Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support two weeks of mandatory vacation for all full-time workers in the US?
Yes 112 52.83%
No 100 47.17%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 07:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Why is the government banning online gambling, 21 years legal age for alcohol, executing people, banning marijuana, creating a massive prison industrial complex + a military industrial complex and giving huge gifts to the big pharma industries?

Most people who want progress want a reduced government in many areas and an increased role in other areas. The goal of the government should be to serve and represent the American people, everyone, not just the donor class.
A whole lot of class envy in these posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
The corporations are not going to do ANYTHING that is good and healthy
for society unless they are FORCED to !!!
Lumping companies together as 'the corporations' isn't really fair. For example....

100 Best Companies to Work For - Fortune

Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A whole lot of class envy in these posts.
Yep.

And it is what he and other progressives see as 'progress', not what others see.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:04 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
I'd guess a lot of it has to do with people starting a business who have no idea how much work it is, how nothing is guaranteed
And the propensity for risk taking and work rate is strongly genetic, which no one controls at all. In other words, people who love risks do it because they were born that way. I dont see how they deserve to be deified and fawned over for something they have no control over.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Really? You've been "destroyed" by welfare schemes? If you've been "destroyed", how are you here posting?
He wrote that the government has a hand in destroying family values. He didn't make any personal reference to himself. Linking him to having a family whose values might be being destroyed has nothing directly to do with what Frank posted. He might be single.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course you do. Thats why we have worker's rights. Are you against all worker's rights? It is more important than ever now that unions are severely weakened, which provided a certain balance of power between worker and employer.

If you don't like what your employer offers you are free to find another employer. It's not like you have no choice but to work for THAT employer.

Yes, I believe in workers rights like the right to be paid the same as someone else doing the same job you do. I don't think employers owe anyone perks though unless they are doing a job worth those perks and employers determine that. I won't get vacation time for my second job. I don't expect to. It's a job anyone could do. It's not something that requires a special skill. Now it could lead to a position that does and then I'll negotiate. Until then "vacation" time is unpaid time off and I don't expect anything different. I'm not taking a job that is worthy of paid vacation. Will I take vacation? Yes. I just won't get paid for it.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,344,722 times
Quote:

No, you seem to be missing the point. For most products, you can only pay X for labor. The lower the productivity time will generally relate to a lower amount that can be paid for labor. If this wasn't the case you could pay a factory worker $400k and give him 8 months vacation. Why would that not work?
You continue to live in the past which is the trademark of conservatives. As I said before society is moving forward and hopefully will not stay stuck in the past.

In the not so distant future humans will likely work 20 hours a week and have three months of vacation. If you care to leave the past behind you will have to accept that with automation humans will be replace with machines at a fraction of the cost that is paid to to workers. If everybody is out of work guess what happens? We end up with a bloody revolution. Furthermore, if no one is earning any income we do not have an economy. So at some point the corporate America you defend will have to figure something out. And that will be very short work hours for the few remaining jobs that cannot be automated. And most people will have LOTS of vacation.

Your dream of big dog eats the little dog will be over.

Last edited by Julian658; 06-20-2016 at 08:41 PM..

Old 06-20-2016, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Why are you equating lower vacation rates currently to the standards of workers during the Industrial Revolution? That is absurd!
Because he is a progressive.

Quote:
No one OWES you a job, much less paid time away from it.
Yep.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Not when tax dollars pay your salary. You should be paid the least possible amount and get the minimum with regard to benefits. We have to stop feeding the beast. More people would seek employment outside of the Leviathan of government if it was not a beneficial place to work!!
Yep.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Why must you hyperbolize every issue. Either I support government intervention and mandatory oversight of private business, or I support indentured servitude and child labor?
Because he is a progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies