Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2016, 06:42 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,799,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahzzie View Post
Why don't you just drop this ridiculous charade of yours and admit the REAL reason you are upset is because the abortion clinics that were going to close due to this law will now remain open.
I am upset that UNLICENSED surgical clinics are allowed to operate.

Like I said, With this decision, SCOTUS has ruled that women and their health care needs are 2nd class... It's a start... The precedent has been set. In what other areas will women be forced to accept being treated as 2nd class and not worthy of the same high standards others are provided by law?

Quote:
Before this you didn't give two sh**s about women's health.
WTF are you talking about? I'm a woman. It angers me that liberals think it's OK to have a double standard in health care quality. Minimum standards required for ambulatory surgery centers, but NOT for centers that perform surgical procedures on women, exclusively. Can you all really NOT see that you're advocating for and celebrating setting legal precedent that women can be treated as 2nd class citizens? How can so many of you be so blind and so dense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 06:50 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Frankly, I think inequality of access to a legal health care procedure is a much stronger indicator that American women are being treated as 2nd class citizens. And we can go back to the colonoscopy argument, but you're not interested in addressing that one, are you?

Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Frankly, I think inequality of access to a legal health care procedure is a much stronger indicator that American women are being treated as 2nd class citizens.
That's exactly what this SCOTUS ruling does: Women have unequal access to health care that meets minimum surgical standards.
Quote:
And we can go back to the colonoscopy argument, but you're not interested in addressing that one, are you?
Colonoscopy is a diagnostic test. Suction aspiration abortion is a surgical procedure that involves the forceful removal of tissue from an internal organ.

I do agree that prescription drug induced abortions can be obtained by visiting a doctor's office to get the prescription, but the prescribing doctor should have admitting privileges if such an abortion is incomplete thereby necessitating a surgical procedure.

None of that is unreasonable.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:00 AM

57,242 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect. They're the same standards required of all ambulatory surgery centers. This law brought women's health care up to those same standards for surgical procedures.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp-content...egislators.pdf

The Gosnell case cited in the amicus brief, just as one example of what happens when abortion centers don't have to meet ambulatory surgery center standards:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-need-to-know/

EXACTLY what the Texas law did. Think about that.
No what the Texas law did was require that clinics meet ASC requirements which includes construction, fire safety, physical plant such heating air conditioning. This would have cost these facilities over $1M a year.

The DA in the Gosnell case required the facilities to be "regulated" as ASC facilities, big difference. The problem with the Philadelphia Clinics was regulatory since Gosnell's facility had not been inspected in 16 years. The new standard requires yearly inspections, it did not require widening of hallways and other things. There were 5 clinics that closed in the entire state of PA as per your article, the new regulation were supported by right to choose groups including PP.

Half of the clinics in Texas closed in around a year because of HB2, that is the difference.

Last edited by Goodnight; 06-29-2016 at 07:11 AM..

Old 06-29-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
No what the Texas law did was require the clinics to meet ASC requirements which includes construction, fire safety, physical plant such heating air conditioning. This would have cost these facilities over $1M a year.
The PA law, enacted before the TX law, did the same thing: required abortion centers to meet ambulatory surgery center standards. Why no problem then? Why was it only a problem when Texas did the same?

Quote:
The DA in the Gosnell case required the facilities to be "regulated" as ASC facilities, big difference.
That's the same thing. Minimum standards must be met.

Quote:
Half of the clinics in Texas closed in around a year because of HB2, that is the difference.
That should be telling you the low quality of care liberals are advocating for women, specifically.

Why not go after all ambulatory surgery centers' requirements? Why is it that liberals only want abortion centers to be free of meeting minimum standards?

Misogynists, the lot of you.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:12 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,527,920 times
I'm for it in the case of rape & as someone else stated that the fetus hasn't gone past said days.

NO ONE should be able to tell another what they can & can not do with THIER body! No government, no religious group NO ONE! Some people need to get that though their heads!

I don't want anyone tell me I can't have a tattoo, etc. What's next I can't smoke in my own house?
I can't watch what I want on TV?

Stay out of the lives of other people you don't have the right to tell someone else how they should live, believe or what to do with THIER bodies!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:17 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,200,998 times
Quote:
That's exactly what this SCOTUS ruling does: Women have unequal access to health care that meets minimum surgical standards.
Colonoscopy is a diagnostic test. Suction aspiration abortion is a surgical procedure that involves the forceful removal of tissue from an internal organ.

I do agree that prescription drug induced abortions can be obtained by visiting a doctor's office to get the prescription, but the prescribing doctor should have admitting privileges if such an abortion is incomplete thereby necessitating a surgical procedure.

And yet surgical aspiration for miscarriages can be done in an office that was not covered under the new law.

57,242 posts, read 26,182,129 times
Quote:
The PA law, enacted before the TX law, did the same thing: required abortion centers to meet ambulatory surgery center standards. Why no problem then? Why was it only a problem when Texas did the same?

That should be telling you the low quality of care liberals are advocating for women, specifically.

Why not go after all ambulatory surgery centers' requirements? Why is it that liberals only want abortion centers to be free of meeting minimum standards?

No it's not the same thing and I already explained the distinction between PA and TX but you are ignoring the obvious. Texas required wholesale construction standards., PA did not.

Rather than repeating the same thing use some common sense, why do you think pro-choice groups supported the PA regulations but not Texas.

17,077 posts, read 13,359,835 times
Quote:

Admitting privileges to where exactly? Women in west TX and other parts of the country often travel more than a hundred miles to receive a medical abortion, meaning they are not within thirty miles of the clinic if they have complications. And I've already told you repeatedly that hospitals routinely turn down admitting privileges for doctors who perform abortions, either because the Board has moral objections or they are afraid of the business consequences, meaning even a willing and qualified doctor is prevented from performing the procedure. (This happened to me, as you'll recall!) OR, alternatively, because the doctor cannot maintain the admission rate necessary to maintain privileges, ironically because the abortion procedure is so safe.

I am equally frustrated with you, btw, that you cannot seem to wrap your head around the reality of what these regulations are truly intended to accomplish, which has absolutely nothing to do with protecting women's health. The legislation's only purpose was to further restrict access to a legal and safe procedure, and I'm glad SCOTUS saw right through the charade.

If you are so convinced that this is only about patient safety, why are you not equally upset that abortion providers are denied the admitting privileges that would ensure they could continue to operate? If you will acknowledge that as the huge elephant in the room that everyone is ignoring, then we can talk about surgical centers.

Old 06-29-2016, 07:18 AM

11,027 posts, read 6,504,277 times
Quote:

And the Oscar Award for Best Dramatic Performance goes to ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies