Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we have stricter gun-ownership laws?
Yes 114 28.08%
No 292 71.92%
Voters: 406. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 05:58 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,235,190 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by Greatday
Quote:
No, that is incorrect.
In that case, might this not be the problem? It is easy for a toddler to kill an adult when it discovers how to use and reload a small handgun.
Let alone armed teenagers under the influence of drugs. Under the influence their mental capacity might not be that much bigger than those of toddlers, but they have the body of adults which makes the handling much easier.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:02 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
In that case, might this not be the problem? It is easy for a toddler to kill an adult when it discovers how to use and reload a small handgun.
Let alone armed teenagers under the influence of drugs. Under the influence their mental capacity might not be that much bigger than those of toddlers, but they have the body of adults which makes the handling much easier.
No, that is not part of the problem.

I put a firearm in the hands of my sons when they were very young - when they were first introduced to hunting.

Sorry to disappoint you.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:14 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatdayIn that case, might this not be the problem? It is easy for a toddler to kill an adult when it discovers how to use and reload a small handgun.
I love the Europeans, they are always so cute with their ignorance of firearms.

Have you ever held a firearm? Have you ever fired a firearm? Do you know anyone who owns a gun or have previously owned a firearm? Can you tell me where the safety is on most pistols?

Not saying this to taunt you or anything, but you just scream that you have never ever been around firearms in your life. Maybe if you have, you wouldn't be so hostile towards it.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
I put a firearm in the hands of my sons when they were very young - when they were first introduced to hunting.
And they were under the influence of drugs?
BTW are your sons the example of how the average American youth are raised?
I bet that the most people who use guns and commit crimes have not that much in common with how you raised your children.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:20 AM

Quote:
And they were under the influence of drugs?
BTW are your sons the example of how the average American youth are raised?

I bet that the most people who use guns and commit crimes have not that much in common with how you raised your children.
No, they were not on drugs.

Inasmuch as you do not know too much about firearms, I might suggest that your perspective is very .... "narrow".

Old 02-23-2008, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni
Quote:
Have you ever held a firearm? Have you ever fired a firearm? Do you know anyone who owns a gun or have previously owned a firearm? Can you tell me where the safety is on most pistols?
Nope I only fired Uzis and a law and had thrown a grenade when I was drafted in the army.
I find using bows and arrows more complicated than shooting with a law or an Uzi.

Last edited by Tricky D; 02-23-2008 at 06:35 AM.. Reason: translation error

Old 02-23-2008, 06:35 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni Nope I only fired Uzis and a law and had thrown a grenade when I was drafted in the army.
I find shooting bows and arrows more complicated than using a law or an Uzi.
Anything a bit less military? Like a hunting rifle?

And in many American communities (and Canadian for that matter) it is not uncommon for children to go hunting with their parent (okay, usually father) and use firearms to do so.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni
Quote:
And in many American communities (and Canadian for that matter) it is not uncommon for children to go hunting with their parent (okay, usually father) and use firearms to do so.
Okay and how many kids from the big cities, especially the poor ones who are easily seduced to turn to crime, are educated by an adult how to use firearms?

Quote:
Anything a bit less military? Like a hunting rifle?
Only bow and arrows as a sport.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni Okay and how many kids from the big cities, especially the poor ones who are easily seduced to turn to crime, are educated by an adult how to use firearms?
Again, your point is??? What????

Old 02-23-2008, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Again, your point is??? What????
Whaddaya mean again?
Anywayz, my point is that you make laws as a (possible) solution to existing problems.
You do not create laws for things that already work smoothly.
So I would find it prudent to need a license and be instructed in the use of firearms whenever you want to buy one.
I automatically assumed that one would need to be instructed in the use of firearms in order to get a liscense but I realise that this might not be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies