Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2016, 11:39 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
....regulating even 3D printed guns, .
Other than law abiding citizens you are not going to regulate 3D printed guns, there is nothing you can do to prevent it.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:40 AM

9,701 posts, read 5,111,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Because I don't live my life in fear of law abiding citizens.

I'm not supporting letting criminals or terrorists have unfettered access to guns.....I'm just saying that your not going to be able to do anything about it soon, other than lock up criminals and stop unfettered immigration from countries that are known to support terrorism.

If your looking for a real, long term solution to the problem, your going to have to treat it like a people problem, not a gun problem.
Gun crime is not a people problem. It's a product problem. Just like cancer from smoking is not a people problem, but a product problem that we addressed with taxes, education, and strict laws.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,481 times
Quote:
How are you not more terrified of this future? I don't know anyone, gun supporter or not, who thinks anyone, especially criminals should have unfettered access to guns. Yet here we are, welcoming in the ability and freedom to make functioning guns yourself w/ no obstacles other than money.
I don't want criminals to have access to guns. I want criminals locked up. But if they have served their time and society thinks they can walk among us then they should have every right as I have.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:44 AM

4,677 posts, read 5,767,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Lets open the discussion honestly and in earnest. How do we prevent guns from getting into the wrong hands. You don't like any laws being suggested - don't just obscure and block - give a reasonable suggestion that will work. Everybody should have access to a gun if they want is not the answer.
Do you know what crazy people who wanted to kill lots of people did before widespread access to firearms?

Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,001,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
I have to sadly agree.
If the day comes that the US Supreme Court abolishes/re writes the 2nd amendment then there will only one group to blame, the NRA and the Republican politicians they own for refusing to accept reasonable gun laws.

Think it can't happen? I wouldn't put any money on it.
What reasonable law would you propose, that doesn't infringe upon my rights.

The SCOTUS can only rule upon law, they can not make law or change law.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:46 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,045,587 times
Quote:
And how well has everyone being armed worked in crime-ridden areas of the country for safeguarding the population?
The highest crime areas in Chicago have some of the lowest percentages of legal gun ownership in the country. Would increasing that percentage help? Perhaps.

Where I live about 90% of households will have a gun inside, the crime rate is minimal and the murder rate is 0. That's not because of guns, it's because of the people that live here.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:48 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
So what do you consider the AR-15 that was used, would you define it as an assault weapon. By the way it kills "many" people.

Not that it's important but how do you define assault weapon.
Why do you think it's not important to define something that you are advocating banning?

There are a lot of guns that are not considered "assault weapons" that could kill just as many people in the same time span.

Things that have been used to define "assault weapons" by the anti gun left include such non-functional things as pistol grips, flash suppressors, bayonet mounts etc. that have absolutely no effect on how many rounds the gun will fire or how fast it will fire them.

Most ordinary people who support gun restrictions have no clue about what they are advocating banning....they are just letting some politician tell them what defines a gun they don't like and are probably ignorant of also.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:51 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
If Hillary is suggesting moslems not be allowed to buy firearms, she should come out and say it, not allude to it in vague generalities.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:54 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,522,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Why are certain posters here bringing up box cutters as a counter argument to regulation of guns?
It was a progressive who brought up regulation re commercial aviation practices in the wake of 9/11 as a justification for more gun control.

Old 06-14-2016, 11:54 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's impossible to build a gun from scratch. I'm asking if it's so quick and easy to build a gun from scratch, enough to supply the black market in the event of a crackdown on legal guns, then why hasn't an industry of microgunsmiths sprouted up?

Gov't regulations isn't an answer b/c the gov't regulates microbreweries & distilleries, and those have been growing for the last few decades, making the founders rich.

If you could make 2,000 guns like you said, that's a $400k+ you could be making by going into business for yourself.

Because the technology is just now emerging.
And like all technology, it will only get cheaper, more plentiful and more powerful with time.

You really will be better off focusing on the type people we let run loose in society than on guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies