean? How was this testing done? I'm genuinely interested in the details here.

Old 06-11-2016, 08:59 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
There have been Jewish courts for generations. They only arbitrate family law (such as divorce) and of course do not supersede US law, but if everyone involved wants to pursue legal action within those constructs, then why does it bother you?
When we don't demand assimilation we are allowing colonization.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:00 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkirkham View Post
No it's not, stop repeating this crap and please don't post a YouTube video from BritainFirst in reply
Britain First? My wife's Dad lives in London. Ive seen it and heard his stories. I also talked to a few brits when I was in Germany who actually said they were concerned also about all the recent immigration issues they are having...

Old 06-11-2016, 10:01 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STWR View Post
I absolutely despise Sharia law and to be honest I think Islam in general is objectively awful... which puts me in the unfortunate position of being on the same side as a lot of bigots. But I believe in the values of western liberal democracy and it opposes pretty much everything I believe in.

On the other hand, if all Muslims agree to follow these rules and don't apply them to anyone who doesn't want to follow them, then it's debatable whether or not forcing them to follow the laws of our western liberal democracies simply because they live here is the way to go. I want to say there could be a compromise, but I'm not sure that's even possible.

So yes, it's a problem.

So......maybe you should rethink how you define bigotry.

Here's a clue.......not all cultures are morally equivalent.
Pointing that out does not make you a bigot, especially from a human rights perspective.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:19 PM

28,672 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I don't take this argument like that.

To me, it's not a question of ordinary fairness. Weakening the divide between church and state is dangerous. And it's MOST dangerous for religious people! Some religious people understand this very well.
I agree that the best argument is separation of church and state.

Old 06-11-2016, 02:29 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,059,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Britain First? My wife's Dad lives in London. Ive seen it and heard his stories. I also talked to a few brits when I was in Germany who actually said they were concerned also about all the recent immigration issues they are having...
so you haven't seen it, you've heard stories and yeh, some Brits are Britain First supporters.
There are NO SHARIA PATROLS and London is not LONDISTAN
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies