Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 12:25 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,252,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
so then the reality is that if something is vital to the economy you will not want to ban it? perhaps you need to start with a ton of other items first then instead. but take away the manufacture and sale of firearms, and you in fact do harm to the economy. remember it isnt just the guns themselves, but the ammunition, repair parts, gun ranges, service, among a number of things i am forgetting right now, and that means a fairly large chunk of the economy gets harmed if you ban guns.

and of course there are a lot of people that make their livings using guns, and i dont mean criminals either. a lot of people hunt to put food on the table, an then there are the cops, military, private security, and the various paramilitary and government contractors(black water mean anything to you?).

I said if guns are as vital to the economy as cars, then I'll leave it alone. So let's look at the numbers:

Annual guns sales revenue: $13.5 billions.

Annual cars sales revenue: $570 billions.

The economy of guns is only 2.3% of cars.

But the most important aspect is that cars help transport goods and people. Banning cars would effectively impacts EVERY industry in USA from supermarkets to offices. It'll essentially destroy the country.

Banning guns will P off a few people and shutter some businesses for sure, but it has nowhere near the economic impact of cars.

Not one single developed nations manage to strive without cars. Most have strive without guns.

Last edited by beb0p; 07-07-2016 at 12:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 02:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,897,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
I said if guns are as vital to the economy as cars, then I'll leave it alone. So let's look at the numbers:

But the most important aspect is that cars help transport goods and people. Banning cars would effectively impacts EVERY industry in USA from supermarkets to offices. It'll essentially destroy the country.

Banning guns will P off a few people and shutter some businesses for sure, but it has nowhere near the economic impact of cars.

Not one single developed nations manage to strive without cars. Most have strive without guns.
once gain you show your ignorance. it isnt just the guns, factor in the ammunition sales, hunting licenses, repair parts, service, gun ranges, etc. take away gun sales, and you really do hurt the economy at large, especially on the scale of the US gun markets.

Old 07-08-2016, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
once gain you show your ignorance. it isnt just the guns, factor in the ammunition sales, hunting licenses, repair parts, service, gun ranges, etc. take away gun sales, and you really do hurt the economy at large, especially on the scale of the US gun markets.
That's not my point is it? I never said if taking away guns hurt the economy then I'd leave it alone. I said if guns are AS VITAL to the economy as cars, then I'd leave it alone. I bold the "AS VITAL" part because you keep ignoring this key words.

Even if you factor in the guns, ammunition sales, licenses, and the whole shebang; guns are still nowhere near as important as cars. Not even close.

I bet you, if we take the guns away tomorrow; consumers will just find different hobbies to fill the void. The gun shops might sell lawnmowers instead of guns. Your gun nuts might opt to use the money to buy a gym membership. The gun ranges become marijuana dispensaries, etc, etc. The point is, our economy can withstand the complete removal of guns economically. It absolutely cannot do the same for cars.

Old 07-08-2016, 04:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,299,963 times
The whole economy issue is irrelevant. It could be a drain on the economy and it would matter none. It's a Constitutionally acknowledged right.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The whole economy issue is irrelevant. It could be a drain on the economy and it would matter none. It's a Constitutionally acknowledged right.

The Amendment is quite simply outdated.

But yes, that is the only valid argument your side can make.

Old 07-13-2016, 12:40 AM

4,750 posts, read 3,574,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
Wow, big thumbs up and a smile...you seem thrilled that innocent people were murdered. Pretty disgusting coming from you folks that claim to be all for human rights, equality, and all that jazz.
Look at the DNC staffer thread - - he was murdered and piece of crap Teabaggers are happy about it. Typical Republican scum.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:57 AM

29,597 posts, read 14,737,412 times

Sounds like a murdering criminal to me.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Another snarky remark from a liberal gun grabber. Typical.

It really is a disease, and we are quite lucky they don't like firearms...well the majority of them. Although, look what happens when they do.

http://rightwingnews.com/wp-content/...ooters-800.jpg

Old 07-13-2016, 06:03 AM

35,769 posts, read 21,130,870 times
well they are a responsible gun owner-- until they make stupid moves, then they are disowned immediately - and he becomes part of those people

Old 07-13-2016, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post

Like this one ? Looks like they are rethinking their laws....
Brazil Has Nearly 60,000 Murders, And It May Relax Gun Laws : Parallels : NPR
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies